Old list from John Farrell

Dayo

Prices look just as I remember, nothing way below the going rate. People didn't earn a lot back then and £10 for one record was a big chunk of a weekly wage. Also records were so cheap in the US and the exchange rate was around $2.40 to the pound.

Phil Flowers Discontented at £10 was a massive record that seems to be forgotten now. I got a VG demo on ebay some years back for £5.00.

No mention of condition as John only sold unplayed records. The mention of ZTSC collectors reminds me of the strange obsession with collecting records just because of a pressing plant matrix ,weird.

Rick

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Hey Colin,that Fab Apollas-Determination was a steal.I earned £7-50 a week back then.....Could have bought at least seven and a half of 'em!! Hope you're well sir,keeping the faith..but most of all taking care of that silky voice-over thing that's been going on since 'Dancing in the streets,with Colin Day...what can i say..out 'a sight tonight..baby'!! On a radio station just-up the motorway from me. Not just great but precious times.Les Ash.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, TRICKY said:

True Gilly he is a wonderful guy.

Remember green Pameline cool off for £3.

Lots of my Detroit stuff at this time came from John,Keith Rylett and his mate from Wales i think whos name eludes me.

Trev

I got a couple of "Cool Off" off him, did a swap with one with Kev Roberts at the Mecca.

Also got a Patti Young at the same time, and loads more in the 70's off him and Martin.

Saw John at The Wilton, last year, when Ann Sexton was on.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The lack of specifics would have been rather worrying to me.

Not sure whether demo or issue. Which Little Jimmy Scott is it (two different b-sides)?

Perhaps more importantly, is that really a first issue Len Jewell?! Seems unlikely (and pretty cheap) for it to be the ultra rare pink Teri-De 004. However, for a recent re-release on blue Teri-De 011 (which Manship's Bootleg Guide dates at early 1974, so roughly the right time), it looks awfully expensive.

Did anyone get a bargain pink Len Jewell off this list? Or, did anybody here get fleeced for a blue one?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter Richer said:

The lack of specifics would have been rather worrying to me.

Not sure whether demo or issue. Which Little Jimmy Scott is it (two different b-sides)?

Perhaps more importantly, is that really a first issue Len Jewell?! Seems unlikely (and pretty cheap) for it to be the ultra rare pink Teri-De 004. However, for a recent re-release on blue Teri-De 011 (which Manship's Bootleg Guide dates at early 1974, so roughly the right time), it looks awfully expensive.

Did anyone get a bargain pink Len Jewell off this list? Or, did anybody here get fleeced for a blue one?

The blue Terri De reissue pre-dates Wigan, so it was 73, unless it was done twice.

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Peter Richer said:

Could well be, either way it still begs the questions:

What was the record on the list?

And did anybody either get a bargain, or were they overcharged?

The Pink Copy, says Leonard Jewel, not Len Jewel, so it's looks like someone paid too much.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

21 minutes ago, davetay said:

The Pink Copy, says Leonard Jewel, not Len Jewel, so it's looks like someone paid too much.

Very good spot.

I bet there weren't many people who would have been able to make that distinction at the time. Nor that they had different b-sides.

Not easy to look it up then either (like I just did!).

Social source share

21 hours ago, deadwaxdetective said:

Hey Colin,that Fab Apollas-Determination was a steal.I earned £7-50 a week back then.....Could have bought at least seven and a half of 'em!! Hope you're well sir,keeping the faith..but most of all taking care of that silky voice-over thing that's been going on since 'Dancing in the streets,with Colin Day...what can i say..out 'a sight tonight..baby'!! On a radio station just-up the motorway from me. Not just great but precious times.Les Ash.

Hey Les - so good to hear from you. Feel like I've been outed on here! Fancy you recalling that jingle too! Rosko was the voice on that in case you didn't know. Hope you're keeping well and happy.  Colin

Social source share

2 hours ago, jim g said:

Jerry Cook £12 = £141 in today's money. Even £3 for a record back then. Was a lot of money to young soul fans like me! I was only taking home £11 a week....

I started work not long after this list came out- was earning £11.50 a week before tax - so about the same. A week's money was unthinkable on a single record for me too. It was a lot for Jerry Cooke even back then. And it was about to be pressed too....

21 hours ago, HILL868 said:

Interesting that Mike Post Coalition was dearer then than a number of much better and rarer items , like Martha Starr, and Emanuel Lasky, and isn't that Soul Partners 45 several hundred pounds ?!?

I'm pretty sure that both Martha Starr and Emanuel Lasky would have been pressed by the time that list came out. Most 45's plummeted in value directly they were pressed. And Mike Post was head and shoulders the biggest record on the scene for a few weeks.

On 8 January 2016 at 19:34, deadwaxdetective said:

Hey Colin,that Fab Apollas-Determination was a steal.I earned £7-50 a week back then.....

Very true. The bargain of the list, maybe? I should have bought that one one rather than the Toni Lamar! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, HILL868 said:

Not too sure that Martha Starr or E. Laskey have ever been booted ??

Ah! Well that would certainly blow a hole in my argument! I must confess that I didn't check...

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!