First Class - They Are First Class - All Platinum LP

Cbills428

I found this record in a collection I purchased recently and I'm hoping someone could give me a little information or background on its history. I think it would be interesting to know what the story is behind it, as we all know the owners behind All-Platinum soon started the famous Hip Hop label Sugar Hill around this time.

The tracklisting is very similar to their self-titled LP on Sugar Hill (SH-255) but slightly different. The cover is also different. It has a plain white cover with orange font. I originally passed it over but just recently grabbed it out and listened to it. I expected it to be more disco or more modern due to its release date (1977?) but the songs are all very nice, more old-school group harmony sounding than expected. It also seems to be very rare. The before mentioned LP (SH-255) goes for about $200-$300 but not much history on this one. If anyone has this or is able to provide a little info, it would be greatly appreciated!

-Chris

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

4 hours ago, CBills428 said:

I found this record in a collection I purchased recently and I'm hoping someone could give me a little information or background on its history. I think it would be interesting to know what the story is behind it, as we all know the owners behind All-Platinum soon started the famous Hip Hop label Sugar Hill around this time.

The tracklisting is very similar to their self-titled LP on Sugar Hill (SH-255) but slightly different. The cover is also different. It has a plain white cover with orange font. I originally passed it over but just recently grabbed it out and listened to it. I expected it to be more disco or more modern due to its release date (1977?) but the songs are all very nice, more old-school group harmony sounding than expected. It also seems to be very rare. The before mentioned LP (SH-255) goes for about $200-$300 but not much history on this one. If anyone has this or is able to provide a little info, it would be greatly appreciated!

-Chris

How 'bout posting a scan of the LP ?

Social source share

Thanks. Very interesting. Your LP would appear to be the first release on All Platinum from 1977.

The LP ,  as you say,   is more usually seen as the Sugar Hill label release below from 1980 with the same track listing.

LP First Class - Sugar Hill *Modern/northern/sweet soul

Some of the tracks on the LP were clearly recorded before 1977,  let alone 1980.

None of the tracks, to my knowledge, were released on 7". 

If you want to let the All Platinum LP go, please let me know !!!

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert