London Record Shops

Fishdockroad

Hi all,

In London for the weekend and am hoping to do a bit of ' digging' rather than being dragged around the shops by the wife! Mainly going to be in the Oxford street, Piccadilly, Soho, Tower Hill regions at various times during our visit and am hopefully looking to find a few vinyl dealers that stock predominately Soul so if anyone's got any recommendations it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Social source share

All the shops mentioned in Soho are just ok. It depends what you're looking for. Don't expect to find  any "finds" although there's always a slim chance.  SOTU on Broadwick Street is currently my fave in that part of London.  New soul 7" releases on the counter, second hand downstairs but not a large selection. Ten minutes looking through max.  Plus a range of books  LPs cds etc 

Social source share

Don't suppose you'll be able to get down there, but Rat records in Camberwell is worth a try. They put all the new stock out on a Saturday morning when they open at 10.30. It's mostly LPs and maybe one small box of 7s and it often turns into a bit of a bunfight, but you can be lucky. I've moved from the area now and haven't been there in months, but about a year or so ago I picked up an Innersection issue on Group 5 for three quid! Good luck wherever you roam...

Social source share

14 hours ago, Stephen T said:

Sounds of the Universe

7 Broadwick Street,

Soho, London

W1F 0DA

has original soul 45s downstairs as does nearby Reckless Records on Berwick st. Both 2 mins from Oxford St

was there in the week, very poor... that area is not what it was I'm afraid... Id prefer to go to Soul brother records in Putney, or over to Camden Lock.. 

Mal

• Helpful 2
Social source share

20 hours ago, Ian Dewhirst said:

And there's still a Record & Tape Exchange further down Berwick Street.....

Ian D :)

and they are still clueless enough to miss zeros off things.

does the notting hill one still had a large funk and soul 7s section upstairs?

Edited by JNixon
Social source share

8 hours ago, Mal C said:

was there in the week, very poor... that area is not what it was I'm afraid... Id prefer to go to Soul brother records in Putney, or over to Camden Lock.. 

Mal

yes sounds of universe is poor and they are pretty arrogant / rude in my experience. servers think a little too much of themselves.

soul brother on the other hand are proper. used to live in putney its very nice.

if the poster wants to sell it to his missus threres lovely walks by the river

Edited by JNixon
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

"I don't know how much soul is there but Intoxica is open in Cecil Ct. Haven't been there so I'd be curious to know what it's like in there"

Great hand picked selection of records from all genre's in intoxica's new location, defiantly worth a look.

And there's always IF MUSIC in soho, which is tucked away with some great 2nd hand bits: https://www.ifmusic.co.uk/

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!