Lots of W B O B recording Library 45's coming up for sale

Mal C

Anybody else seen Lots of WBOB recording Library 45's coming up for sale recently? Tim Browns auction had one, and Ive seen a few via different sellers on E bay, anybody know anything about the source of these 45's?

s-l1600.jpg

The Best Northern Soul All-Nighter … Ever! [Disc 2].jpg

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

There's a talk radio stn out of Jacksonville (Florida) that uses the call letters WBOB. HOWEVER that has only been going since 2010 and being talk radio wouldn't have need for a 45 library that goes back to the 60's. In the 60's this same stn had a pop format but went by the name of WPDQ.

There was also a country stn based out of Minneapolis in the mid 90's but that got bought out and flipped to a rock format.

From 1947 to 1997 (?), there was also WBOB out of Galax, Virginia and that stn was sold on to new owners in 1984 (format before & after sale unknown to me). This area is bluegrass country, so I have some doubts that the stn would have held a big library of soul 45's.

Lots of US radio stns took on different identities down the years & so I guess another one may have used the moniker of WBOB in the past but I have no idea of it's details.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

29 minutes ago, modernsoulsucks said:

I still have Miracles demo,with WBOB 11743 sticker.

From slightly hazy memory a lot of these turned up in a shop off Peters Creek Parkway in Winston-Salem. Can't remember owners' names but husband and wife. Jim and Mary perhaps ?

First saw them in 1988 but obviously there before that as though I got some Northern had feeling been picked through by local dealers and collectors. In fact got more WBOB 45S a few years later out of local guy's  collection.

Asked owners re source at the time. I think it was Eden, N.C. but here I'm struggling. He may have said off a flea market rather than direct from radio station. Think I had a tele # but no reply. Either there was a station around there or more likely IMO that out of Galax ?

Roburt, I don't think changes in format are much of a guide as to what a library might hold. Alex Jones and I had a reasonable hit at a white gospel/religious waffle station in Georgia [I think]. Remember deal quite well as owner/manager got on to discussing creationism with me and having got on to Bishop Usher I thankfully had the wit to not challenge his ramblings. Coupled with Alex turning pale and looking anxious. I didn't want to screw the deal. In fact for the Little Ritchie and around 70 others I was quite prepared for Alex to pop down to nearest river and embrace Jesus !

ROD

Makes sense given that Eden and Galax are only a spit from each other. I suppose it depends on how much research labels did when sending out promo copies, or did some just send to every radio station regardless of format ?.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!