Rambleings From The 27th Anniversery

Guest Baz

Well with so many! i say so many warm ups but there was only three on, we decided to head for Luton, talk of the south soul club to pass the time befor we desened down the hollowed steps of 100 Oxford Street, not been to Luton for nearly a year now but as far as soul nights go i herd some of the best more well known records you'd hear at a 'accross the bord' night Pete Hullet and Cliff played great sets between them, and Pete spun all his mega raritys that kept the dance floor going, on arrival pulled in to the car park which is usually quite full when we get there but it was empty thought it was going to be quiet all night, but by 9.30 the place was heaving, really put a smile on my face to see Andrew behind the decks with Pete T. Got a call from my mate down in graves end, whats onto night anything? "yeah the 100 club you need tickets" with in a few phone calls managed to score two for them thanks Dave and Pina, the moustaches came out about 11.30 we even managed to get Sean to wear one :( buy the time the fun had finished it was time for a quick wash and shirt change to head down the M1 into the city, must have pulled up behind the 100 club at around 1.45 met up with Nick & Hanna, Ian, Nicola, Andy & Gina and poor Pete who looked like some one had rammed a pole up his backside, got in the cue which didn't take long to move down, a half arsed check from winston for talc and we were there picking up our 45's.

Quick inspection and comfirmed it was the Charmains (i owe you a pint for that Molly best stick to my word of who ever guess's right, all though you did say Charmains would be the B-side :lol: ) the place was absolutely rammed, to be honest it was too packed for my liking you could hardly move, but the atmosphere was top notch, Mick (i think?) was on when we arrived getting the place going in his usual uptempo way, i really enjoyed the music on offer it was a mixture of 100 club classics that were broke at the 100 club (all though most people would say they were stafford tunes :yes: ) Butch played his spot of what you usually expect, mainly exclusives along with a few other oldies he's reactivated over they last few years, Ady played a full on set of 100 club tunes from the years gone by right up to the current monsters, thanks for dedicating Luther Ady :( sorry to say i didn't have one dance all night didn't even attempt it as i would have just been bumping into people and annoying them on the floor so sought out salvation round t'back with Dave Kenny, Karen and a few others for quite alot of the night, by about 7am i'd had enough as i didn't get much sleep friday night but i'd never seen so many people dancing still in there at that time of the morning. which was fantastic too see.

Happy Birthday to the 100 club well done to Ady and every one involved past and present for making soul history of what truly is the greatest all nighter in the world, long may it continue :(

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sounds like it was a brilliant night that Baz!

Shame I missed it, although I'm reliably informed that my body was staggering around the place.

:yes:

Here's to me failing to remember many more :lol:

Well with so many! i say so many warm ups but there was only three on, we decided to head for Luton, talk of the south soul club to pass the time befor we desened down the hollowed steps of 100 Oxford Street, not been to Luton for nearly a year now but as far as soul nights go i herd some of the best more well known records you'd hear at a 'accross the bord' night Pete Hullet and Cliff played great sets between them, and Pete spun all his mega raritys that kept the dance floor going, on arrival pulled in to the car park which is usually quite full when we get there but it was empty thought it was going to be quiet all night, but by 9.30 the place was heaving, really put a smile on my face to see Andrew behind the decks with Pete T. Got a call from my mate down in graves end, whats onto night anything? "yeah the 100 club you need tickets" with in a few phone calls managed to score two for them thanks Dave and Pina, the moustaches came out about 11.30 we even managed to get Sean to wear one :D buy the time the fun had finished it was time for a quick wash and shirt change to head down the M1 into the city, must have pulled up behind the 100 club at around 1.45 met up with Nick & Hanna, Ian, Nicola, Andy & Gina and poor Pete who looked like some one had rammed a pole up his backside, got in the cue which didn't take long to move down, a half arsed check from winston for talc and we were there picking up our 45's.

Quick inspection and comfirmed it was the Charmains (i owe you a pint for that Molly best stick to my word of who ever guess's right, all though you did say Charmains would be the B-side :lol: ) the place was absolutely rammed, to be honest it was too packed for my liking you could hardly move, but the atmosphere was top notch, Mick (i think?) was on when we arrived getting the place going in his usual uptempo way, i really enjoyed the music on offer it was a mixture of 100 club classics that were broke at the 100 club (all though most people would say they were stafford tunes :yes: ) Butch played his spot of what you usually expect, mainly exclusives along with a few other oldies he's reactivated over they last few years, Ady played a full on set of 100 club tunes from the years gone by right up to the current monsters, thanks for dedicating Luther Ady :( sorry to say i didn't have one dance all night didn't even attempt it as i would have just been bumping into people and annoying them on the floor so sought out salvation round t'back with Dave Kenny, Karen and a few others for quite alot of the night, by about 7am i'd had enough as i didn't get much sleep friday night but i'd never seen so many people dancing still in there at that time of the morning. which was fantastic too see.

Happy Birthday to the 100 club well done to Ady and every one involved past and present for making soul history of what truly is the greatest all nighter in the world, long may it continue :(

==========

Nice review Baz, think you pretty much captured the essence of the 100 :(

Guest woolie mark

Sounds like it was a brilliant night that Baz!

Shame I missed it, although I'm reliably informed that my body was staggering around the place.

