Amy Winehouse - Rehab Promo

Pete S

• Replies 67
  • Views 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

After reading the thread on the other Forum I was suprised it was getting slagged of as much. This is better than some of the stuff I have heard in Northern rooms recently and if it wasnt well known it would be played out and raved about as well.

Excellant .

Social source share

Yeh,got to agree with all the positive comments,i was driving through Methil(like Bagdhad --only rougher!!) when i heard Stuart Maconie play on Radio 2 this morning(Tues) sounds very Etta James/ Sugar Pie ish----best thing i,ve heard (new release wise) in years!!

Love and stuff to all

Tony.C.

Social source share

After reading the thread on the other Forum I was suprised it was getting slagged of as much. This is better than some of the stuff I have heard in Northern rooms recently and if it wasnt well known it would be played out and raved about as well.

Excellant .

I think you'll find that the moaning was due to the fact that todays pop singers seem to get discussed when there are many releases from proper soul singers that never get discussed :thumbsup: Still think it's pop personally....just my opinion.

BTW...It's the record of the week on BBC radio 2 and getting hammered.

Social source share

I think you'll find that the moaning was due to the fact that todays pop singers seem to get discussed when there are many releases from proper soul singers that never get discussed :thumbsup: Still think it's pop personally....just my opinion.

I agree it is pop and I wasnt having a pop wicked.gif Chalky just that I was expecting a medicore track the way it was described and was pleasently suprised.I wont be buying the CD though.Though I do stand by what I said about it being better than some stuff that gets played in Northern venues.

Adam

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Honestly...heard this on the radio and thought it was Etta James. What a voice. I know Jo did a topic on her last week but I hadn't heard the track til today so here it is.

">

Social source share

Missed this thread earlier - thanks to Shane for pointing me towards it. What a great record!

=============

Heard this for the first time today, very impressive. Good voice and very soulful, was she on the Jonathon Ross show (TV) a while back?

The sort of record that might cross the great divide, a few more like this and you might get some young people investigating the scene :thumbsup:

Winnie:-)

Social source share

=============

Heard this for the first time today, very impressive. Good voice and very soulful, was she on the Jonathon Ross show (TV) a while back?

The sort of record that might cross the great divide, a few more like this and you might get some young people investigating the scene :thumbsup:

Just played the clip (cheers Pete) and I'm liking it! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I think you'll find that the moaning was due to the fact that todays pop singers seem to get discussed when there are many releases from proper soul singers that never get discussed :wicked: Still think it's pop personally....just my opinion.

LOL Chalky - the reason why the releases from 'proper' soul singers don't get discussed on here is because nobody starts a thread... :lol: Perhaps a few more people might take up the baton, eh :P Glad to see so many positive remarks on this thread about this track instead of the 'size' remarks on the other one that I started....like Winnie said - it might encourage a bit of young blood over to the scene... :wicked: I'll see if I can find out any details about the producer/ arranger. Jo

Social source share

=============

The sort of record that might cross the great divide, a few more like this and you might get some young people investigating the scene :wicked:

Was going to say I wasn't sure how hearing this on mainstream radio etc would lead anyone to the soul scene.. but actually, if you search for this song on Google, this topic comes up amongst the first two or three results so who knows.... :wicked:

Social source share

Was going to say I wasn't sure how hearing this on mainstream radio etc would lead anyone to the soul scene.. but actually, if you search for this song on Google, this topic comes up amongst the first two or three results so who knows.... :lol:

Im slightly miffed at that one two Rach :wicked: Ok the song has a new take on a motown esq backing track, but surley we are not going to start playing this in the clubs :P im not saying the record is rubbish, i like the new angle on the backing, slightly miss leading though the people paying the instuments in the video when they are just on a constant loop :wicked: but her singing IMO brings the record down, not saying she is a pants singer, but it just dont work for me, as far as a pop song goes its good, but for a soul record it dont cut the mustard :lol: and as the Dragons would say! "for that reason im OUT" :lol:

