Guest melandthensome

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Has anyone seen this before........if so whats it like please.

Never heard it, but its an early one (1957) and on the flip to "Walk Awhile".

Was also issued 12 months later on the APT label, with same flip.

Everlast gave us the original Charts 45 "Desiree" (a DooWop classic) so this may well be in the same vein.

Campbell is of course famed over here for his Motown material (Hits Of The Sixties - 1965) and his Seventies productions, in Canada, on Candy Apple (his own Funk classic "Street Scene LP") and then with Albert Jones (You & Your Love etc.) on Candy Apple and Carla Whitney on Attic... probably a hundred years from the Everlast track in question.

Sorry, can't answer your question, as I've never heard it... but I'm pretty curious and would like to!

Sean

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Never heard it, but its an early one (1957) and on the flip to "Walk Awhile".

Was also issued 12 months later on the APT label, with same flip.

Everlast gave us the original Charts 45 "Desiree" (a DooWop classic) so this may well be in the same vein.

Campbell is of course famed over here for his Motown material (Hits Of The Sixties - 1965) and his Seventies productions, in Canada, on Candy Apple (his own Funk classic "Street Scene LP") and then with Albert Jones (You & Your Love etc.) on Candy Apple and Carla Whitney on Attic... probably a hundred years from the Everlast track in question.

Sorry, can't answer your question, as I've never heard it... but I'm pretty curious and would like to!

Sean

I have heard this - it's decent, if unexceptional, mid 50s R & B. The Everlast label was run by Danny Robinson, whose brother Bobby had Fire, Fury and Enjoy among his many labels. Choker also had good small group R & B sides on several other labels, including Atlantic, in the early 50s. Nothing that would appeal to most Sourcers, I'm sure, but all very acceptable in their own way!

TONE :(

Social source share

Cheers Sean

it sure is obscure.........

another thing how did 'CHOKER' get that name....... :(

I think the answer may lie in your picture!

Walter "Choker" Campbell was a Tenor Sax man... who used to "choke the notes out of that sax".

He was born in Shelby, MS March 21 1916 and passed away in Detroit July 20 1993.

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!