Show us your great photos (2016)

Amsterdam Russ

3 hours ago, tsu tomatoes said:

I often look through this part of the forum, but for the first time I thought I'd put some pics up too: Here's a few from a recent trip to Marrakesh

Marrakesh 2016 048.JPG

Marrakesh 2016 192.JPG

Marrakesh 2016 199.JPG

Nice atmospheric pictures.  The more posters in this section the better. Thanks for sharing

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

About time to Russell. Thought you had given up :P. Nice pictures of I assume raindrops hitting the canal

Steve

Really has been ages since I've been out with my camera, Steve. Don't know why either. Just haven't felt the inspiration, I guess. Have to say you're exactly spot on. It is indeed raindrops hitting the small waterway running next to our apartment. The light source is a streetlight on the other side. I'd seen the effect of rain hitting that patch of water before when standing on our back balcony and have become quite fascinated by it. Finally thought I'd have a go at capturing the effect - and about time too! :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Wow! Nice one Chris. I didnt think grass snakes were that big or that they could swim!

Pete

:thumbsup:

Peter i was 100 yards from land:thumbup: they are known as the water snake also,was prob about 2ft 6 long so a female i presume.Fantastic swimmers and good at playing dead when you handle them.

Edited by NCFC
Social source share

1 minute ago, NCFC said:

Peter i was 100 yards from land:thumbup: they are known as the water snake also,was prob about 2ft 6 long so a female i presume.Fantastic swimmer and good at playing dead when you handle them.

I went on a boating holiday on the Broads years ago and I'm pretty certain that I remember seeing a few signs saying "Beware Water Snakes". I know enough to know that the only poisonous snake we have in Britain is the Adder/Viper. So, I guess the sign must have meant for us to be aware of and not harm them - rather than the other way round? 

Social source share

1 hour ago, stateside said:

Very surreal. Are those reindeer skulls?

Not reindeer, but cow skulls - except for the one in the middle of the table, which looks like it came from a water buffalo. Thing is, just to add to the surreal effect, they're actually man-made. So somewhere there's a factory making these for sale to everyday consumers. I find that weird!

Social source share

On 08/11/2016 at 21:26, Russell Gilbert said:

Took a visit to our local garden centre as they always put on a huge festive display. It's all very well done, although in places it can have something of a surreal quality about it. Judge for yourself... 

IMG_1501-web.jpgIMG_1507-web.jpgIMG_1522-web.jpgIMG_1528-web.jpgIMG_1531-web.jpgIMG_1535-web.jpgIMG_1538-web.jpgIMG_1545-web.jpgIMG_1547-web.jpgIMG_1550-web.jpgIMG_1554-web.jpgIMG_1563-web.jpgIMG_1569-web.jpgIMG_1577-web.jpgIMG_1580-web.jpg

More of a Nightmare Before Christmas than a Winter Wonderland.

Social source share

43 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:
On 8November, 2016 at 22:26, Russell Gilbert said:

More of a Nightmare Before Christmas than a Winter Wonderland.

Haha - something along those lines. Certainly that's what my pics portray. I didn't post up all the others I took of the cosier traditional aspects. They do a great job putting this together every year, and it is a huge display. At the end of the Christmas day though, its a retail garden centre (80,000 m2 - the largest in the Netherlands) and the only purpose is to pull in customers and get them to buy stuff, which they seem to do well.

Social source share

1 hour ago, TattooDave said:

Went out yesterday into the mountains, bloody cold and not that warm, but found Crocus serotinus Subsp. salzmannii flowering where it wasn't already battered to death by the wind.

Crocus serotinus subsp salzmannii.pngCrocus serotinus subsp salzmannii. pale form.png

Bloody cold Dave. Bet you wouldn't swap it for the UK and you will still have been wearing shorts. We had a barmy 5 degrees Celsius here in Manchester yesterday

Steve

Social source share

12 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Bloody cold Dave. Bet you wouldn't swap it for the UK and you will still have been wearing shorts. We had a barmy 5 degrees Celsius here in Manchester yesterday

Steve

It was only 8C at the top of El Torcal, 24C by the coast, so quite a shock to the system, I'm in shorts until I see brass monkeys. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Never been to Bolton Abbey. But it is on my list.

Don't know if you like walking but there is a circular walk that starts as you enter the Abbey grounds ,it's about seven kilometres and follows the river on one side going out ,over  the bridge to the other side coming back, some great photo opportunities, like a prat I forgot my camera on the day and had to make do with the one on my phone.

Social source share