Show us your great photos (2016)

Amsterdam Russ

6 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

First real cold snap of the winter. Making sure that my feeders are topped up.

Peter

Good Evening Peter. Me to mate. Filled them all today. And just as important gave them fresh drinking water. 

As you can see from the picture of the Swan the lake was mostly frozen over and its a large body of water which takes some freezing so winter is finally here and too stay for a while hopefully to get nature back in synchronization

Steve

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Good Evening Peter. Me to mate. Filled them all today. And just as important gave them fresh drinking water. 

As you can see from the picture of the Swan the lake was mostly frozen over and its a large body of water which takes some freezing so winter is finally here and too stay for a while hopefully to get nature back in synchronization

Steve

Hi Steve

Yep, it was your great photograph of the frozen lake which prompted my post. Nice pictures again Steve.

Best to you and Lou from Nottingham.

Peter

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

1 minute ago, Peter99 said:

Hi Steve

Yep, it was your great photograph of the frozen lake which prompted my post. Nice pictures again Steve.

Best to you and Lou from Nottingham.

Peter

:hatsoff2:

Thank you kind sir. :hatsoff2: it was bloody cold on the fingers, the wind was blowing a gale. Which unfortunately is not visible in the pictures.

Steve

Social source share

12 minutes ago, Philippe said:

A friend of mine sent me a nice diaporama with nature photographers.

Martyn, is it you ? ;o)

1453280750-zzzzqa.jpg

Great pic. I'd be keen to know where the second photographer is positioned. Are both in the water and on either side of the apparently oblivious kingfisher, or is the second person taking the pic with a telephoto lens from some distance off (and, one presumes, also camouflaged)?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Great pic. I'd be keen to know where the second photographer is positioned. Are both in the water and on either side of the apparently oblivious kingfisher, or is the second person taking the pic with a telephoto lens from some distance off (and, one presumes, also camouflaged)?

The other camera is close and wide angled, you can tell by the large depth of field where everything is in focus, it could easily have been on a remote and operated by the guy in the shot.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, martyn pitt said:

The other camera is close and wide angled, you can tell by the large depth of field where everything is in focus, it could easily have been on a remote and operated by the guy in the shot.

Ah, yes. Very logical and meaning that the photographer was perhaps looking for an impressive selfie... 

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Paid my first visit of the year to Leighton Moss RSPB reserve on Morecambe bay today . Had the pleasure of two maybe three Barn owls . The first one was when I was having a coffee and putting on my walking boots before I had chance to get my camera out of the bag flew past me about twenty metres away. The other one was from approximately half a mile as you can see from the two photographs. One is heavily cropped just so you can see it a bit better, even though its not in focus

Steve

Lovely late afternoon light!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just now, Russell Gilbert said:

Lovely late afternoon light!

Good evening Russell.:hatsoff2:. Hope your well. The light as you say as lovely but the sun was very low and just disappearing behind Silverdale head , it was turned 4pm when the owls showed up. had to push the ISO up to 8000 just to get a bit of light onto the camera sensor.

steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Good evening Russell.:hatsoff2:. Hope your well. The light as you say as lovely but the sun was very low and just disappearing behind Silverdale head , it was turned 4pm when the owls showed up. had to push the ISO up to 8000 just to get a bit of light onto the camera sensor.

steve

All good here, thanks, apart from bit of a cold. :thumbsup: Nice that you had the opportunity to get out and about. Not done the same for what seems like ages. Sounds like you need to get there a bit earlier - or pass up on the coffee… :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

30 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

All good here, thanks, apart from bit of a cold. :thumbsup: Nice that you had the opportunity to get out and about. Not done the same for what seems like ages. Sounds like you need to get there a bit earlier - or pass up on the coffee… :D

Glad all good mate. The weather up until last week in the Northwest of the UK has been nothing but rain since early December. This is my first day off since the weather has turned cold, frosty and sunny. So having heard about the Barn Owl sightings I couldn't resist the opportunity even though it meant a 130 mile round trip. It was worth it.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Glad all good mate. The weather up until last week in the Northwest of the UK has been nothing but rain since early December. This is my first day off since the weather has turned cold, frosty and sunny. So having heard about the Barn Owl sightings I couldn't resist the opportunity even though it meant a 130 mile round trip. It was worth it.

Steve

I'll bet it was worth it - and a round trip of 130 miles definitely falls into the category of dedicated. I usually travel a round trip of about 10-15 miles to go to the Amsterdam woods - but that's on my pushbike, which is absolutely no fun at this time of the year! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The river Dee at Chester used to have regular visits off seals , They would turn up after a high tide which enabled them to get above the weir in the City centre, then they could stay sometimes for weeks gorging themselves on the massive shoals of Dace that had moved downstream into the City for the winter, but they sometimes ventured much further upstream to Eccleston ferry.

Steve 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just a comment from me with no pictures yet. Yesterday evening i could hear a very loud screeching noise out the back. it was at least two Parakeets squabbling. I,m determined to get some photographs of them, still find it hard to believe that they're here and breeding in the North West of England.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share