Show us your great photos (2016)

Amsterdam Russ

Just now, Peter99 said:

Short but sweet Steve!

:hatsoff2:

Thanks Peter. New fangled technology. Apparently I can extract still photographs from videos if something looks good or something special happens whilst I'm recording. Got so much more to get to grips with on this camera. Massive step up from previous model. 

Are you any closer to buying one yet mate ? 

Steve

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks Peter. New fangled technology. Apparently I can extract still photographs from videos if something looks good or something special happens whilst I'm recording. Got so much more to get to grips with on this camera. Massive step up from previous model. 

Are you any closer to buying one yet mate ? 

Steve

I'm afraid not Steve - I'm useless! :(

I'll get there and in the meantime I can enjoy the wonderful contributions from yourself and all our other friends who post up their fantastic - often moving photographs. It was odd that we were both in Porthmadog last week - one of my rare forays out into the world. It would have been great to meet up. When I went to see the Ospreys at Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife I got chatting to one of the vounteers - I mentioned it on my post the other night. Anyway, I thought I would mention the Peregrines we have in a Nottingham and he was quite scathing - sort of "mm common as muck"! It was quite funny. 

Sending you my best wishes Steve.

Peter

• Helpful 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

This picture shows a dolphin watching boat not disappointing the clients on board as one surfaces just metres in front of it. Taken from Newquay harbour and heavily cropped

Steve

IB2A5526 (2).JPG

Life on a ocean wave. Well in Cardigan bay

Steve

IB2A5535 (2).JPG

Great place! Not been there in years. Used to love having a pint in the pub on the front looking out! 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Always a few of these in a morning when i`m out dogging. :DThis was a rather large one.

20160630_102902[1].jpg

Edited by Guest
Social source share

2 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

More Molyvos adventures...

The classic shot of octopus drying in the sun - and a completely unexpected moment when a butterfly chose to partake of our ouzo. Luckily it wasn't able to unscrew the lid and help itself.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

I'm going to put this on my top list of places to go Russell. It looks like real, unspoiled, traditional Greece. 

Thanks for the pictures.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 3 July 2016 at 00:40, Peter99 said:

I'm going to put this on my top list of places to go Russell. It looks like real, unspoiled, traditional Greece. 

Thanks for the pictures.

Peter

It is exactly that - unspoiled and traditional Greece. Back in the decades when Spain was building high-rise hotels with mass tourism in mind, the island of Lesvos made a conscious decision not to go down that route and change the nature of the place forever. In fact, buildings here are only allowed to be two storeys high (with one or two rare exceptions, in which case they have three floors). That's ensured the traditional feel of the place. As a result of its unspoiled nature the island was designated a World Heritage Site.

It's a very simple place, and all the better for it...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, crazylegs said:

Took Clyde for a walk to 'Es Grau' in Albufera national park today, managed to snap this cactus before falling of the wall!, think I'm still a teenager,  climbing over walls indeed!!!

x

20160704_123420.jpg

20160704_132227.jpg

It's actually a Bromeliad, not a cactus, but still nice to see in flower.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 02/07/2016 at 23:40, Peter99 said:

Thanks for the pictures.

Peter

It was 28 years ago Pete and looks like it still is. Reason being it`s the nearest Greek island to Turkey and  although it`s been a long time since the last invasion by the Turks they still will not let the island become too tempting. 

They even had 2 sets of prices when your were eating out, one for the tourists and a cheaper one for the locals :lol:

Which makes it a wonderful place to visit if you want the old Greece. 

Edited by Guest
Social source share

1 minute ago, Steve Lane said:

It was 28 years ago Pete and looks like it still is. Reason being it`s the nearest Greek island to Turkey and  although it`s been a long time since the last invasion by the Turks they still will not let the island become too tempting. 

Which makes it a wonderful place to visit if you want the old Greece. 

