Show us your great photos (2016)

Amsterdam Russ

1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

No mate. Very close. It was the Eric Morecambe hide at Leighton Moss.

Steve

Have you ever seen any otters at Leighton Moss, the wife is obsessed about seeing them, I'm very doubtful whether they are actually there.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Kegsy said:

They are also at Blacktoft Sands near Goole as well, I've seen them there with a bittern in the background through some guys telescope, didn't have the camera with me that day and the lenses I have probably wouldn't have been long enough anyway, it would have been a hell of a picture. 

By the way the wife and I have a toddle around Leighton Moss quite regularly.

Thanks to or the information about the bearded tits. Bet you where chuffed about seeing both species together with or without a camera. I know I would have been.

Steve

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Have you ever seen any otters at Leighton Moss, the wife is obsessed about seeing them, I'm very doubtful whether they are actually there.

Yeah. Will post a  few a few pictures later. Had the pleasure of seeing 5 altogether. 3 on the ice when it was frozen and 2 another time. They are very active at the moment with daily sightings from either the causeway hide or the lower hide. Have also seen them down in Pembrokeshire at bosherton Lillie ponds. 3 times. How lucky am I.

Steve

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks to or the information about the bearded tits. Bet you where chuffed about seeing both species together with or without a camera. I know I would have been.

Steve

Yep, it was quite a moment. I think (they let) the water levels drop more at Blacktoft Sands which brings the bitterns to the edges of the reeds to hunt and therefore makes them more visible.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Yeah. Will post a  few a few pictures later. Had the pleasure of seeing 5 altogether. 3 on the ice when it was frozen and 2 another time. They are very active at the moment with daily sightings from either the causeway hide or the lower hide. Have also seen them down in Pembrokeshire at bosherton Lillie ponds. 3 times. How lucky am I.

Steve

Ok thanks for the info, I suppose we will just have to persevere.

Social source share

11 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Kegsy. Look in show us your great photos part 2 . 30th January. 2015. I posted some pictures of the otters on the frozen lake at Leighton Moss. So that you can show your misses that they do exist. 

Steve

Thanks mate, she;s well giddy now.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest themroc
On 08/02/2016 at 14:26, TattooDave said:

Used to hear them a lot on the fens, easier than spotting them, camouflage is amazing in the natural world

Once Bittern..... I Denke shoen?

Social source share

On 14/10/2016 at 08:25, Kegsy said:

Thanks mate, she;s well giddy now.

Our lass is well into otters ,took her to the Isle of Mull on the ferry from Oban,we stayed in Tobermory and drove around to the coast at the bottom of Ben More just stopped to have our lunch and admire the scenery.Low and behold an otter was about 20 yards away from us in the sea,it was diving around and came up with a massive crab which it tussled with for about half an hour but got fed up and only got a leg off it.

It went to sleep on the kelp on rocks just in front of us after catching several small fish,we got to about 6 yards from it, we watched it for about 2 hours.Some fab pure white beaches on the west side too. On the way home we saw three otters in the harbour area whilst waiting for the ferry. It is a fabulous place well worth a visit,first time in scotland and was overawed by the scenery,drove about an hour along Loch Lomond on the way to Oban. Never forget it as long as i live.

Edited by smudger
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, smudger said:

Hi

Our lass is well into otters ,took her to the Isle of Mull on the ferry from Oban,we stayed in Tobermory and drove around to the coast at the bottom of Ben More just stopped to have our lunch and admire the scenery.Low and behold an otter was about 20 yards away from us in the sea,it was diving around and came up with a massive crab which it tussled with for about half an hour but got fed up and only got a leg off it.

It went to sleep on the kelp on rocks just in front of us after catching several small fish,we got to about 6 yards from it, we watched it for about 2 hours.Some fab pure white beaches on the west side too. On the way home we saw three otters in the harbour area whilst waiting for the ferry. It is a fabulous place well worth a visit,first time in scotland and was overawed by the scenery,drove about an hour along Loch Lomond on the way to Oban. Never forget it as long as i live.

We were up that way a couple of years ago, didn't get to Mull though. Spent hours in areas where otters had been seen, not a bleeding sausage !.

Social source share

17 hours ago, shinehead said:

Hardly a great photo by the standards on here but this was took in my back garden with my phone , a young Goldfinch enjoying sunflower seeds.

WP_20160918_13_32_20_Pro.jpg

Unusual to see just one, there's usually a flock of them, I've seen 50+ together on field edges here in Spain

Social source share

1 hour ago, TattooDave said:

Unusual to see just one, there's usually a flock of them, I've seen 50+ together on field edges here in Spain

They come to come my garden in droves up to 20 at a time , I have had to stop feeding nijer seeds because even though they are beautiful birds their eating manners leave much to be desired, more on the floor than eaten .

Social source share

15 minutes ago, shinehead said:

They come to come my garden in droves up to 20 at a time , I have had to stop feeding nijer seeds because even though they are beautiful birds their eating manners leave much to be desired, more on the floor than eaten .

It grows into a nice annual though if left, and then gives you free seed

Social source share

20 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

It grows into a nice annual though if left, and then gives you free seed

I like to feed the birds but encouraging rodents to a free meal on the floor I will give the nijer a miss , feeding sunflower seeds and they seem ok on that.

Nijer is a plant native of Afghanistan I believe Dave, is that correct ? 

Just looked it up a native of Ethiopia.

Edited by shinehead
Social source share

54 minutes ago, shinehead said:

I like to feed the birds but encouraging rodents to a free meal on the floor I will give the nijer a miss , feeding sunflower seeds and they seem ok on that.

Nijer is a plant native of Afghanistan I believe Dave, is that correct ? 

Just looked it up a native of Ethiopia.

Grows as an annual in the UK, though stunted because of the heat treatment that it goes through before import.  If you get rodents having a free meal best get yourself a Jack Russell, I would have suggested cat, but that wouldn't be good with tiny birds at a bird table

Edited by TattooDave
Social source share

27 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

Grows as an annual in the UK, though stunted because of the heat treatment that it goes through before import.  If you get rodents having a free meal best get yourself a Jack Russell, I would have suggested cat, but that wouldn't be good with tiny birds at a bird table

Thanks for the advice buts it costing me a small fortune in bird seed so I could not afford a pet as well .

I will stick to cleaning up around the feed stations daily , it seems to be working :thumbsup:

Social source share

13 hours ago, hornet said:

Feckin badger had turned my lawn into A 200 hole putting green ! Darnt even take my dog out 4 A pee at night as the fecker is as big as A baby hippo , will try get A mugshot of him ( or her )

IMG_0306.JPG

Nice visitor to have. I'd be happy with him or her turning my lawn over for an occasional glimpse.

Social source share

16 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Hiya mate

They're superb.

:hatsoff2:

Pete

Morning my friend. Hope your keeping well. Thank you for the kind words again. :thumbup: I have noticed a improvement in my photography over the few years that I have owned a decent camera. I aspire to reach the consistency, level of Martyn then I will be a happier photographer. just enjoying the journey and the surprises tha nature throws my way when I,m out and about. The only problem I have is that my fishing is suffering unfortunately, I don't seem to have the time for both at the moment . Nice dilemma to have though.

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share