News: Otis Clay R.I.P

Oh sod it! We've had a horrible couple of years with so many of our favourites passing.

Otis was a hero of mine, and I'm sure many others, who made consistently strong, soulful music for over 50 years.

He was a real Soul man whose marvellous catalogue should be treasured.

Social source share

the man had a awesome voice and a big part of or music "the only way is up" still love this today even after yazz version spoiled it. thought and prayers to his family at this sad time RIP 

Edited by rhino
Social source share

R.I.P. Otis

Really sad news, our thoughts go out his family and friends. Val & myself have met Otis at gigs and socially during our many visits to Chicago and we will surely miss him. A soul legend we will never forget.

https://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-03/entertainment/ct-ott-0104-otis-clay-20130103_1_recording-studio-gospel-inez-andrews

David & Val Box

Chicago Friends.jpg

Chicago Friends 2.jpg

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

More sad news for fans of the real stuff……He made so many top notch records as well didn't he ?

Like this one,a personal favourite.    R.I.P.Otis Clay

Social source share

R.I.P Otis.  One of the few artists who consistently delivered throughout a long career.  Highlights are numerous but 'You hurt me for the last time' and  'Live in Japan' CD have gained maximum speaker time and  one of the best I have had the pleasure to see live.

Social source share

This is sad news, it greeted me yesterday on 9th Jan by a text message from close friend Andy Martin and again a F/Bk message from Tony Rounce. I didn't believe it at first, because not sure how the rest of you on  Soul Source do it but I have a crazy habit of thinking my soul heroes will live on forever. Otis like the late George Jackson , the mighty Sam Dees and the late great Terry Callier have been close friends of mine for 30 odd years of my near 50 years in black music. I've been truly blessed to not only meet these guys, but also to spend quality time in their company away from the spotlight and recording business.

Otis I met in the UK when interviewing him for Black Echoes and he was such a 'special, gentle spirit' totally respectful of my roots and upbringing as I of his music and career. We swapped stories and music  and after about an hour I felt I had known him all my life. His talent was monumental, his phasing and delivery of ballads quite overpowering to the listener and yes the real soul scene worldwide will a sad place without his might southern vocals that brings a smile to our faces. He that that special gift of putting pure emotion into those vinyl grooves.

My sincere thoughts go out to his family and friends at this time. R.I.P. big man I can honestly say the soul world just won't be the same without you. And thank you so much for your music legacy which will definitely go on forever.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

On 09/01/2016 at 17:38, Ivor Jones said:

More sad news for fans of the real stuff……He made so many top notch records as well didn't he ?

Like this one,a personal favourite.    R.I.P.Otis Clay

I was going to mention this one as well - a proper lost treasure, one of my favourite 45's full stop.

Also love 'Show Place' from around the same time - banging tune

Social source share

The visitation and funeral details follow:

Visitation Friday Jan 15th 4pm-10pm

Leak & Sons Funeral Chapel

7838 South Cottage Grove Av
Chicago, IL 60619
708-206-0860

January 16th

Family Fellowship Hour 10:00 am -11:00am 
Celebration of Life - Home Going Celebration11:00am - Noon

Liberty Baptist Church
4849 King Dr
Chicago, IL 
773-268-6757

Immediately following 

Oak Woods Cemetery
1035 E 67th St, Chicago, IL 60637
(773) 288-3800
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Another youtube clip (very short) put up by a SouthernSoul member .....

... Otis standing up @ Buddy Guy's Legends Club (he was in the audience) to sing a couple of verses of the song ... this was shot just weeks before he passed ....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!