SOULSOURCE RECORD CLUB 2016, YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT?

dthedrug

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Mick Sway said:

I haven't posted anything for quite a while either, holidays, family sickness, family business and Brexit

being the main cause, ohh and a bollocking off the Mrs if I bought any more records.

Every now and then I come across a tune that appears to be both cheap, well known to most except me

and to top it all, a brilliant piece.

So after spotting this on the unmentionable auction site and given it a spin on Youtube, the postman

managed to sneak a lovely British Green and White demo on this on to the doormat, without causing

the dog to bark and a domestic to ensue, all for just over a tenner.

Apologies if it's a recent spin on here, but Chris Bartley has never sounded better than on this fabulous

Van Mcoy and Joe Cobb production, I definitely found a goodie:

New to me as well Mick.

Nice.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

There's been a bit of a buzz on Joe Tex I Wanna Be Free for quite a while now, why does this not get much attention,

Old Time Lover

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjYmqq9283OAhWBLcAKHe0cDnwQ3ywIHjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dgy1su9g3Wag&usg=AFQjCNGbi2jvWDx6fIMElo6H8HkDD-FzoQ&bvm=bv.129759880,d.d24

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Kegsy

"Old Time Love" is a great tune & you have a point but for me it's nowhere near as good a dancer as "I Wanna Be Free"??

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Hi Guys

Some good stuff being posted of late i shall have to get with it myself and put a few on.

Regarding the Joe Tex love Kegseys offering of the underplayed OLD TIME LOVE,But must agree with Martyn that I WANNA TO BE FREE is the powerhouse to light up a million homes

But recently i have been drawn to JTs brill dancer BABY BE GOOD which also deserves far more spins.

https://youtu.be/adsselW3s34

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 minute ago, Patto said:

Hi Guys

Some good stuff being posted of late i shall have to get with it myself and put a few on.

Regarding the Joe Tex love Kegseys offering of the underplayed OLD TIME LOVE,But must agree with Martyn that I WANNA TO BE FREE is the powerhouse to light up a million homes

But recently i have been drawn to JTs brill dancer BABY BE GOOD which also deserves far more spins.

https://youtu.be/adsselW3s34

Patto

Wow how has this passed me by,cracker :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, gogger said:

another one from joe tex / you better believe it baby , dail records , great vid to , every other tune seems to have baby in the title on that label

Gogger

This always reminds me of Wigan,I'm sure back them it was reputed to be LP only..........I might have dreamt that bit :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, hullsoul said:

Gogger

This always reminds me of Wigan,I'm sure back them it was reputed to be LP only..........I might have dreamt that bit :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

like his dail stuff , saw baby be good on a playlist a few years back , and got a copy, great tune

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, hullsoul said:

Patto

Wow how has this passed me by,cracker :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Great stuff mate result if i can introduce a new tune to someone with your vast knowlege of records.Ive Had the record for around 5 years and always thought it would sound fantastic played out but i never spun it myself.Its a cheapie and should be easy to find.Joe Tex U.S Original.JPG

• Helpful 1
Social source share

52 minutes ago, Patto said:

Great stuff mate result if i can introduce a new tune to someone with your vast knowlege of records.Ive Had the record for around 5 years and always thought it would sound fantastic played out but i never spun it myself.Its a cheapie and should be easy to find.Joe Tex U.S Original.JPG

Patto

Just had a quick trawl about & there's a few cheapies kicking about so will probably part with a few pennies for one.............came across one for $8.49 but had postage at $59.50,what's that all about????

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, hullsoul said:

Patto

Just had a quick trawl about & there's a few cheapies kicking about so will probably part with a few pennies for one.............came across one for $8.49 but had postage at $59.50,what's that all about????

Cheers

Martyn

It's down to the insurance.....any pigeons that land in Hull never make it back home :g:

Social source share

18 minutes ago, hullsoul said:

Patto talking of the Vontastics,they made one of the great double-siders imo.Can never decide which is the best side as they are both that good..............

Vontastics - Never Let Your Love Grow Cold/You Can Work It Out St.Lawrence

Yep got that one As well Martyn and played it out a couple of times.But your dead right about the flip YOU CAN WORK IT OUT a great uptempo romper.Nice call

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I wonder if anyone remembers this being played at the Torch ?

Mick,no as The Torch was open way,way past my bed time when it was been played :ohmy:

Great Tune.

My fave by Juggy is this,never had the plays it deserves imo......unless it was played when I was in bed :D

Juggy-Soul At Sunrise Sue

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Nice reflection on past days there Martyn, anything past 8.30 PM is too late for me nowadays.

Recently seen for sale as a new discovery for £150 , it is surprisingly soulful and thankfully mine was much less.

