SOULSOURCE RECORD CLUB 2016, YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT?

dthedrug

12 hours ago, Mick Sway said:

I very rarely post anything I havn't got myself but as this is on the want's list and I would guess

not that well known, I thought it worth a post.

Laura Lee "Are You Doing Me Wrong "
This was un-issued from a 1983 Japanese Chess best of LP :
top tune mick :thumbsup:

Social source share

1 minute ago, Mick Sway said:

Talking of Bobby, his version of this being the first record we danced together to at The Golden Torch, I recently came

across this calypso version from 1963, UK only I think (perhaps as well).

I've posted for the novelty value.

Jimmy Lloyd "Call on Me"

Mick

And very novel it was too..........I'd take it back to the car boot you got it from & ask for your 10p back :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi All Having been up all night with pain in my legs & feet? After going out last Saturday night to the STABLES,  had a good night, looking through Dave W sales box &which I recommend you all do, as he always has a fine selection, & it is easy t spend £500 a visit.) I picked out some classic oldies, I'm fully aware some of you Soul Brothers have moved on from the classic Northern sound, nut I know you still like to be reminded of the collecting scenes roots are in up-tempo soul.

Now I was looking to play James Cole - Rest & Dress - Spectra  A good record to play if you DJ, but alas I can't find a down load for you, so if anyone can help me by posting it.

So I have chosen Percy Wiggins _ that's loving you - A-BET 9434, instead to get you in the mood to face Tuesday, so have a nice day, KTF Dave K

Download below is Percy Wiggins!!

https://youtu.be/BQ59lHXthbI

james cole rest & dress.jpg

Edited by dthedrug
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Talkin about classic oldies, here's a tune that is greatly neglected on account of the fact that most folks go

for 't other side. Sounding very "Parliament" - ary , written and produced by William McKinley Hutchison for the

group he was instrumental in forming as The Versatiles, until label boss, Johnny Rivers, changed their name to

5th. Dimension - I’ll Be Lovin’ You Forever

UK Liberty: LBF 15356 :

• Helpful 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Mick Sway said:

Talkin about classic oldies, here's a tune that is greatly neglected on account of the fact that most folks go

for 't other side. Sounding very "Parliament" - ary , written and produced by William McKinley Hutchison for the

group he was instrumental in forming as The Versatiles, until label boss, Johnny Rivers, changed their name to

5th. Dimension - I’ll Be Lovin’ You Forever

UK Liberty: LBF 15356 :

Got on me playlist last year @ Cock O' Budworth Mick :thumbsup:

atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, hullsoul said:

Been after one of these for ages & just bagged one.Probably the "coolest" record I've ever bought(LP only).

Som Três - Homenagem A Mongo

Very nice Martyn . Hopefully it will get a play when your guesting in Dekka's Roots Room (please) ? 

Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

Here's one I picked up after browsing one of Tim Brown's Rare Soul Reviews.

One of the cheaper items in the mag that was subject to scrutiny and an Homer Banks composition too boot.

Funnily enough I read the day after originally posting that it's got a recent CD release on :The Other Side Of The Trax - Stax Volt 45 rpm Rarities 1964-1968 - reviewed eleswhere on Soul-source.

Sounds very much like Otis should have given it a go too:Johnnie Taylor - "Strange Things (happening to my heart)"

Edited by Mick Sway
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

June Conquest

Seems like she only recorded within a 7 year period from 1965 to 1972 and in that time only had 6 singles released. Here’s 2 of my favourites. Even today with a bit o’ digging about I’m sure you can probably still find copy’s of both for a tenner each?

They don’t have to be rare or expensive to be brilliant.

Derek but who exactly was The Demon?

One of the first records in that new wave of northern circa 1984 that hit big as Stafford opened its doors and ushered in a bright new generation.

“Almost Persuaded” (Fame) ©1965

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orn4_KJcdhY

“All I Need” (Windy City) ©1967

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujKZBax1CY8

Edited by Derek Pearson
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

18 hours ago, Peter99 said:

"Just bought one of these - won't appeal to everyone, but I love it. The raw, innocent vocals got me swooning. :wub:"

Sweet & Innocent

Very nice , new to me

Just got round to picking one of these up, nearly 20 years after it was put out as a previously un-released track on a Goldmine "Groovesville Masters" CD then on 45 by them, two good sides by the way with Johnny Taylor Love on a Lease Plan, on the flip.

J J Barnes' version being one of my favourite cross-over tracks of all time, unbelievably LV kills his version and goes even deeper:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!