R&B scene

ulyssees

4 hours ago, ulyssees said:

Could someone give me a potted history of the R&B scene, are new records being discovered? Where did it come from, who would be regarded as the true innovators. Many thanks.

You could start by getting a hold of the book "Central 1179: The Story of Manchester's Twisted Wheel Club" by Keith Rylatt & Phil Scott.

Social source share

Assuming you're talking about the modern RnB scene as opposed to the very earliest days of Northern Soul.

Probably the key events that were specifically 'RnB' were Brian Rae's RnB allnighters 1991-93 (I DJed at most of these, along with Mark Bicknell who was really heavily into it at the time and played a major role in spreading the word through spots at Bradford etc, and I think Roger Banks and Allan Millington did some), there were about 10 of these at various venues in central Manchester contemporaneous to Brian/Tim Ashebende's hugely popular Twisted Wheel revivials (one had over 2000 people stufffed into the venue with all seven rooms of Placemate 7 open) which were heavily RnB centred, being much more musically 'high brow' than the Wheel revivals of today. The stated aim of these was to play dance RnB imports that would have been spun/popular at the Wheel had they been known before RnB fell largley by the wayside at the venue in the late 60s. There was a lot of tape swapping about at the time centred on RnB at the time.

Whilst not big, these events were attended by a lot of people who went on to promote or DJ RnB who tended to be sat around madly scribbling down records. The stuff played was very much what we'd call 'Rhythmn and Soul' rather than that jump blues crap that RnB as a played genre later dissolved into... Things like Jimmy Armstrong's I Won't Believe It Till I See It and LaVern Baker's Wrapped Tied and Tangled and a lot of Kent, Modern, Duke and Peacock stuff - much of which had been played at the Wheel - people wouldn't even consider most of it 'RnB' nowadays - just soul.

Another factor was the London Mod scene and the early Moustrap allnighters at the 100 Club from about 1991 - though these were very poppy by comparison - with a lot of psych stuff like Electric Prunes, John's Children and Davy Jones being played.

Overall though there had been a rapidly increasing amount of RnB appearing at allnighters from the mid-80s - I guess kicked off by the popularity of RnB at Stafford and particularly just post Stafford at the 100 Club. Saus was also a major RnB mover and shaker in the early 90s (as Roger became too of course), turning up a lot of stuff and tracks he sold to other DJs who then got the credit for them.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Many thanks for the replies, I have read the Twisted Wheel book and also attended the Placemate nights, but I am especially interested in the R&B scene of today and the music played in such clubs as the Adlib in Lincoln, King Bee in Sheffield and the Pow Wow Hull.

Yule.

Social source share

39 minutes ago, ulyssees said:

Many thanks for the replies, I have read the Twisted Wheel book and also attended the Placemate nights, but I am especially interested in the R&B scene of today and the music played in such clubs as the Adlib in Lincoln, King Bee in Sheffield and the Pow Wow Hull.

Yule.

For Hull - it's the Mojo .. 

There's also Dekka's Roots Room . Some  can be found on here 

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/340631-harrogate-charity-all-dayer-dekkas-room/

Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

If ya wanna know then go, I would gladly help locate an event for you on any particular weekend of your choosing just send me a pm, what I would say is don't just look at RnB events but also look at the more focussed 'Mod' events. There is a subtle difference and both compliment each other as you have a more varied DJ listing so as not to become same old names same old faces just doing the rounds

• Helpful 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, dekka said:

If ya wanna know then go, I would gladly help locate an event for you on any particular weekend of your choosing just send me a pm, what I would say is don't just look at RnB events but also look at the more focussed 'Mod' events. There is a subtle difference and both compliment each other as you have a more varied DJ listing so as not to become same old names same old faces just doing the rounds

Well said ! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Personally I noticed a fair amount of people from the Rocking scene and Northern scenes in the late 80s/90s crossing with the result that a lot of stuff became known to both crowds. I used to go to Rocking nights as there was a good amount of RnB played (not that I disliked good Rockabilly either) which was always something I had a love for. Mind you I was a bit surprised when I was told that 'Tainted Love' now gets played at Rocking events as a 'stroller'!

Social source share

10 hours ago, DaveNPete said:

Assuming you're talking about the modern RnB scene as opposed to the very earliest days of Northern Soul.

Probably the key events that were specifically 'RnB' were Brian Rae's RnB allnighters 1991-93 (I DJed at most of these, along with Mark Bicknell who was really heavily into it at the time and played a major role in spreading the word through spots at Bradford etc, and I think Roger Banks and Allan Millington did some), there were about 10 of these at various venues in central Manchester contemporaneous to Brian/Tim Ashebende's hugely popular Twisted Wheel revivials (one had over 2000 people stufffed into the venue with all seven rooms of Placemate 7 open) which were heavily RnB centred, being much more musically 'high brow' than the Wheel revivals of today. The stated aim of these was to play dance RnB imports that would have been spun/popular at the Wheel had they been known before RnB fell largley by the wayside at the venue in the late 60s. There was a lot of tape swapping about at the time centred on RnB at the time.

Whilst not big, these events were attended by a lot of people who went on to promote or DJ RnB who tended to be sat around madly scribbling down records. The stuff played was very much what we'd call 'Rhythmn and Soul' rather than that jump blues crap that RnB as a played genre later dissolved into... Things like Jimmy Armstrong's I Won't Believe It Till I See It and LaVern Baker's Wrapped Tied and Tangled and a lot of Kent, Modern, Duke and Peacock stuff - much of which had been played at the Wheel - people wouldn't even consider most of it 'RnB' nowadays - just soul.

Another factor was the London Mod scene and the early Moustrap allnighters at the 100 Club from about 1991 - though these were very poppy by comparison - with a lot of psych stuff like Electric Prunes, John's Children and Davy Jones being played.

Overall though there had been a rapidly increasing amount of RnB appearing at allnighters from the mid-80s - I guess kicked off by the popularity of RnB at Stafford and particularly just post Stafford at the 100 Club. Saus was also a major RnB mover and shaker in the early 90s (as Roger became too of course), turning up a lot of stuff and tracks he sold to other DJs who then got the credit for them.

Dx

Hi Dave,

The Mousetrap all nighters were in Finsbury Park nothing to do with the 100 Club. I did run a Black Cat one at the 100 Club with Bob Morris and I think Mace, that was probably 90s. The Mousetrap does alternate R&B and psych nighters, I don't remember them being mixed.

Are you sure Tim Ashibende promoted with Brian, i can't remember him being a promoter.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!