Your Favourite 100 Club Single

Guest ShaneH

Larry Banks & Jaibi - My Life Is No Better

Wee Willie Walker - I Don't Want To Take A Chance

The Waves (Tandells) - Is It Love

Hytones

San Franciscan TKO's

All sublime....like some of the best soul records I've ever heard. First time i heard that Larry Banks I nearly fainted on Fudge and Nick Hackett.

Edited by corbett80
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Impossible to choose. Such a broad spectrum of music is represented.

A particular fave of mine is the little mentioned Wally Cox 'other version' of "This Man"

My big regret was missing the Hytones anniversary as I had to work last minute!

They all look very nice in the box however. ( he said smugly)

Jim;)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Carla Thomas - Poptastic, Simon, normally all your posts are spot on but on naughty step for me with that one.

That record reminds me of just the best times of life, and the communal joy that was in the 100 Club when it was played over the years was immense, and even at the party it still touches and tingles,  but at time of its initial plays it just took you to another place and all the other cliches about the dance floor experience. Its a feeling that drags people back week in and week out, if you still get it. I suspect due to age, cynicism and apathy I will never get that feeling again. Which sometimes hurts to think off. But every time I listen to it, it takes me back there, and I put the gin down and just smile.

Even playing it at Allanton, which was way past its first plays, it had the place buzzing, and smiling. The best last record, that I always played 4th or 5th last to start the journey to the end. 

So just in case there is any doubt. That is the best. You lot can carry on debating what is second best.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Being busy and narrowing it down:

• Melba Moore - thumper
  • Carla Thomas - too perfect
  • Chuck Jackson - sublime
  • Teardrops - stomper
  • Sharon Scott - underrated
  • Dean Courtney - classic
  • Lorraine Chandler - can't be bettered
  • San Franciscan TKO's - bass
  • Debra Johnson - recorded what year?
  • Diplomats - genre topping
  • Magicians - northern soul
  • Hytones - almost standard

nuff said.

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

EVERYTHING! that Ray Pollard sung that very special evening....as well as being totally blown away at my 1st nighter there as a 17yr old, when my fav' at the time-Paris Blues-suddenly errupted from the decks! Very special moments that i will treasure always-Thankyou Ady, Butch Mick,et al !!!

Social source share

haven't heard them all but 'to get love you got to give love' Debra Johnson is my favourite

top choice .....can anyone shed any light on the Noriega "issue " of the same tune ,some say they had the rights to it ,some say not ....sorry to throw things off-track a bit ???....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've never seen anyone say it was legal. Boot.

Oh B*llocks .........i may as well buy another one ....at least i'll have a pair !!!!! p.s. anyone want to buy a slightly but no further used copy ??!!

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - work filters
Social source share

Chuck Jackson been in and out of my playbox ever since its birth as an anniversary single - top tune

Also love Charmaines and my current Favourite is Stutterin Sam.

Thanks to Ady for the great tunes over the years, my annual anguish is that I won't be able to get the new single.

Derek

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!