Mint Promos: Soul City Closing 12/29 7 pm Eastern US

Guest Classic45s

Guest Classic45s
This week, we added four new 45s to our Louise Neal 45 Soul Auctions page, which features eye-popping, previously unplayed promo treasures from the Louise Neal Soul 45 collection.  All of these have bids, so will be closing over the next two to three days.  See the Auctions page for photos.  

If you are interested in bidding, please visit the Louise Neal 45 Soul Auctions page for images and an explanation of the auction process.  

45s with active bidding and associated close dates:

• Soul City, Good Time 802 (promo), 1967.
         "Cold Hearted Blues / Who Do You Think You Are"
         Condition: M 
    (M|M|M) Some Northern Soul fans prefer the uptempo A side ("Cold"), and some prefer the equally uptempo B ("Who"). Me, I think they're both great, and either would be fine additions to your next Soul club gig! This new, unplayed promo copy has no notable flaws, grading Mint across the board (Labels, Vinyl, Audio). It comes in a crisp Cameo/Parkway factory sleeve.
         High Bid: $368 | Auction ends 7PM EST Tue., Dec. 29.      
  • Clovers, Josie 997 (promo), 1968.
         "Try My Lovin' On You / Sweet Side of a Soulful Woman"
    (M|M|M) The "Plug Side" of this late, great Clovers single is an unexpected delight! Produced by Bobby Robinson and Arranged by Robert Banks, "Try My Lovin'" is a terrific Northern Soul dancer that's sure to get 'em out of their seats! This new, unplayed promo copy has no notable flaws, grading Mint in all respects (Labels, Vinyl, Audio). It comes with a vintage Jubilee/Josie shipping package that was part of the Neal collection.
         SOLD: $170 (5 bids) | Auction ends 7PM EST Mon., Dec. 28.
  • Sheppards, Mirwood 5534 (promo), 1967.
         "Stubborn Heart / How Do You Like It"
         Condition: M- 
    (M-(x)|M|M) If you're up for two terrific Northern Soul dancers featuring a great vocal group style, you'll be in heaven with this one! This copy comes with a vintage Mira Records (Mira was the parent label for Mirwood) shipping package that Louise Neal (Napper) received; this is the only Mira mailer in the collection. (By the way, according to Rockin' Records, this is a different Sheppards than the that recorded on Apex in 1959-60. I haven't tried to verify this with other sources.) This new, unplayed promo copy would grade pristine Mint overall, but the B side label has a black "x" on it, so the labels grade Near Mint. After a good cleaning, the vinyl and audio emerge pristine. 
          SOLD: $380 (6bids) | Auction ends 7PM EST Mon., Dec. 28.
  • Joan Baker, Diamond 164 (promo), 1964.
         "Everybody's Talking / Satisfy Me"
    (M-|M|M) This rare single features a find Northern Soul dancer on the "Plug Side" (no relation to the Nilsson hit of a few years later). This new, unplayed promo copy is pristine Mint overall, but note that I've graded the Labels Near Mint to reflect a hint of storage wear; the vinyl and audio are pristine (even though there's faint background noise in the deadwax).
         SOLD: $224 (4 bids) | Auction ends 7PM EST Mon., Dec. 28.

Other 45s available for opening bids:

•  Chino Feaster, Blue Rock 4078 (promo), 1968.  "You're So Much Woman / A Grown Man Cry"   Condition: M- (M-|M-|M) The A side is that rare ballad that's perfect for slow moments in a Northern Soul set... A real winner! On the flip side, the singer lets loose with some Deep Soul chops. This new, unplayed promo copy comes in a crisp Blue Rock Records factory sleeve. Its labels and vinyl exhibit faint signs of storage wear, grading Near Mint. The audio, I'm pleased to say, sounds pristine. 
         Minimum Bid: $85
  • Oliver Joy, Big Deal 134, 1967.
         "Don't You Let Nobody Tell You / You Know That I Love You"
    (M- (x)|M|M) From a small New Orleans label, this rare single offers two soulful ballads — One in a Deep Soul mood and the other leaning towards Northern Soul. This new, unplayed stock copy has been stamped as a promo, with "D.J. Copy" on one side and two stars on the other. Aside from the faintest of storage wear, the vinyl is pristine Mint, and the audio has no notable flaws, grading Mint as well. 
         Minimum Bid: $95
  • Minzi Berry, Score 1006/7 (promo), 1966.
         "Don't You Dare To Cry / Those Teardrops In Your Eyes"
    (M-|M-|M-) "Don't You Dare" is sure to please fans of rare Northern Soul dance tracks... Impressive, distinctive Soul that rarely turns up, especially in this condition. Nice, Motown-style soul ballad on the flip also deserves a spin. This white-label promo (the retail release has the red Score label) may have seen a few plays before Louise Neal left for New York, but the impact is very light. The labels have faint discoloration toward the outer edges, grading Near Mint. Similarly, the vinyl exhibits faints signs of wear/use, grading Near Mint. The audio is pristine for most of each track, but I'm grading it Near Mint to reflect one or two instances where I heard very light surface noise. Oh, and in case you were wondering, this is the original 1966 pressing with matrix numbers stamped into the trail-off wax, not a reissue. ("Dare" side has "T4KM-4039--2" stamped.)
              Minimum Bid: $300 USD
  • Lenis Guess, Peanut Country 1002 (promo), 1966.
    "Thank Goodness Gotta Good Woman/ Too Many Nights"(M-|M|M) Apparently, Lenis Guess had quite a few 45s in the 1960s, most of them highly collectable. Here, you get two dynamite, and very different, sides: A seriously fine dancer on the A side and a more nuanced, almost jazz-infused number on the flip. Hard to say which I like better... but I definitely like both of them well enough to recommend to you and to record eventually for my personal library. This beautiful new, unplayed promo copy has pristine Mint vinyl and audio. The labels grade Near Mint, as the white background is slightly color-faded.
         Minimum Bid: $120
  • Billy Storm, HBR 474 (promo), 1966.
         "Please Don't Mention Her Name / The Warmest Love"
    (M|M-|M) This tune is a new one for me, and I literally mouthed "Wow" when it started playing! I can see why it's such a popular tune in Northern Soul dance clubs. This gorgeous new, unplayed promo copy comes in a Near Mint copy of its original picture sleeve, which is (excuse my enthusiasm) way beyond cool! (The photo is a quickie and doesn't do it justice; however, note that the other, identical, side has some light ringwear.) The 45 itself grades pristine Mint overall, sporting Mint labels and audio. The Vinyl grade is Near Mint to reflect a touch of storage wear.
         Minimum Bid: $140 USD

_______

Louise Neal was a black female disk jockey from North Carolina who had a 3-hour Soul/RnB/Blues show from the late 1950s through the mid-1960s. During that time, she collected thousands of (mostly) promo 45s at her home from the many record companies she was registered with for receiving promotional material--ABC, Atlantic/Atco, Chess/Checker/Cadet, Decca, Brunswick, Shout, Stax/Volt, Fame, Imperial, Jubilee, Okeh, Sue, Philles, SureFine, Vee-Jay, Kent, Duke, Bell, Paula/Ronn, Rojac, Peacock, Motown (all labels), Veep, Capitol, Modern, Dial, Jamie and many others. A large number of these precious 45s accumulated unopened in their original shipping packages after Neal left the business and moved to New York in 1967. (Also during 1963-65, when Neal had earlier left town.) Most are highly collectable and extremely rare Northern Soul singles with book Louise Nealvalues ranging well above $100... a few above $1,000! Many are pristine--unplayed and with a bare minimum of storage wear. Others may exhibit very light storage wear and/or an "x" marked on the label. A good many come in their original factory sleeve, some of which are rare and valuable on their own these days.

The collection also contains rarities and classics of interest to fans of RnB, Blues, Girl Groups, Doo Wop, and various other genres of Rock.

Louise Neal collection: Shipping packages for the promo 45sWe began selling records from the Louise Neal collection in June 2015, and it will take years for us to get through everything. To see what's for sale, what's already sold, and what's coming up, visit the Louise Neal Collection page on Classic 45s (https://www.classic45s.com/). We continue to add more details about the collection as time permits. This page shows all the Louise Neal 45s we've added to date (some have sold).

Edited 1 minute ago by Classic45s

•  
Edited by Classic45s
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 2
  • Views 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted Images