Thanks Steve

:thumbsup:

Social source share

32 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Caught this Heron out of the corner of my eye at the last second as it touched down

Steve

IB2A5690 (2).JPG

Bit easier to see once it was settled

Steve

IB2A5691 (2).JPG

Wow alert Steve! :rolleyes:

Such a great bird to see. Quite a few down the canal where I live - let you walk right past them, almost touching them,  without being alarmed and flying off.

Peter

• Helpful 2
Social source share

33 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Quite a few down the canal where I live - let you walk right past them, almost touching them,  without being alarmed and flying off.

Peter

I can point my lens at one a mile away and the bloody thing will fly off :D 

Good to see Smiffy's images improving :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

5 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Wow alert Steve! :rolleyes:

Such a great bird to see. Quite a few down the canal where I live - let you walk right past them, almost touching them,  without being alarmed and flying off.

Peter

Good evening my friend. Hope your well :hatsoff2: When your looking one way and a bird flies and then lands in the opposite direction is quite difficult to get a picture, luckily for me my new camera can fire off ten frames per second so I had a go, not that would have had a chance with my old five frames per second camera.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, martyn pitt said:

I can point my lens at one a mile away and the bloody thing will fly off :D 

Good to see Smiffy's images improving :thumbsup: 

I,m the same as you Martyn . ( only taller, younger and better looking ) :PThey must think its a gun that we point at them not a lens

Steve

Social source share

It`s not too bad Steve......mostly it`s just the feeding regime, I can always get someone to pop in and feed  them, the lights are wifi-enabled so they come up and go down like the sun, fully automated.

Social source share

16 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Great stuff Martyn

Was the male asleep in the box? Is that how the ringer managed to handle him?

Peter

Peter

The female flew off as soon as he put his ladder up by the owl box, the male was still in the box. He put the bird in a cotton bag, it keeps them calm, he leaves the feet out as it makes it easier to handle. He measured the wing length, and weighed the bird ... 377grams this one, a breeding female would be around 450g.

15 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Great Pictures Martyn.

Have you moved to the countryside from deepest darkest wolves mate , just with you saying various farms dotted around the area.

Steve

No mate still at the same house, I was just being deliberately vague as to where it was located.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I was down in the beautiful Shropshire village of Bishops Castle today laying some flowers at my still missed Dads grave because it was his birthday on Thursday when he would have been 82 . When I heard a noise in the large Yew tree near the grave and this is what I was lucky enough to see. A Tawny Owl. as you can see from the 1st picture the camouflage is amazing

Steve

IB2A5787 (3).JPG

IB2A5787 (2).JPG

Well spotted and well photographed Steve. 

A majestic little fellow - watching over your dads grave. 

I am sending you my best wishes from Nottingham.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Well spotted and well photographed Steve. 

A majestic little fellow - watching over your dads grave. 

I am sending you my best wishes from Nottingham.

Peter

:hatsoff2:Good evening my friend from for a change sunny Manchester. Thanks for the best wishes. Hope your well :thumbup:. Even though the village is about 120 miles from home and about a 2 hr 15 min drive I love going down there, its such a special place. A typical quaint English village

Steve

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

:hatsoff2:Good evening my friend from for a change sunny Manchester. Thanks for the best wishes. Hope your well :thumbup:. Even though the village is about 120 miles from home and about a 2 hr 15 min drive I love going down there, its such a special place. A typical quaint English village

Steve

All ok here thanks Steve.

I still miss my mum a great deal - probably 12 years since she passed away now. Funny, I can never get the year spot on in my mind. Always remember the day though - Boxing Day. :(

I never really bother about driving distances - as long as your steed is reliable and good to go! My ten year old Megane 1.9 diesel is nice to drive and has been really reliable - bought it really cheap. It's the best car I've ever had - never been one for spending lots of money on cars. I suppose my silver, red upholstered, Ford Capri Ghia in the 80's was a close second!  :elvis:

Just have to be vigilant for idiot drivers who have no regard for anyone's safety - including their own. 

Well, we have a mini heat wave forecast - at least till Thursday!

• Helpful 2
Social source share