Colchester Soul Night

Saxafone

Colchester Arts Centre launches its first Northern Soul Night with ADY CROASDELL, JAMES TROUBLE,WARREN C and DONNA D. Brilliant venue - an old church with wooden floor. 11pm - 3am.

Mother Theresa of Oxford St answers my prayers ! All those pilgrimages to the 100 club have worked after all. Have been banging on for an Essex night for long enough - wrong part of Essex maybe but it's a start. Getting there will be easy enough on the train - anybody up for getting a mini bus arranged for the return trip to South Essex ? Easy enough to do Witham - Chelmsford - Rayleigh - Southend.

You couldn't wish for a better opening night line up - so let's support it.

Drop me a line and let's get the transport sorted - mail to saxafone@aol.com

Haydn

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well you've got Rob Messer somewhere down that direction and skinhead John lives in a cave on the cliffs of Southend, plus Paul Clarke, Mappy, JT hisself and a load of old 100 Clubbers from the 80s who must be due a night off by now, so I'm sure some of them will get their acts together nearer the time. Failing that book a tandem for the weekend.

Guest James Trouble

I think the Chelmsford soulies are going to organise a party to come over, not sure their plans exactly, I'll let you know if they organise a mini bus or the like though...

Looking forward to this one :thumbsup:

Colchester Arts Centre launches its first Northern Soul Night with ADY CROASDELL, JAMES TROUBLE,WARREN C and DONNA D. Brilliant venue - an old church with wooden floor. 11pm - 3am.

Mother Theresa of Oxford St answers my prayers ! All those pilgrimages to the 100 club have worked after all. Have been banging on for an Essex night for long enough - wrong part of Essex maybe but it's a start. Getting there will be easy enough on the train - anybody up for getting a mini bus arranged for the return trip to South Essex ? Easy enough to do Witham - Chelmsford - Rayleigh - Southend.

You couldn't wish for a better opening night line up - so let's support it.

Drop me a line and let's get the transport sorted - mail to saxafone@aol.com

Haydn

==============

What date is it on?

Looks like the makings of a good night out, I trust you will play your copy of the Gospel Classics Donna? Shall be along with Annie and an oxygen cylinder. Not that she smells of course, but the air is rather thin that far out in the wilds of Essex :thumbsup:

Guest DonnaD

Looks like the makings of a good night out, I trust you will play your copy of the Gospel Classics Donna? Shall be along with Annie and an oxygen cylinder. Not that she smells of course, but the air is rather thin that far out in the wilds of Essex ph34r.gif

Most definately - I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'm really looking forward to this. See you both there :ohmy: Best to approach Colchester very very slowly so you can acclimatise before getting on the dancefloor.

Guest James Trouble

D'Arcy, will be nice to see you and Annie, make sure not to forget her leash :yes::yes: (Sorry Annie :thumbsup::thumbsup: )

This is really shaping up to be a good event! The venue is a converted church (hope my feet don't burn) and is fantastic. Well worth a visit!!!!! :thumbsup:

med_gallery_663_10_252271.jpg

med_gallery_663_10_178816.jpg

Edited by James Trouble
Guest DonnaD

I presume Warren C is Warren Cocker? Haven't seen him for years - had a great collection then so must be way better now! In fact, haven't been to the CAC since those FamilyAffair acidjazz nights. Must make an effort to get back some time. Good luck with the night.

Col

Hi Col, Yes tha's Warren Cocker - he does indeed have a great collection. I haven't heard him play for years either so I can't wait. I know that he always kept me dancing in the past.

• 3 weeks later...

Only three days to go!!! How exciting - I absolutely love this venue, it's got to be one of the best in Essex and at last the dancefloor is going to be put to proper use - the more support it gets the longer we can keep hold of it.

See you there

beer.gifthumbup.gif

Guest James Trouble

I heard at the weekend that a few folk from Chelmsford are organising a minibus/taxis back form Colchester after the event. If anyone needs to be involved in these plans PM me and I'll put you in contact...

Hi James, just back from the Luanco weekender in Spain, great place - fantastic people - unfortunately not strictly our taste in choons so looking forward to Friday for some rehab.

Heard from a few from the deep south of Essex (well Rayleigh & Hockley!) looking to travel up by train and coordinate the return trip - past experience suggests this is best done before the 12 pints of old cobbolds brain expander are savoured.

Handily there's an 03:35 stansted bus out of colchester for stops to Braintree and beyond for those with bladders like Ady's wallet.

Anyone else interested in sharing return travel by mini bus to Rayleigh - Southend areas via the famous A12 dogging layby drop me a line before I confirm numbers wednesday evening.

Haydn & Wendy

Only three days to go!!! How exciting - I absolutely love this venue, it's got to be one of the best in Essex and at last the dancefloor is going to be put to proper use - the more support it gets the longer we can keep hold of it.

See you there

:P:yes:

a few of us herts people are crossing the border for this donna,you've been warned :lol::lol::lol:

a few of us herts people are crossing the border for this donna,you've been warned :P:lol::lol:

Ken's coming to keep you all in order, I've seen you lot turn ugly, usually when the bar shutters come down.

