mike

John Bradbury - The Specials RIP

The Specials drummer RIP

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/dec/29/john-bradbury-of-the-specials-dies-ages-62

'John “Brad” Bradbury, the drummer with 2 Tone group the Specials, has died aged 62. The band announced the news of his death on 29 December via Twitter.

A statement released by the Coventry band’s spokesperson praised the musician’s influence on the 2 Tone scene. “Brad’s drumming was the powerhouse behind the Specials, and it was seen as a key part to the 2 Tone sound.”'

---------------------------

The below 2008 article covers his group the 'JB Allstars' whom as some may remember released a series of northern cover version around about 1984

'JB's Allstars was a band founded by Specials drummer Bradbury as a side-project to indulge his love of UK northern soul. '

http://marcoonthebass.blogspot.co.uk/2008/08/jbs-all-stars-specials-drummer-john.html

It doesn't say anywhere what actually happened to him. I guess he was ill?

Met him once in 1980(ish) when me and a few mates snuck into a marquee the Specials were practising their session in. Roadies tried to kick us out but Dammers let us in and we had a good chat with the band. Brad was a gentleman and was really into his Soul music.

Rip Brad

RIP Brad. Way too young and too seemingly fit to be gone.

I've always loved the Specials live. I saw them lots in their early days and on each tour since they got back together, Brad was a big soul fan and that was all over his attack drumming. I never saw the JB's Allstars but wished I had.

As someone who plays drums a bit, this has come as terrible news. I watched the reunion gig a few months back and saw just how good Brad was behind a kit. A superb craftsman in every way. 

RIP friend 

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.