Show us your great photos (2016)

Amsterdam Russ

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

Ay up Dave

Proper upset me that has. I hope he'll be ok.

Peter

He's on medication Peter, but typical dog he hates having to take tablets, soft food and no treats at the moment, but is soldiering on.  He has to go to the veterinary hospital on Wednesday for a check up and then has the staples out next Monday, hopefully.  It's been a traumatic weekend. Not to mention the cost, but he's worth it.

Social source share

1 minute ago, TattooDave said:

He's on medication Peter, but typical dog he hates having to take tablets, soft food and no treats at the moment, but is soldiering on.  He has to go to the veterinary hospital on Wednesday for a check up and then has the staples out next Monday, hopefully.  It's been a traumatic weekend. Not to mention the cost, but he's worth it.

Sounds like he's on the mend. And I'm certain that he is indeed worth it.

Nice one Dave.

Peter

• Helpful 2
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Peter. Its a Goldcrest with attitude mate

Steve

Known as a herring spink in Norfolk.BTW blackbirds are singing big time at moment!!My fave sound other than soul music.

Edited by NCFC
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Not a picture but I have been putting food out for my hedgehogs recently but have yet to see one - fingers crossed. The food is going but that could be cats or Magpies etc.

Peter

Peter. Good evening my friend :hatsoff2:I think that hedgehogs are still or should be still hibernating, They do wake up occasionally during their hibernation period and tend to go back to sleep. They normally wake up properly in April, the males first.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Peter. Good evening my friend :hatsoff2:I think that hedgehogs are still or should be still hibernating, They do wake up occasionally during their hibernation period and tend to go back to sleep. They normally wake up properly in April, the males first.

Steve

Good Evening Sir :hatsoff2:

Thanks Steve. I guess I was platying safe and working on the assumption that it has been fairly mild. Having said that they were still active into late November/December so they are probably still tired and fast asleep! :D

Peter

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Widnes63 said:

Nice photos Ste, I can see this being built from where I work, the yellow structures on top of the main columns are creeping shutters, once the concrete inside has set the shutter creeps up to be filled with fresh concrete and repeat.

Here is a closer view of Fiddlers Ferry power station, for those of you that are scared of heights take a look at the ladder on the rear right cooling tower, the vans at the bottom give you scale :thumbsup:

56f59c190bd60_FiddlersFerrycoolers.thumb

Ste. Have you got any pictures from on top of the cooling towers mate ? Because I just know that you will have climbed that ladder

Ste

• Helpful 1
Social source share

50 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Ste. Have you got any pictures from on top of the cooling towers mate ? Because I just know that you will have climbed that ladder

Ste

Sorry Ste don't have any from the top and I don't work there now,  also referring back to your 2nd photo, the red part on the right side of the new bridge is also a shutter ( a type of mould for the concrete ) it drops and moves along to be raised in to place for another pour, all worked by pneumatics, great engineering.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Just been reading one of the northwest birding forum's and they have received confirmed sightings of Swallows at Pennington Flash today. So that's good news for me. WOW 27th March. Never seen Swallows in March. Sand Martin and House Martin's yes.

Steve

I told you they were on the way Steve, the Hoopoes are calling here frequently and the Thekla's and Crested Larks are in abundance.  Hope to have some orchid photos later this week, once the dog gets the cone of shame off and his staples out.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Philippe said:

Steve, are you in England ? Seeing your picture made me feeling cold !

Yes mate...........Lancashire!............I took that around 08.30 just as the snow stopped unfortunately, the size of the flakes were like tennis balls. by lunchtime it had more or less all gone. :rofl:

Social source share

5 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

Yes mate...........Lancashire!............I took that around 08.30 just as the snow stopped unfortunately, the size of the flakes were like tennis balls. by lunchtime it had more or less all gone. :rofl:

Wow, here (western south of France) we had more than 20 ° C this afternoon ! And the cockoo arrived two weeks ago.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Thanks Martyn. I've only ever had one possible sighting of a Osprey. I say possible because it was flying directly into the Sun so I couldn't see properly. So I'm still waiting to see one. Hopefully this year. There seems to be a few more every year. Nearest nest site to me is in the lake district from where the birds are quite often seen fishing at Leighton Moss.

Steve

Social source share

We watched the fishermen unload one morning. One of them was trying to get this out of the net. No idea what it was, he wrestled with it for about ten minutes but it was properly tangled up and he threw it down in disgust and stomped off. It was about 18 inches in length and thoroughly weird looking!

IMG_1246.JPG

• Helpful 3
Social source share

20 minutes ago, Soulfinger said:

We watched the fishermen unload one morning. One of them was trying to get this out of the net. No idea what it was, he wrestled with it for about ten minutes but it was properly tangled up and he threw it down in disgust and stomped off. It was about 18 inches in length and thoroughly weird looking!

Sea cucumber? Wouldn't want one in my Pimms! :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Sea cucumber? Wouldn't want one in my Pimms! :lol:

I think you are right. Google shows lots of varieties of sea cucumbers some of whch are a bit similar to this one.

It wasn't dead. I really wouldn't want it in your Pimms or in my Peking Duck pancake.:thumbsup:

Social source share

13 minutes ago, Soulfinger said:

I think you are right. Google shows lots of varieties of sea cucumbers some of whch are a bit similar to this one.

It wasn't dead. I really wouldn't want it in your Pimms or in my Peking Duck pancake.:thumbsup:

Had to check to see if they were edible or not. Seems they are, although seeing one being prepared hardly adds to the potential delight of having one on your dinner plate! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Had to check to see if they were edible or not. Seems they are, although seeing one being prepared hardly adds to the potential delight of having one on your dinner plate! 

That's really not helped it seem any more attractive or edible! It needs to be filed under bait!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, suzannek said:

Sorry I haven't uploaded recently. I hope your dog is better TattooDave that must have been an awful shock.  

Thanks Suze, he's fine, you can barely see where they opened him up, he's back to his normal self now, belligerent, disobedient and wilful.

• Helpful 2
Social source share