:yes:

Here's to me failing to remember many more :(

you looked more confused than me andy.......and i couldn't remember my own name

:(

i can assure you you were having a brilliant time though cos i remember you telling me so :(

wot a top nite!

:lol:

Well with so many! i say so many warm ups but there was only three on, we decided to head for Luton, talk of the south soul club to pass the time befor we desened down the hollowed steps of 100 Oxford Street, not been to Luton for nearly a year now but as far as soul nights go i herd some of the best more well known records you'd hear at a 'accross the bord' night Pete Hullet and Cliff played great sets between them, and Pete spun all his mega raritys that kept the dance floor going, on arrival pulled in to the car park which is usually quite full when we get there but it was empty thought it was going to be quiet all night, but by 9.30 the place was heaving, really put a smile on my face to see Andrew behind the decks with Pete T. Got a call from my mate down in graves end, whats onto night anything? "yeah the 100 club you need tickets" with in a few phone calls managed to score two for them thanks Dave and Pina, the moustaches came out about 11.30 we even managed to get Sean to wear one :D buy the time the fun had finished it was time for a quick wash and shirt change to head down the M1 into the city, must have pulled up behind the 100 club at around 1.45 met up with Nick & Hanna, Ian, Nicola, Andy & Gina and poor Pete who looked like some one had rammed a pole up his backside, got in the cue which didn't take long to move down, a half arsed check from winston for talc and we were there picking up our 45's.

Quick inspection and comfirmed it was the Charmains (i owe you a pint for that Molly best stick to my word of who ever guess's right, all though you did say Charmains would be the B-side :whistling: ) the place was absolutely rammed, to be honest it was too packed for my liking you could hardly move, but the atmosphere was top notch, Mick (i think?) was on when we arrived getting the place going in his usual uptempo way, i really enjoyed the music on offer it was a mixture of 100 club classics that were broke at the 100 club (all though most people would say they were stafford tunes :whistling: ) Butch played his spot of what you usually expect, mainly exclusives along with a few other oldies he's reactivated over they last few years, Ady played a full on set of 100 club tunes from the years gone by right up to the current monsters, thanks for dedicating Luther Ady :thumbsup: sorry to say i didn't have one dance all night didn't even attempt it as i would have just been bumping into people and annoying them on the floor so sought out salvation round t'back with Dave Kenny, Karen and a few others for quite alot of the night, by about 7am i'd had enough as i didn't get much sleep friday night but i'd never seen so many people dancing still in there at that time of the morning. which was fantastic too see.

Happy Birthday to the 100 club well done to Ady and every one involved past and present for making soul history of what truly is the greatest all nighter in the world, long may it continue :thumbsup:

any chance of any playlists being posted ? Great review -captures a truely fantastic event

Not been to Luton in a while, but that's a good warm up and a straight forward run into town after.

Strange to journey down to the 100 without my mate Smudge riding shotgun. A veteran of so many trips there with me. Consequently I left later and arrived about 1.20am. Was a little surprised not to see Trickster lurking at the front of the queue, but no surprise to see Winston with his infectious laugh. Single in hand, a table with a view was secured at dance floor's edge and a few drinkies, whilst watching some familiar faces arrive was a pleasant passage of time at the early doors stage.

Can't remember the first track I danced to, but I'm sure it was during Mick's first set. Although the dance floor did swell to virtual capacity, cautious stepping was still viable providing one didn't attempt too much flamboyance. Butch's spot was superb with a couple of requests slipped in, which were played and indeed dance to. He did look quite dapper I thought, sporting a snappy jersy.

A sold out packer as was, meant a bounty of friendly faces and a great atmosphere which lasted for the duration of the morning. I had to laugh at Jon Buck's mini mirror attached to the wall in the gents with a special RSG courtesy notice.

A couple of trips above ground for a breath of fresh air found several soulies pavementing and discussing the finer points of a load of old cobblers. Back downstairs for the waning stages and Ady's last spot. Thanks for the Gerri Granger dedication. Had a step about to that and Jimmy Radcliffe as the ender. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable evening and a great anniversary at my beloved 100 Club.

Edited by Simsy

just checked me sales box some one's lifted THE OZELLS PLEASE DON'T GO ON CUB DEMO :yes::):lol: THIS SICKENS ME TO SAY THE LEAST it's listed on Manship 75 quid i'd got 50 on it.I NOW KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE LOADS DEALER MATES OF MINE HAVE BEEN IN THE SAME SITUATION . JUST GLAD IT WAS'NT THE ISONICS THEY MISSED THAT BUGGER A SORRY END TO A GREAT NIGHT :yes: WOODY

just checked me sales box some one's lifted THE OZELLS PLEASE DON'T GO ON CUB DEMO :):lol::yes: THIS SICKENS ME TO SAY THE LEAST it's listed on Manship 75 quid i'd got 50 on it.I NOW KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE LOADS DEALER MATES OF MINE HAVE BEEN IN THE SAME SITUATION . JUST GLAD IT WAS'NT THE ISONICS THEY MISSED THAT BUGGER A SORRY END TO A GREAT NIGHT :yes: WOODY
I MUST APPOLOGISE APPARENTLY IN MY SEMI CONCIOUS STATE I GAVE THE SO MENTIONED DISC TO MR RIMMER TO HAVE A BUTCHERS SORRY :yes::yes: WOODY

Source Advert