Your Favourite 100 Club Single

Guest ShaneH

As you will all know, the 100 club has just celebrated it's 27 year anniversary.

The legendary free 45 that is issued to the attendees of the anniversary event is a must have for many collectors on the scene.

Of all the 100 club single releases which one/s do you like the best?

Which ones have stood the test of time?

Or maybe you just want to add some interesting stories?

You can answer this too Ady if you don't mind :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have added a link for people to refresh their sagging memories on this miserable Monday :D

https://6ts.info/allnighters.asp?area=singles

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

As you will all know, the 100 club has just celebrated it's 27 year anniversary.

The legendary free 45 that is issued to the attendees of the anniversary event is a must have for many collectors on the scene.

Of all the 100 club single releases which one/s do you like the best?

Which ones have stood the test of time?

Or maybe you just want to add some interesting stories?

You can answer this too Ady if you don't mind :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have added a link for people to refresh their sagging memories on this miserable Monday :D

https://6ts.info/allnighters.asp?area=singles

Shane

Been looking for the Chuck Jackson - What's with this loneliness for ages, never seen one for sale. Don't know the tune but have been assured that it's fantastic. Sound file anyone please :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6T9 Chubby Checker - You can't lose something you never had

My favourite - absolutely gorgeous tune.

And the complete contrast on the other side, Here Comes Loneliness, isn't too shabby either.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Peggy Gaines is my fave track, but the one with Johnnie Taylor and Judy Clay on is my fave 2 sides (Does that make sense. I was never a fan of the TKos track, its good, but not as good as many of the other tunes.

Social source share

In truth all of them are actually worth owning, but over the years the only ones I've ever taken home and kept are the John Edwards/Loleatta Holloway and Carla Thomas discs. Often I've given them away on the night (seem to have a dim memory of Mick Smith waiting on the stairs each year to prise them from the hands of those members "too tired" to realise they are giving away musical history) or passed them on to friends who couldn't attend. Until the Carla Thomas one I had a stubborn insistence on not keeping them because I didn't collect UK labels (I know, what a twat) and I haven't made it down to the last three anniversaries for various reasons. A top five (in no order as all are phenomenal records) would be:

Carla Thomas "I'll Never Stop Loving You"

Chuck Jackson "What's With This Lonlieness"

San Francisco TKOs "Make Up Your Mind"

Loleatta Holloway "This Man's Arms"

Wee Willie Walker "I Don't Want To Take A Chance"

Edited by garethx
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

In truth all of them are actually worth owning, but over the years the only ones I've ever taken home and kept are the John Edwards/Loleatta Holloway and Carla Thomas discs. Often I've given them away on the night (seem to have a dim memory of Mick Smith waiting on the stairs each year to prise them from the hands of those members "too tired" to realise they are giving away musical history) or passed them on to friends who couldn't attend. Until the Carla Thomas one I had a stubborn insistence on not keeping them because I didn't collect UK labels (I know, what a twat) and I haven't made it down to the last three anniversaries for various reasons. A top five (in no order as all are phenomenal records) would be:

Carla Thomas "I'll Never Stop Loving You"

Chuck Jackson "What's With This Lonlieness"

San Francisco TKOs "Make Up Your Mind"

Loleatta Holloway "This Man's Arms"

Wee Willie Walker "I Don't Want To Take A Chance"

Sorry that this is slightly off thread but checked the SCJB to see if the Wee Willie Walker record that you suggest Gareth is there.

It isn't but there is his record There Goes My Used To Be.

This is new to me and It's fecking brilliant!!! :lol:

Mods. Please feel free to move this as I would be interested in views of this record and don't wish to hi-jack the thread.

Is the WWW record you suggested as good Gareth?

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Sorry that this is slightly off thread but checked the SCJB to see if the Wee Willie Walker record that you suggest Gareth is there.

It isn't but there is his record There Goes My Used To Be.

This is new to me and It's fecking brilliant!!! :lol:

Mods. Please feel free to move this as I would be interested in views of this record and don't wish to hi-jack the thread.

Is the WWW record you suggested as good Gareth?

KTF.

Drew.

WWW's version of "There Goes My Used To Be" is a later version (Goldwax 329 -1967) of the original by O.V.Wright (Goldwax 106- 1964).

It is a cracking record, but IMO not as good as the wistful and superb Pitches favourite, "I Don't Want To Take A Chance" which, as it happens, did not make it to a 45 release on Goldwax USA but did make it out on an impossibly scarce Vinyl Goldwax LP in Japan in 1977 and much later (1990's) on a Jap CD compilation prior to the 6T's 45.

Both great tunes. His earlier Checker material well worth checking out too!

