Playing prev unreleased out (Arctic)

Dean

Happy to receive the Artic box set from Santa ( I've been a very good boy). Excellent CD catalogue with 6 previously unreleased tracks. 

2 questions: 

ok to play out? IMO really good discs with a few sides worthy of dance floor time. Barbara Mason "He's got to love me" ( nice female floater); The Tiffanys "Lover boy" ( mid tempo stepper); Combo Kings "I'm at my best when I'm down" (real stomper); Kenny Gamble " It takes Two" (mid tempo shuffler) ; The Ambassadors "Doctor Love" ( mid-up tempo beat ballad). 

Secondly, presuming these legit under licence , would any repro be pursued more vigorously under copyright ? 

Happy 2016. Dean

image.jpg

Edited by Dean
Spelling
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Dean said:

Happy to receive the Artic box set from Santa ( I've been a very good boy). Excellent CD catalogue with 6 previously unreleased tracks. 

2 questions: 

ok to play out? IMO really good discs with a few sides worthy of dance floor time. Barbara Mason "He's got to love me" ( nice female floater); The Tiffanys "Lover boy" ( mid tempo stepper); Combo Kings "I'm at my best when I'm down" (real stomper); Kenny Gamble " It takes Two" (mid tempo shuffler) ; The Ambassadors "Doctor Love" ( mid-up tempo best ballad). 

Secondly, presuming these legit under licence , would any repro be pursued more vigorously under copyright ? 

Happy 2016. Dean

image.jpg

Barbara Mason "He's got to love me" is 'take' of her released 'Ain't Got Nobody' - I've read that it may not be even a different take - I've  not compared them myself so can't confirm one way or the other.

Its a nice set - seen some negative criticism  - of the packaging mainly, but you can't please everyone.   Would love to see one  for Ric Tic or a few other labels presented like this.

As for playing them out - well if you enjoy them and you think the crowd you play to will - well play them!

Social source share

Dean,

If legit and the first time on vinyl then play them out, dropped into one of your sets they would fit in a treat. I would love to hear a couple of the legitimately issued M-Pac Onederful things played out.

As we used to say way back when if it's good enough ti play then play it.

Cheers 

Mark.

Social source share

19 hours ago, Mike Lofthouse said:

Barbara Mason "He's got to love me" is 'take' of her released 'Ain't Got Nobody' - I've read that it may not be even a different take - I've  not compared them myself so can't confirm one way or the other.

Its a nice set - seen some negative criticism  - of the packaging mainly, but you can't please everyone.   Would love to see one  for Ric Tic or a few other labels presented like this.

As for playing them out - well if you enjoy them and you think the crowd you play to will - well play them!

Just checked it, the Barbara Mason is the same. I'd convinced myself they weren't but the 45 is just a lower tone. Played the 45 and CD on same system simultaneously flicking between. Thanks for info Mike. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't have to ask Pete, I just believe in some integrity and am curious of people's opinions of where the blurred line is within others understanding. For better or worse I'm committed to some sense of authenticity when playing to others. Like the Kent Select series I would feel comfortable putting on a record that was a current issue of a historic recording not previously available. 

Happy new year to you and yours, good start to the year for Wolves! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!