New York Record Shops

Guest JohanT

Hi,

I'm going to NYC for a short vacation later in October. Can anyone help me with recommendations for record shops (I'm mainly after 7"and 12" from the 80s until today and used soul/rnb cd's in general). Any help would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

Johan

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest soulfulmouse

PM ME I CAN HELP.

BAZ A.

acadamy record annexx

96 N. 6th Street (bet. Berry & Wythe)-Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY 11211

(L Train to Bedford Ave.)

Phone: 718.218.8200

whirlin disc

230 Main Street - Farmingdale, NY 11735

Phone: (516) 694-1145

Fax: (516) 694-1144

Toll Free: 1-877-2 D O W O P P

E-mail: dowopp@optonline.net

these used to be good stores been a while since i,ve been in new york.give them a phone see if still open.theres a few good shopsin grenwich village as weel.maybe some one else has there names.

Edited by soulfulmouse
Social source share

Hi,

I'm going to NYC for a short vacation later in October. Can anyone help me with recommendations for record shops (I'm mainly after 7"and 12" from the 80s until today and used soul/rnb cd's in general). Any help would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

Johan

Hi Johan ....

Bleecker Bob's @ 118 West 3rd Street , ( between 6th Avenue and MacDougal Street , opposite the legendary Blue Note jazz club in Greenwich Village ) New York City , is well worth a visit if you have the time while in NYC . BB has been around for over 30 years , and as a result of those 30 years of being in business , they know their stuff . Can be pricey but you just have to seek out the bargains . They are wise to the whole northern thing ( as are most U.S. dealers ) . But going by your statement of what sort of you are looking for , I do not think you will be disapointed .

If you get the chance to go down to BB , try to get down there in the evening and combine going into the club across the road ( two doors up from Blue Note ) - " Groove NYC " : this is a brilliant live funk and R & B music venue , with one of the best live bands - Linard - I have ever heard . There is no admission charge ( the band pass the hat round at the end of the evening ) , the beer's good , the staff first rate , and the crowd who get in there are very friendly . Also a good pizza place next door to BB ..... what more could you want !

Good luck !

Malc Burton

Social source share

The Sound Library is great for 70's / 80's LP's and 12's. Just moved to 165 Orchard Street - 212.460.4800. House of Oldies is OK for singles (miserable git - only searches his database by Artisit name but has around 60000 apparently) at 35 Carmine Street.

Enjoy NY and drink in Brooklyn!! Bar called Henry Street Ale House - Henry Street Brooklyn Heigts just over the bridge - always plays rare soul and group harmoney stuff and say hello to Pete.

Craig

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

The Sound Library is great for 70's / 80's LP's and 12's. Just moved to 165 Orchard Street - 212.460.4800.

Is that where you get you roller disco records?

Social source share

Bleeker street records is hit and miss- had no 45s in his rack when I was there then amonth later someone from France gets a sillouettes - Not me baby for 1 dollar.

Shit happens

House of oldies could be good but Shaky bob - wont let you downstairs and wants top dollar for all his record.

P.S they all have Manships guide as well but they think the prices are in dollars so you get them nearly half price

Social source share

Bleeker street records is hit and miss- had no 45s in his rack when I was there then amonth later someone from France gets a sillouettes - Not me baby for 1 dollar.

Shit happens

House of oldies could be good but Shaky bob - wont let you downstairs and wants top dollar for all his record.

P.S they all have Manships guide as well but they think the prices are in dollars so you get them nearly half price

I was in BB's late one evening ( 11 PM ish ) between last Christmas and New Year , going through the motions as you do , when my good lady says to me " look at the boxes up on the shelves above " ; the boxes - three of them - had the legend " 60s SOUL & NORTHERN " written on them ......

All the 45s in the boxes that were attributed to / labelled " Northern " , had a hand written description on the paper sleeve as a deliberate sales pitch to / for the prospective buyer : These are a few that are etched in my memory : " Chicago Style Dancer " " Rousing Backing & Vocals " " Mid To Uptempo Classy Side " " Gene Chandler Style Vocals " " Great Female Vocal " " Could Go Big " ....... oh dear .

We all know that most of the U.S. dealers are wise to / of the potential of the Northern scene , and some will label , in an attempt to offload any old 45 with a beat , to it ; but the descriptive and articulative " labelling " of records by BB's , is obviously the work of someone ( English ? ) who is well versed - and knowledgable about / involved with the scene , and not just by using a certain publication .......

Malc Burton

The CORNER POCKET , Mexborough , South Yorkshire

SATURDAY , OCTOBER 21st : Guest DJ - ROB SMITH

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Is that where you get you roller disco records?

Where I used to get them Stu. Now I've let the cat out of the bag I doubt if you will leave me any.

Looking forward to the next 'Solid Hit Salsoul' mate.

Social source share

Guest GoodRecordsNYC

The top NYC shops as follows:

A-1 East 6th Street btwn 1st Ave & Ave A

Academy (Manhattan) East 10th Street btwn 3rd Ave & 4th Ave

Academy (Brooklyn) North 6th Street off Bedford

Gimme Gimme East 5th Street btwn 1st Ave & 2nd Ave

Good Records NYC :lol: East 3rd Street btwn Ave A & Ave B

The Sound Library Orchard Street btwn Stanton & Rivington

all except the Brooklyn Academy location are within a stones throw of each other.

Cheers -

Jonny

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi,

Cheers

Johan

...Can I just move this thread slightly and urge you, whatever else you do while you're there, to pay a visit to the Iridium Jazz Club on a Monday night, and take in living legend Les Paul's weekly set? Les is coming for 90 now, so you may not ever get a second opportunity. It's the best night out you can have in NYC, by some distance. And you can tell your friends that you saw and heard the man who invented the electric guitar, doubletracked vocals, overdubbing and Lord knows what else! Not only is the music good, but Les is a witty host and his trio members are also first rate.

The Iridium's on Broadway, pretty much opposite the Brill Building and the Ed Sullivan Theatre. The food's usually pretty nice, too, and you can normally book a table once you hit town (and would be wise to do so)...

TONE :lol:

Social source share

' It's the best night out you can have in NYC, by some distance. '

Maxine Brown at the Lennox Lounge, Bettye at Joe's Pub.....? Iridium is a nasty tourist trap - would only recommend if Les Paul was a real must see for you.

Social source share

...Les Paul is a real must see for anybody. Especially Millwall supporters biggrin.gif ...

TONE (HIMSELF A MILLWALL SUPPORTER...) :yes:

We should 'kin SIGN Les Paul at the moment Tone. Nice to see another Soulie Lion on her mate :lol: .

Social source share

Thanks for all the help. I feel that I will have lots of hunting to do. Can anyone recomend a big store for used cd's (soul/rnb)?

Thanks again everybody!

Johan

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!