Show us your great photos (2016)

Amsterdam Russ

1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

Only ever seen two bittern in my life. One that I posted a picture of on here last year and the other one was that I had seen flying. As Martyn said a  scarce bird.

Steve

Used to hear them a lot on the fens, easier than spotting them, camouflage is amazing in the natural world

• Helpful 3
Social source share

3 hours ago, TattooDave said:

Used to hear them a lot on the fens, easier than spotting them, camouflage is amazing in the natural world

We had one at Belvide a couple of years ago, one chap could not find it and asked where it was, I gave him general directions to it's location but he could not find it, so I put it in his scopes field of view ... he still couldn't see it :huh:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

42 minutes ago, martyn pitt said:

We had one at Belvide a couple of years ago, one chap could not find it and asked where it was, I gave him general directions to it's location but he could not find it, so I put it in his scopes field of view ... he still couldn't see it :huh:

They featured on a recent spring watch series - might have been 2014. Incredible birds.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, martyn pitt said:

It is a Bittern Peter ... and pretty difficult to find when they stand still amongst the reeds, quite a scarce bird to get over our way

Quite lucky here in Norfolk not common but we do see them fairley often.This shot was taken by a pike angler in Norfolk.Their is a bittern in shot.:)

image.jpeg

Edited by NCFC
Social source share

9 minutes ago, soulandy said:

Just got back from a few days being a tourist in Reykavic, Iceland and did a snowmobiling trip. Brilliant even though it was a long day and took 5 hours to get to the hut on the glacier via two monster vehicles :thumbsup: The coach had 48" wheels and that's the wife stood next to it to give an impression of how big they are or how small she is :wicked:

The sun going down just as the last of the riders are coming back on the last photo

DSC00675.JPG

DSC00679.JPG

DSC00729.JPG

and I complain when I have to put socks on

• Helpful 3
Social source share

16 hours ago, Rbman said:

Maybe not a great photo.....but a photo of a great soul DJ from the 80s. I met Dave Withers in a dive bar on 9th between 44th and 45th Manhattan. The record packet contained a Mello Souls and a Don Gardner Cheatin Kind....

image.jpeg

I think it's a fantastic photograph.

Peter

1 hour ago, Rbman said:

Guess the bridge......

image.jpeg

Is that recent? You don't look any older than you did on the 80's photograph!

Social source share

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 11:01, Russell Gilbert said:

Thought this might interest some of you.

As we head into spring and the breeding season for birds, the Dutch equivalent of the RSPB has set up a number of web cams at nest sites, including  those of barn owls (kerkuil), tawny owls (bosuil), montagu's harriers (grauwe kiekendief), kingfisher (ijsvogel), peregrines (slechtvalk), storks (ooievaar) and a whole lot more.

English language story here:

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2016/02/big-brother-is-watching-dutch-birds/

Actual web cams (some of which were not actually live when I looked earlier & noted by the word "onderweg") here:

http://www.beleefdelente.nl

Russell. Just been watching the Storks getting battered by the high winds you seem to be having over there at the moment.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Some of my old Rag Tops.......

Vauxhall VX220. Built to promote the re-launch of the VX marque by Vauxhall who contracted Lotus to built it (based around the S2 Elise).

Usual fantastic Lotus design & handling - usual Crap Lotus Build quality.

R6VXX003.jpg

Next was the TOTAL opposite. Audi TTR 225 Roadster. Fantastic build quality - Soulless Handling (a Golf in a party frock)

Also, for some reason people kept asking me for a short back and sides?....

PIC_0179.jpg

And EASILY the best of the lot. Honda S2000. The S2K was well built with great handling and one of the finest internal combustion engines EVER made. 

detail014.jpg

Edited by Zed1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Widnes63 said:

Ive got a year older poor mans Zetec  S  :thumbup: , a young neighbour of mine has an RS and he said he loves it when he pulls up next to an ST driver and sees the look on their faces, priceless....:D.... I would love to have a blast in the RS !!!!

What is an ST driver?

:huh:

Social source share

48 minutes ago, Zed1 said:

Some of my old Rag Tops.......

Vauxhall VX220. Built to promote the re-launch of the VX marque by Vauxhall who contracted Lotus to built it (based around the S2 Elise).

Usual fantastic Lotus design & handling - usual Crap Lotus Build quality.

R6VXX003.jpg

Next was the TOTAL opposite. Audi TTR 225 Roadster. Fantastic build quality - Soulless Handling (a Golf in a party frock)

Also, for some reason people kept asking me for a short back and sides?....

PIC_0179.jpg

And EASILY the best of the lot. Honda S2000. The S2K was well built with great handling and one of the finest internal combustion engines EVER made. 

detail014.jpg

Much respect, some very nice metal there. Always fancied the VX myself. I must admit that I never understood the attraction of rag tops, until I recently bought a Mazda MX5 that had been modified for sprints/hill climbs. I still didn't "get" it for a while, but finally after a few months with the top down, I now understand why they are so popular. The handling is superb, but they are so lacking in power. No wonder there owners are obsessed with forced induction.

Social source share