Social source share

Im slightly miffed at that one two Rach :wicked: Ok the song has a new take on a motown esq backing track, but surley we are not going to start playing this in the clubs :lol: im not saying the record is rubbish, i like the new angle on the backing, slightly miss leading though the people paying the instuments in the video when they are just on a constant loop :wicked: but her singing IMO brings the record down, not saying she is a pants singer, but it just dont work for me, as far as a pop song goes its good, but for a soul record it dont cut the mustard :P and as the Dragons would say! "for that reason im OUT" :lol:

I pretty much agree with this, it's not a bad pop record but it's got zilch to do with NS.

Why are people so desperate to get young people into NS at any cost, i didn't have to listen to a pop record to get into it, if people want to get into NS they will, if they don't they won't. Even bringing this sort of record up in an NS conversation is badly blurring the lines & anyway NS was made in the 6ts & early 7ts, it's a retro music, this is a new pop/soul record, all IMHO of course.

Simon

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

It's just plain great..she's just plain great. Is there a little sample in there? Do we know who produced it ?

The drum rolls (well, most of 'em) are from 'Nimrod' by the Skatalites. And Amy could still use a Happy Meal or 20 (Now don't start that again, Rouncey....) :wicked::wicked:

Social source share

Im slightly miffed at that one two Rach :wicked: Ok the song has a new take on a motown esq backing track, but surley we are not going to start playing this in the clubs :wicked: im not saying the record is rubbish, i like the new angle on the backing, slightly miss leading though the people paying the instuments in the video when they are just on a constant loop :P but her singing IMO brings the record down, not saying she is a pants singer, but it just dont work for me, as far as a pop song goes its good, but for a soul record it dont cut the mustard :lol: and as the Dragons would say! "for that reason im OUT" :lol:

==============

For younger people to get into the scene, they have to have something to identify with. A starting point, you and Rach seem to think they just need to hear something totally northern and they should be hooked, and if they're not bugger them. Records like this lead to investigation....... where can I hear that particular sound.......what is that particular sound, and then may lead to ....... I like that particular sound. If they attend a NS event to discover more, then they have the opportunity of hearing similar (but with more quality) sounds, and may just stay. Both of you are young, both of you (I think) would like some newblood, but IMO both of you are a bit blinkered. If you want some youngblood you have to be prepared to adapt surely??

Can't see how you think she hasn't got a soulful voice Baz, you need to wash your ears out........oh and have an open mind :lol:

Social source share

==============

For younger people to get into the scene, they have to have something to identify with. A starting point, you and Rach seem to think they just need to hear something totally northern and they should be hooked, and if they're not bugger them. Records like this lead to investigation....... where can I hear that particular sound.......what is that particular sound, and then may lead to ....... I like that particular sound. If they attend a NS event to discover more, then they have the opportunity of hearing similar (but with more quality) sounds, and may just stay. Both of you are young, both of you (I think) would like some newblood, but IMO both of you are a bit blinkered. If you want some youngblood you have to be prepared to adapt surely??

Can't see how you think she hasn't got a soulful voice Baz, you need to wash your ears out........oh and have an open mind :wicked:

Not going to get into the done to death younger thing but as you know i disagree with you there :wicked:

I think she could have a soulful voice, but not on this record, i dont dislike the record, but the whole thing doesn't fit for me, motown esq backing with a typical 'new' 'r&b' singing style, turns me off it abit :P

Social source share

Not going to get into the done to death younger thing but as you know i disagree with you there :P

I think she could have a soulful voice, but not on this record, i dont dislike the record, but the whole thing doesn't fit for me, motown esq backing with a typical 'new' 'r&b' singing style, turns me off it abit :wicked:

=================

Agree it's been done to death, but I don't think it's going to go away :wicked:

As for the record, I think it's really good :lol:

Social source share

==============

Can't see how you think she hasn't got a soulful voice Baz, you need to wash your ears out........oh and have an open mind :wicked:

Where did I say anything like that? I just can't see how someone hearing this song on the radio and wanting to hear similar would particularly make the connection to NS... it's not a cover version (I'm pretty sure I first saw the term Northern Soul in an article about Soft Cell's version of Tainted Love!) and the sample isn't from a soul track so it's far from obvious.

