Records That You Let Go - " Oops ! "

Guest Malc Burton

I was searching through some old files recently , and found a four - page sales list of original 45s I had put together from 1982 . Needless to say , reading it again after 24 years , and looking at the prices that were allied to each disc , the respective buyers of discs from the list must have clapped their hands more than the audience at an Edwin Hawkins Singers Concert ......

As stated , the list is a four pager , with over 200 sides listed : what follows is just some of the " bargains " I let go .......

Roy Hamilton " Crackin' Up Over You " ( RCA Black Issue ) ....... £ 5

Roscoe Shelton " Running for My Life " ( Sounds Stage 7 Issue ) ...... £ 6

Herbert Hunter " I Was Born To Love You " ( Spar Issue ) ....... £ 7

Darrell Banks " I'm The One Who Loves You " ( Volt Issue ) ...... £ 3

Terry Callier " Look At Me Now " ( Cadet Demo ) ........ £ 5

Tony Middleton " To The Ends Of The Earth " ( MGM Demo ) ....... £ 4

Pookie Hudson " This Gets To Me " ( Jamie White Demo ) ....... £ 16

Shane Martin " I Need You " ( Epic Issue ) ....... £ 8

Younghearts " A Little Togetherness " ( Canterbury White Demo ) ....... £ 10

There are many examples of bollock dropping on the list , but I have had to stop , as the tears from my eyes are falling onto the keyboard ......

Just before I get my coat , surely the biggest example of testicle releasing - think King Kong - must go to this ...........

Rita DaCosta " Don't Bring Me Down " ( Mohawk White Demo ) ....... £ 10

Chapper's has one in his sales box for £ 750 .

Such is life .

Question : What did you let go for silly money ?

Malc Burton

The CORNER POCKET , Mexborough , South Yorkshire

Saturday , October 21st : Guest DJ - ROB SMITH

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• Replies 49
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Sore subject and very painful to contemplate Malc,

Soon after Clifton Hall and Cleethorpes ended I sold half of my collection and just kept the good stuff!

The bits that went included...

Charles Johnson - Never Had A Love So Good - Alston £10

Daybreak - I Need Love - PAP £15

Lew Kirton - Heaven In The Afternoon - Alston £5

ZZ & CO - Getting Ready For The Get Down - £10

CoCo & Benn - Good Feeling - £5

Pookie Hudson - This Gets To Me - Jamie £20

Ty Karim - Lightin Up - Romark £10

Minnie Jones - Shadow Of A Memory - Sugar £10

PP Arnold - Everything's Gonna Be Alright - UK Immediate £25

Incredibles - Theres Nothing Else To Say Baby - Stateside Demo £40

And thousands more.

To shift them quicker and in quantity I sold 4 car loads to Rob Smith @ 10 pence each!

He still buys me a pint though whenever he sees me! :lol:

But I often think....good job I kept all the good stuff! :yes:

Sean

Social source share

Sore subject and very painful to contemplate Malc,

Soon after Clifton Hall and Cleethorpes ended I sold half of my collection and just kept the good stuff!

The bits that went included...

Charles Johnson - Never Had A Love So Good - Alston £10

Daybreak - I Need Love - PAP £15

Lew Kirton - Heaven In The Afternoon - Alston £5

ZZ & CO - Getting Ready For The Get Down - £10

CoCo & Benn - Good Feeling - £5

Pookie Hudson - This Gets To Me - Jamie £20

Minnie Jones - Shadow Of A Memory - Sugar £10

PP Arnold - Everything's Gonna Be Alright - UK Immediate £25

Incredibles - Theres Nothing Else To Say Baby - Stateside Demo £40

And thousands more.

To shift them quicker and in quantity I sold 4 car loads to Rob Smith @ 10 pence each!

He still buys me a pint though whenever he sees me! :lol:

But I often think....good job I kept all the good stuff! :yes:

Sean

Hi Sean ......

When did you have 4 cars to load ? Nearly as many as Payney had a one time ..... :(

Will ROB SMITH be bringing the discs you sold him to THE CORNER POCKET , Mexborough , South Yorkshire on SATURDAY, OCTOBER 21ST , when he is guest DJ ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hi Sean ......

When did you have 4 cars to load ? Nearly as many as Payney had a one time ..... :lol:

Will ROB SMITH be bringing the discs you sold him to THE CORNER POCKET , Mexborough , South Yorkshire on SATURDAY, OCTOBER 21ST , when he is guest DJ ?

Malc Burton

sold these in mid eighties

al williams £150

lester tipton £150

the ciaros swapped for little nicky sole

new wanderers "this man " £25

rita & tiarras "£80

plus loads more i care not to think about as they say you live and learn :yes:

Social source share

Roscoe Shelton " Running for My Life " ( Sounds Stage 7 Issue ) ...... £ 6

Just before I get my coat , surely the biggest example of testicle releasing - think King Kong - must go to this ...........

Rita DaCosta " Don't Bring Me Down " ( Mohawk White Demo ) ....... £ 10

Chapper's has one in his sales box for £ 750 .

