SOULSOURCE RECORD CLUB 2016, YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT?

dthedrug

1 hour ago, hullsoul said:

Staying with the down & dirty,another one that's gone up quite a bit in price?

Willie And The Handjives - Gotta Find A New Love Veep

TOTALLY fantastic tune that just explodes out of the speakers.Old 100 club tune i have an issue here.Good call Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Kev John said:

Right i'll post 1 that is going indemand  & Nige B is looking for one but mine not for sale & yes Martyn its only an issue 

Spencer - Searching For Love - Midtown 

Enjoy !!!

Kev :hatsoff2:

Wow another of my Faves great Northern Kev.Yep it is in demand these days and im lucky to have a Demo that i bought way back when still a cheapie,and mines staying put as well

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Kev John said:

Right i'll post 1 that is going indemand  & Nige B is looking for one but mine not for sale & yes Martyn its only an issue 

Spencer - Searching For Love - Midtown 

Enjoy !!!

Kev :hatsoff2:

Kev

One that I've always thought would have it's day if a tad fast for these old legs :D

One that slipped through the net over the years & looks like I might have missed the boat?

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hearing the fabulous "My Love Is So Strong" reminded me of this truly outstanding deep (bordering on blues) 45 by the same chap.

Geater Davis “I'm gonna change” (Luna) the local label release from 1972 before Seventy Seven picked it up a year later.

Now that's hardcore.

With a voice that can cut wood.

Geater Davis: His career began in Texas but he was always on the move looking for a better chance, keeping his career alive and the ‘big break’ so many artists look for. Just weeks after moving to Dallas he suffered a heart attack and shortly afterwards died, aged just 38, on the day he was supposed to record a new session.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Derek Pearson said:

Hearing the fabulous "My Love Is So Strong" reminded me of this truly outstanding deep (bordering on blues) 45 by the same chap.

Geater Davis “I'm gonna change” (Luna) the local label release from 1972 before Seventy Seven picked it up a year later.

Now that's hardcore.

With a voice that can cut wood.

Geater Davis: His career began in Texas but he was always on the move looking for a better chance, keeping his career alive and the ‘big break’ so many artists look for. Just weeks after moving to Dallas he suffered a heart attack and shortly afterwards died, aged just 38, on the day he was supposed to record a new session.

Derek

Not a deep soul fan but this is the bollocks.On this he sound a bit like Bobby Bland?

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

On 10/1/2016 at 11:27, hullsoul said:

Old Cleethorpes fave today,until I just found the You Tube clip I always thought this was LP only(that's what I've got it on)?

Tymes-Someway,Somehow I'm Keepin' You RCA LP

UK release on a 7" as well

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just now, Derek Pearson said:

Carl Sims opened his singing career with his blistering debut 45 straight outta Memphis, Tennessee in May 1974 and it's still in my all time top ten after all these years. Dx

Barbara Brown originally did the song “Pity The Fool”  in July 1972 on MGM Sounds Of Memphis.

It's good but not nearly as good as Carl Sims.

Dx

Social source share

Like 'em both Derek fantastic song writing from Dan  Greer  but Carl Sims version edges it for me...it's the way he 'spits' it out ...almost in anger ...great looking label...also came out on Beale Street  records later which is just as hard to find in my opinion..great label design too...!...

Dave  L

7 minutes ago, Derek Pearson said:

Barbara Brown originally did the song “Pity The Fool”  in July 1972 on MGM Sounds Of Memphis.

It's good but not nearly as good as Carl Sims.

Dx

Social source share

Lee Harvey released this decent mid tempo semi known in 1964. The song was written by M Alexander who owned the label.

Dx

A few months later Frank Foster & The L.A. Untouchables released their version of the song also on Kris - if you can listen to longer than a minute of this song you're a better man than I.........phew that man can't sing.

Social source share

15 hours ago, Derek Pearson said:

Lee Harvey released this decent mid tempo semi known in 1964. The song was written by M Alexander who owned the label.

Dx

A few months later Frank Foster & The L.A. Untouchables released their version of the song also on Kris - if you can listen to longer than a minute of this song you're a better man than I.........phew that man can't sing.

DP

He might not be able to sing but it brought a smile to my face him trying to :D

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

5 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Been spinning this one a lot again recently, top class - Leon Thomas - L-O-V-E (Flying Dutchman)

Chris

Great Mecca oldie,love it.

Got a copy on UK Philips,does anyone know if it's a boot or ligit UK release?

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 06/10/2016 at 14:41, hullsoul said:

He might not be able to sing but it brought a smile to my face him trying to 

Pretty sure good old Frank must've paid for that session/release out of his own pocket eh?!........

Seem to think I already had the Lee Harvey 45 then picked up the Frank Foster 45 dirt cheap in a sales box or via an American list circa mid/late 1980's.

Was pretty excited until I played it.

On 06/10/2016 at 14:44, hullsoul said:

Got a copy on UK Philips,does anyone know if it's a boot or legit UK release?

Recall hearing this played somewhere (late 70's at WC or where ever?) then a few weeks later - much to my great surprise - picking up a blue plastic UK 7" copy in VG+ nick somewhere up Manningham Lane near the football ground in Bradford on one of my regular dinnertime junk shop trawls.

Flogged it for a fiver at WC a week later.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I originally picked up this 45 for the dancer by the Marvelettes on the other side and hardly gave poor old Kim any air time at all.

Fast forward several years (maybe a decade even) later - imagine my great surprise and delight when I re-discovered this 45 (unfortunately miss-filed in a box of miscellaneous UK bits n bobs) and played this side.

Wow bloody wow.

Never heard it played out anywhere.

Dx

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Another from me, being one who plays their cards close to their chest, how many have got this? Another that cost me a quid, yes I have a good source for my soul packs, I buy in bulk at a quid apiece that way I get stuff I haven't heard before, yes it's from Archie bell and the drells but, seriously do YOU know it?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

17 hours ago, Kev John said:

Another new release on its way £9 including postage Juno records 

Soul Scratch - "Pacified" / Look How Far We've Come - Colemine

Their debut single

Enjoy !!!! :wink:

Atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Kev

Could imagine the young un's liking this & the odd old un like us :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 10/10/2016 at 07:54, Kev John said:

Got the cd on in the car Philly Underground (Norman Jay)

Got the Album the song away's blows me away 

Teddy Pendergrass - Set Me Free - PIR

Great stuff Kev

Went to see Norman Jay in Nottingham the other week but misjudged the time he was on and had to spend four hours drinking double Vodka Red Bulls. Needless to say I had lost control of my legs somewhat by the time Norman appeared :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Doesn't appear to have been posted here before and with me being totally immersed in this group and having this one on Red Bird here is...

The Shangri Las!

From the biography: Out In The Streets: The Story of The Shangri-Las by John J. Grecco,

"Right Now And Not Later"

''Motown's hit making writer/producer team of Bateman and Moseley brought the Detroit sound, blended it with the urban beat of the Brill Building resulting in a knock out beat driven classic. When finished, the track would give Martha & The Vandellas a run for their money, forget The Supremes as Diana Ross definitely didn't have the pipes to handle the vocals for this one''...

Edited by BabyBoyAndMyLass
ETA some bio info
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Just been catching up and some great stuff being posted guys.Appologies if i have put this one up before if i did it was a long time ago.This one i never played out but its a total stormer by the Tyn Tymes.It is of course a version of the Howard Tate Verve classic but The T Ts is the one for me a real bollock grabber.Had my pic sleeve copy for a few years now dont see many for sale so i think its a rare item

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!