The venue's great, we went there for an acid jazz night! I would say that the security going into the gaff is thorough, but it's relaxed once inside.

YOU'D BETTER HIDE THE CANDLE STICKS THEN :wicked:

Oh dear! Thought you were going to be on your best behaviour!!??? Shall I hide the beer? You don't want to give the wrong impresson eh! :thumbsup:

See you all later, really looking forward to this one. And best of all I get to go home and sleep in my own bed!

Annie x

Candle sticks, back doors and deepest Essex. Is it really true what they say about Friday nights in the sticks? Seriously really looking forward to this one.

I just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone who came along to the Arts Centre last night and made it such a great night. It was also brilliant to see non-soulies enjoying the music, there were some really positive comments from a few people who had never heard the music before but loved it and will be venturing along to the next one. That's exactly what this scene needs, young people being exposed to northern soul through fun nights that don't take themselves too seriously. Also a massive thank you to the DJ's who kept people dancing right up until the end. :yes::lol:

Hi Donna

I'm bumpin' this back up because I'd love to see a playlist or two and a review of the night - I didn't make it because of the late start and quite honestly wondered how many handbaggers after a late drink would pitch up - would love to see a review etc to make sure I get there next time - hows about it???? :thumbsup:

Mike B

On entering the venue (like it said on the box - it's a church) all the congregation were warmly welcomed by the curate's security staff, some close bonding there - not quite sure what they were looking for though. Grabbed a few words with Reverend Trouble and Bishop Croasdell of Oxford St - not too many though coz there's only two small bars and you could easily lose pole position with too much gossiping - and they shut at 3. Plenty of usual suspects in evidence but outnumbered by new faces who had come to see what all the fuss was about - a great turn out, it was heaving. From there on until 3am it was a beer sodden, soul drenched mash - not for the purist perhaps but top fun and some great oldies (think 100 club crimbo party - but with Ady not quite so pissed). The finer ettiquette of dance floor decorum may not yet have pervaded to these distant parts so there was more arse over tit dancing moves than backdrops due to the well lubricated dance floor - but it just added to the fun. All in all a great night out and I'm sure it will become a popular night in these parts. As for playlists, stella, stella, double brandy, stella, vodka red bull, stella - I leave that to those that can remember - and that's nobody on our bus !

Haydn

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(Mike B @ Oct 30 2006, 10:19 PM) link
Hi Donna

I'm bumpin' this back up because I'd love to see a playlist or two and a review of the night - I didn't make it because of the late start and quite honestly wondered how many handbaggers after a late drink would pitch up - would love to see a review etc to make sure I get there next time - hows about it???? :unsure:

Mike B

Hi Mike,

Haydn's review was spot on but if you need a translation I'd say it was a great night for the soul enthusiast but not for the hard core. I got away with sounds like Big Daddy Rogers, Frank Beverly Because Of My Heart and The Waves Is It Love Baby but felt that party time oldies were the main thing for the crowd. Having said that James was far more adventurous and got away with playing his new Cavaliers RCA one off and other super rare things that seemed to go OK with the clientel who by then were well up for it. Also sixties, seventies, R&B and different styles mixed well and made it interesting, though most tracks were pretty well known. It's a big gaff so you can find your own area for dancing.

Guest James Trouble

Carms did are nice review on Rare Soul Forum, but don't want to post cross forum links.

As Ady said, music was a mix of old time classics to the new and the very rare, even with a couple of Texas funk 45s thrown in from me :unsure: All records played were 60s sounds I think? Personally I'll probably be spinning a few more classics next time as I'd say that 80% of the crowd were new to it all, so a few more thngs they might recognise would make it all a bit more relevent to their ears, but as Ady said they were enthusiastic and the dance floor was full all night.

Donna's hard work paid off and her efforts to take northern soul to the masses of Essex is a mission well worth supporting in my opinion. With a few more events like this in the country promoting this great music to a new crowd, hopefully, fingers crossed, a few years down the line there won't be too many more horror storys like we've heard this week of empty venues at the scene's 'flag ship nights' :unsure:

Edited by James Trouble

Carms did are nice review on Rare Soul Forum, but don't want to post cross forum links.

As Ady said, music was a mix of old time classics to the new and the very rare, even with a couple of Texas funk 45s thrown in from me :unsure: All records played were 60s sounds I think? Personally I'll probably be spinning a few more classics next time as I'd say that 80% of the crowd were new to it all, so a few more thngs they might recognise would make it all a bit more relevent to their ears, but as Ady said they were enthusiastic and the dance floor was full all night.

Donna's hard work paid off and her efforts to take northern soul to the masses of Essex is a mission well worth supporting in my opinion. With a few more events like this in the country promoting this great music to a new crowd, hopefully, fingers crossed, a few years down the line there won't be too many more horror storys like we've heard this week of empty venues at the scene's 'flag ship nights' :unsure:

Great post James :unsure:

Keep up the good work Donna :lol:

Guest Andy Brazil

I totally agree!

also love that flyer;

looking forward to the November do.

well done Donna!; :unsure:

-see you Saturday.

A.