The Magnetics Ra-sel Boot

Ted Massey

Quite right Ted Massey, another one that has been booted, the writing on the sides looks faded (not clear or crisp) on the boots, like it's been stored in the damp. But of course the vinyl is brand shining new. No talc or carpet burn "weathering" on the boot I've seen.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Sorry I know this isn't any of my business but who has been done here?   Nobody has been sold a counterfeit Magnetics as an original.  In fact I don't think these have even circulated but for about 3 or 4 copies.  That's all.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

On 12/31/2015 at 13:10, Steve G said:

So its been bootlegged (we know that) and only about 3 or 4 thus far have gone out is that what you are saying Pete? 

The definitions of what constitutes a bootleg are a bit blurred, yes it is probably a very clever counterfeit, but no copies are for sale anywhere, the copy above was given away, therefore nobody is being ripped off.

If they were carvers nobody would blink, from what I can deduce they are a vanity project with a miniscule amount of copies made - I've got one and I'm highly delighted with it - it's the Rolls Royce of pressings.  I paid sod all for it and don't consider myself to have been ripped off.  It won't be on a public record deck so it's not hurting anyone.

You investigative chaps need to focus your attentions abroad and into the murky depths of the past.  Seek and you may find answers.  Look to the East perhaps?

p.s.  at no time have I attempted to sell it as an original!  Or even felt the need to tell anyone I've got it.  

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

There are quite a few of these "vanity projects" going on with small quantity pressings, with people with copies all "sworn to secrecy" as to the source. The soul freemasonry brotherhood of vinyl copyists? Perhaps if the source of these so called "vanity projects" was good enough to list ALL of the titles they have done / commissioned, then at least no one would be taken in, and we wouldn't have these threads. That would solve it and no one would care. People pop up on here, or on FB rare soul talk asking what they are worth. Had a chap with a General Assembly boot on there the other day going "whats this worth?" and people salivating saying $700 etc. when it is clearly a brand new boot (there is NO grey area here, nor are they like carvers). Had someone else ask me about Magnetics and John Wesley. I suspect at least one copy of Gen Assembly has leaked into the collectors market via re-sales.  

Social source share

56 minutes ago, Steve G said:

There are quite a few of these "vanity projects" going on with small quantity pressings, with people with copies all "sworn to secrecy" as to the source. The soul freemasonry brotherhood of vinyl copyists? Perhaps if the source of these so called "vanity projects" was good enough to list ALL of the titles they have done / commissioned, then at least no one would be taken in, and we wouldn't have these threads. That would solve it and no one would care. People pop up on here, or on FB rare soul talk asking what they are worth. Had a chap with a General Assembly boot on there the other day going "whats this worth?" and people salivating saying $700 etc. when it is clearly a brand new boot (there is NO grey area here, nor are they like carvers). Had someone else ask me about Magnetics and John Wesley. I suspect at least one copy of Gen Assembly has leaked into the collectors market via re-sales.  

Steve first of all, I am not in any freemasonry brotherhood, do you think they would have ME?  I can't keep my mouth shut about anything.  If I knew the details I'd post them up.  I only know about this one because I was lucky enough to be given one, and as I say, I thought yes thats nice, thats mine, I'll keep it.  Never mentioned it to anyone.  Now I can tell you for certain there is no counterfeit of General Assembly.  You are thinking of the wrong record.  I know which one you are thinking of so I'll wait for you to remember.

John Wesley - no idea.  I have only seen this one record, The Magnetics.  I have one copy, my own.  I think I have an idea where they came from but I can't go out and say it in case I am wrong and I'll get in trouble but they are 100% "imports". 

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

the magnetics scan shown is a boot ,thank you ted for the heads up info ,i often buy duplicate 45,s and especially rare items .and pay strong money. i,m a collector first and i,m really grateful to be made aware counterfiet copies HAVE BEEN DONE.regardless of what some people say it doesn,t matter.....i think some would if they made a purchase in all honesty and it wasn,t the real deal at a later date. thx t best g

Edited by stanley
Social source share

Well at least we'll have an archive of any markings there are on the boots ... :)

And if Mr Massey or Mr Rimmer were to offer up runout pictures off originals then there would be a perfect reference that can be used by prospective buyers in future , and be included in any future publications by Mr Manship for example ... :thumbsup:

Social source share

2 hours ago, pomonkey said:

General Assembly gets plenty of plays on several scenes and saw an issue sold here for uk350 in July so hardly a forgotten oldie, let alone 30 years. Would still be a bizarre choice to boot but maybe that wasn't the one based on later comments. 

Not saying it's a bad record, it isn't, it's great, but I've not heard it played for many a year.  The issue is beautiful, I sold one about 5 years back but it was £125

Social source share

As far as the Magnetics is concerned the boot is easy to tell once you' ve seen an original. Text print is blurred on every line, label appears to be darker than the original, thing just looks cheap and badly photo copied. Still I am sure one or two poor newcomers with money to burn will get burned soon if and when one comes on the market. I know its been said its kinda "vanity project" but sure records do change hands sooner or later..

Edited by Marc Forrest
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

23 minutes ago, Marc Forrest said:

As far as the Magnetics is concerned the boot is easy to tell once you' ve seen an original. Text print is blurred on every line, label appears to be darker than the original, thing just looks cheap and badly photo copied. Still I am sure one or two poor newcomers with money to burn will get burned soon if and when one comes on the market. I know its been said its kinda "vanity project" but sure records do change hands sooner or later..

You mean like these newcomers who are KNOWINGLY paying £100 for a Jimmy Mack with stuck on photocopy labels?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!