Reminiscent of Bobby Womack's Columbia releases to these ears.

From 1973 Bonnie Bramlett Good Vibrations Columbia US

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 15:59, hullsoul said:

Smudger

Bought mine off a market stall in Hull around 75/76 for 10p :D

What a tune!!!

Cheers

Martyn

B&S SOUL PACKS were excellent value & always had CHESS/CHECKER 45s, still have some of mine. when you think many records played back then were at tops on y 5 yeres old many in the packs were only 18 months old, AMAZING.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, hullsoul said:

One that often gets overlooked (B side of "Candy")

Great tune Martyn 'I found out', bit of a cult sound around the North West early 90's along with Twilight Zone - seem to remember Guy playing 'Found Out' at Tony's in Blackburn around that time, and I picked up a nice UK copy in Goldmine just afterwards.

Also like 'More Power to You' which I remember Mickey Cruise raving about as the best Astors tune:-

• Helpful 2
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Great tune Martyn 'I found out', bit of a cult sound around the North West early 90's along with Twilight Zone - seem to remember Guy playing 'Found Out' at Tony's in Blackburn around that time, and I picked up a nice UK copy in Goldmine just afterwards.

Also like 'More Power to You' which I remember Mickey Cruise raving about as the best Astors tune:-

Chris

Hey up young un.

Got a nice UK red Atlantic copy of "Candy/I Found Out" myself,think I might have relieved my older brother of it :wink:

Joe Lakin played "I Found Out" at Brid,sounded great & quite a few didn't know it?

Always loved "Twilight Zone",one of there best I imo?

Also got a copy of "More Power To You",I often use that as an example of funky northern always been played,great tune. 

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guys i also have a  Copy of TWILIGHT ZONE , brill sound but i have to confess to not knowing I FOUND OUT.So summat else ive learnt thanks Martyn.

Gonna put forward a nice bit of uptempo NORTHERN.This one took me ages to land.Its JAY LYLE---HOW GOOD CAN IT GET----ANGEL CITY

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 22/08/2016 at 15:12, Mick Sway said:

Nice reflection on past days there Martyn, anything past 8.30 PM is too late for me nowadays.

Recently seen for sale as a new discovery for £150 , it is surprisingly soulful and thankfully mine was much less.

Come on chaps, give it a listen.....Thanks

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 22/08/2016 at 15:12, Mick Sway said:

Mick

Too nice for me,just sounds like that middle of the road American group stuff from the 70t's............sorry.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Patto said:

Guys i also have a  Copy of TWILIGHT ZONE , brill sound but i have to confess to not knowing I FOUND OUT.So summat else ive learnt thanks Martyn.

Gonna put forward a nice bit of uptempo NORTHERN.This one took me ages to land.Its JAY LYLE---HOW GOOD CAN IT GET----ANGEL CITY

Patto

The favour has been returned,new to me & sounds a bit good on first plays.......has a slight gospel feel to it?

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

5 hours ago, hullsoul said:

Mick

Too nice for me,just sounds like that middle of the road American group stuff from the 70t's............sorry.

Cheers

Martyn

That's what I thought too originally and granted it's not a club tune, however probably the recent price tag has

made me listen to it with more enthusiastic ears than normal and let it plant it's seed.

There again I now have a soft spot for Neil Young, the Eagles and Janis Joplin, which I wouldn't

have given the time of day as a lad.

Changing the subject

I've just been playing the excellent recent Kent CD; "Mainstream Modern Soul" , when this came on as I was walloping a wall

and  had to check out what was playing, having forgotten how good it is.

Being a staple of every sales box I doubt if fetches more than a fiver, the record I'm talking about is

The Dramatics No Rebate On Love, such a great tune, sounding really fresh this morning.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

19 hours ago, Patto said:

Like it, new to me.

Social source share

6 hours ago, Mick Sway said:

That's what I thought too originally and granted it's not a club tune, however probably the recent price tag has

made me listen to it with more enthusiastic ears than normal and let it plant it's seed.

There again I now have a soft spot for Neil Young, the Eagles and Janis Joplin, which I wouldn't

have given the time of day as a lad.

Changing the subject

I've just been playing the excellent recent Kent CD; "Mainstream Modern Soul" , when this came on as I was walloping a wall

and  had to check out what was playing, having forgotten how good it is.

Being a staple of every sales box I doubt if fetches more than a fiver, the record I'm talking about is

The Dramatics No Rebate On Love, such a great tune, sounding really fresh this morning.

Mick

Dramatics is a cracker,mine was a lot cheaper then a fiver...........I got it given.........now that makes it a top sound to a Yorkshireman :D

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!