If it does somehow lead them to soul and they investigate further, then fantastic :wicked:

Edited by rachel
Social source share

Where did I say anything like that? I just can't see how someone hearing this song on the radio and wanting to hear similar would particularly make the connection to NS... it's not a cover version (I'm pretty sure I first saw the term Northern Soul in an article about Soft Cell's version of Tainted Love!) and the sample isn't from a soul track so it's far from obvious.

If it does somehow lead them to soul and they investigate further, then fantastic :wicked:

==============

I did say seem to think :wicked: As for making connections, everyone starts somewhere, you hear a particular style of record and investigate. It would only take a couple of DJ's to champion it, and say something like "Its in the style of......" and it might foster some interest? Don't think that's beyond the realms of possibility? As Baz said the youngsters coming onto the scene has been done over and over, but no solutions as yet. I think that with more positive feedback from established soulies this just may be a way forward :P

Social source share

in 1964 baby love was also done to death. I still think it a shite record, albeit from a 'bonafide' soul group of course. she can take me to rehab anytime she likes, pretty staunch lady in my book.

macca

ps any relation to mary whitehouse?

Edited by macca
Social source share

Absolutely love this. But since hearing it, I can stop singing 'Keep on talking'. Does it use the sample or is it a similar tune?

It has Mikey and traces of seven day fool too, read someone said its got traces of nimrod in it too....

But I do like this song very much and heard earlier on in the week on radio 2, dont cha think though she looks and sounds a bit like Chandler Bings girlfriend out of friends, ya know the one... Janice... :D:D

Social source share

It has Mikey and traces of seven day fool too, read someone said its got traces of nimrod in it too....

But I do like this song very much and heard earlier on in the week on radio 2, dont cha think though she looks and sounds a bit like Chandler Bings girlfriend out of friends, ya know the one... Janice... :D:D

Imagine if she sang with Janice's voice!

janice.jpg

Social source share

I really like it ! I think it's a great tune !

BUT it's a great POP record ! It has little to do with soul music except that no doubt Amy may have been inspired by listening to some classic soul and blues and jazz records ....

I think a much more apt musical comparison for Amy would be JANIS JOPLIN or MELISSA ETHERIDGE !

I think any comparison to the likes of Etta James or Sugarpie de Santo is disrespectful to those artists and the musical culture called Soul Music that they were a part of ...

If the rare soul scene relied on records like this it would surely die a swift death !!! yes.gif

Still, a nice tune, but I bet you Amy will never make another tune as good or establish a whole career on that record or that sound ...

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

I saw Amy Winehouse at an event on Tonbridge a few of years back where she was acclaimed as one of the best female vocalists on the jazz scene at the time.

She has got a hell of a voice ranting_1.gif

Although this is a good record, I believe it's been released as a stepping stone into the 'Urban RnB' market ala Cristina whatshername....

Will gain longevity more on the scooter scene I reckon.

Social source share

We should all be grateful to anybody who comes along and sings with such style and soul fulness alongside a proper band playing proper instruments.

Too early to catch on for the northern soul crowd.

maybe in 20 years time.

who's brave enough to go and purchase 25 copies and stick em in the attic.

is it available on 7" vinyl?

Social source share

YEAH PEDRO SHE WAS WELL OUT OF HER TREE

COULDNT EVEN SING KINDA EMBARRASING FOR HER

BUT SHE WAS MAKING ME CRINGE TOO

SAW HER ON THE SHARON OSBOURNE SHOW TOO

SINING IT LIVE AND SHE WAS PRETTY WEAK ALSO

IN COMPARISON TO THE VIDEO

I EXPECTED HER VOICE TO BE STRONGER.

SHE NEEDS TO GET BACK TO FRIENDS..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source