Willie (allegedly) never received a cent for any of his Goldwax releases.... better luck though with his two superb, recent, CD's (along with the Butanes) which have been firm favourites with deep & Southern soul fans.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

It's worth mentioning with regard to the Wee Willie Walker that the version released by Ace on the Goldwax CD Volume 2 and on the 6Ts Anniversary 45 is not the same as the Japanese lp. The Ace/6Ts release is a fuller cut with horns and backing vocals: in my humble opinion not quite as good as the original, Japanese release. Interesting to note that you played it at Pitches, Sean. We used to hammer it at George Jackson in London, too.

As you state: the Japanese Vivid Sound lp is a pretty scarce vinyl release. A usually pretty crummy record shop in Inverness Street, Camden, had one behind the counter a couple of years ago. I asked them how much they wanted for it, but they told me it had been reserved for another customer at twenty quid. I offered them considerably more than that for it but the original buyer eventually picked it up. Wonder who he was.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Teardrops by a country mile :yes:

Also came out on a US label too - Saxony or something

Grant

As there are so many good ones that have been released on the label - Fabulous Impacts, Teardrops, Jnr McCants and so on wouldnt it be a great idea if the Kent lot released them all on a double or triple cd - would sell like hot cakes :lol:

Social source share

As there are so many good ones that have been released on the label - Fabulous Impacts, Teardrops, Jnr McCants and so on wouldnt it be a great idea if the Kent lot released them all on a double or triple cd - would sell like hot cakes :lol:

I don't think the FI's will come out on (vinyl) again as it was lifted from the original studio acetate before it was discovered to be the Moments on Hog - has Ady / Kent got the right to it?

Social source share

WWW's version of "There Goes My Used To Be" is a later version (Goldwax 329 -1967) of the original by O.V.Wright (Goldwax 106- 1964).

It is a cracking record, but IMO not as good as the wistful and superb Pitches favourite, "I Don't Want To Take A Chance" which, as it happens, did not make it to a 45 release on Goldwax USA but did make it out on an impossibly scarce Vinyl Goldwax LP in Japan in 1977 and much later (1990's) on a Jap CD compilation prior to the 6T's 45.

Both great tunes. His earlier Checker material well worth checking out too!

Willie (allegedly) never received a cent for any of his Goldwax releases.... better luck though with his two superb, recent, CD's (along with the Butanes) which have been firm favourites with deep & Southern soul fans.

Sean Hampsey

Thanks for the info Sean. :thumbsup:

Could you (or anyone else) post a sound file of the O.V. Wright version of There goes.....

for a comparison as I think the WWW version for me will take some beating. Can't stop listening to it.

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Often I've given them away on the night...... or passed them on to friends who couldn't attend.

Until the Carla Thomas one I had a stubborn insistence on not keeping them because I didn't collect UK labels

Thats so funny Gareth as that is exactly the same as me, particularly the UK thing, I probably went to all from mid 80's to early 90's and only have 2 (again coincidentally same 2 as you). Oh for less immaturity and more foresight :thumbsup::thumbsup:

One of the early years we left (including Mr Smith I am sure) ours in the Cloakroom rather than carry them, Ozzy was trying to swap them for drinks or coats!!

Carla Thomas wins it for me, probably played it in every set I had after getting it (too many according to some!!).Still love it.

Cheers

Jock

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Platters – ‘Not my girl’ & Fabulous Impact for nostalgic reasons

Carla Thomas – ‘Never stop’ perfect sing along tune in a ’poptastic’ kind of way

Peggy Gaines – ‘When the boy you love’ is probably the best female outing, for me

Garland Green – ‘Come through me’ is one of those “wow that’s good, how the hell did that not get a release” tracks - why don’t they make turntables that repeat?

Mill Evans – ‘Ain’t you glad’ brilliant tune to cheer you up

Charmaines – ‘I idolize you’ I like this because it’s different, a girly track with balls!

Shame it looks like I’d have to sell first 21 to buy a copy of this years!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

And the other side of John Edwards "This Mans Arms" Lolleata Holloway a good minute longer than the CD track :D

..more like a good two minutes longer :D

..brill thread btw :D

..the day is coming when someone will do a full set using just Kent Anniversary 45's :thumbsup:

..i am definitely tempted!

btw There was at least 4 played on Friday at The Orwell (San Fran, Chuck, Debra Johnson, Peggy etc)

plus - No one's mentioned 'The Millionares' yet :D Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

• 8 years later...

Here's a good thread from the past, 2006 to be precise.. so we're eight years on, and there have been eight more fabulous editions to this collection of releases, do folk still have the above as their favorites?

I'd have to go with: The Hytones - Good News | San Francisco T.K.O.'s | Melba Moore | Carla Thomas, and Mill Evans cause I was one of the small plethora who was on the floor when Ady first spun it... and always had a soft spot for The Devonnes - Doin The Gittin Up...

Malcolm

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Never been to the 100, but have loads of the Kent stuff & Dave Hamilton CDs & love most of it.

Got to say, Little Ann, Who Are You Trying To Fool is just, is just a sublime soul record.

I'm making presumption it's a 100 club record?

Also love One Way Street by the same brilliant lady too.

Neither have been on the 100 club anniversary singles yet.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!