Malc, don't be too upset. Roscoe Shelton is only worth about £20 and the Rita Dacosta white demo is worth £250 maximum, what the hell is he on about asking £750...the orange demos are rarer

Social source share

What a depressing subject!

Sold in mid-eighties:

Ray Pollard on Shrine £25

Monique on Maurci £10

Harry Starr on End £10

Johnny Gilliam on Bo Mar (swapped for God knows what)

Johnny Gilliam on Cancer (ditto)

Bobbie Smith on American Arts £20

Stratoliners on Federal £10

Accents (Think Again) £10

Jo Anne Garrett (Whole New Plan) £10

and countless others that I only ever remember when I see them for sale at silly (2006) prices!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Sean

Had you reduced it from £15, and written on the cover, 'On Brady's list for £20'??

If so it was me that bought it. (At Stafford)

I still have the cover, but had to sell the record a couple of years ago. I got a fair price from Eddie Edmondson, so at least it went to a good home :thumbsup:

Not let go, but I did once leave copies of Anthony and the aqualads at £8, Frankie Beverly £12 and Tony Galla £8, and bought one of those dodgy Marvin Gaye - Lonely Lover 'acetates' for £8 instead!

Social source share

Sold a load of stuff to a guy in the early 90's for £300 the lot and that batch included to name but a few :-

Hayes Cotton, Roy Hamilton (black issue), Misty Moore, Victors, Syng McGowan (now a silly price!), Sheila Ferguson, Bernard Williams, Preston Peters, Charades MGM yellow demo, and so on :thumbsup:

Social source share

Malc, don't be too upset. Roscoe Shelton is only worth about £20 and the Rita Dacosta white demo is worth £250 maximum, what the hell is he on about asking £750...the orange demos are rarer

I thought it was a bit steep ...... had to look twice as I thought it said £ 7. 50 . :thumbsup:

Malc Burton

Social source share

I thought it was a bit steep ...... had to look twice as I thought it said £ 7. 50 . wicked.gif

Malc Burton

almost complete arctic collection plus ray pollard on shrine,soundmasters,just brothers and honey & bees on garrison,oracles,both moniques,moses dillard,sillouettes,complete blue cat and tuff collections,£300!.I was really pissed off at the time but not as much as i am now,never got all the cash anyway,but that was lawson for you :thumbsup:
Social source share

sold a big box of records to a mate years ago, about 5 years later i asked him if he wanted to sell them back, which he did, however about 50 of the original box were missing, although the box was full the last 50 at the back of the box were disco records and deffo not in there when i sold the box, so glad to get most of them back i forgot about he 50 or so that had gone astray, soon prices started rising and i realised in the 50 gone astray was

both sandra phillips on gold broadway

both tobi lark on topper

charades on mgm demo

sharon scott issue :lol:

and a strange one that appears to have reared it head recently

little jewel on tayster :)

Social source share

Otis Lee-Hard roe to hoe for 4 quid. :yes: Not a lot of people know that i had it. Buried on one of my lists, someone got a bargain, but i remember that at the time only 1 person asked for it, so it couldn't have been that known at the time. :lol: Everybody knows i let the Brooks Brothers go for a fiver, but the thing is, at the time it was fairly coommon in the west mids and there were a lot of copies about that were going for around 3-4 squid. It got poplar at Stafford and hence everyone wanted it. I had A.C.Reed at £4 but had 25 copies of it. Same with Lonnie Lester. I did Jeanette at a quid, a soul pack record wasnt it. Went big 30 years later. :yes: Anyway, everybody has probably sold/given away something that later has become an ultra expensive record, which has made NS one of the most interesting and for many a rewarding experience/exercise. :) The fact its still going and we can talk about the "MISTAKES" makes this scene all the more interesting. :yes:

Richard Domar

www.domarrecords.co.uk

Social source share

Sold 1250 records to pay for law school ,i was so skint after my degree,stuff like billy hambric,fab apollos [got that back of tim brown]moses dillard,moses smith on cottillion and some awesome detroit ,too many to mention really.fortunes turn but and managed to get most back,still not got a moses dillard though [pay the price].

BAZ A.

Social source share

I've only been collecting 10 years & have never had any of the really rare stuff but even in that short period of time prices have shot up so much that i'm slightly gutted what i've sold certain things for.

Darrow Fletcher - What have i got now £15

Gwen Davis - My man don't think i know £25

Clydie King - Soft & gentle ways £65

That's just three off the top of my head, i know i've sold at least 300 decent tunes probably for a lot less than they are worth now even though the prices have come down a fair bit.

God knows how you must feel if you'd sold stuff like Lester Tipton for peanuts, gutted i would imagine.

Simon

Social source share

Guest trickbag

sold a lot of stuff in 87 at a record fair here in belfast,

needed the money to start a francise, iv still got the

francise 18 years later,could have bought them all back

plus a lots more, but taped them all anyway, so thought

na.

26_09_06_1959.jpg(post-4723-1159367872_t

26_09_06_1958.jpg(post-4723-1159367911_t

Social source share

Sold 1250 records to pay for law school ,i was so skint after my degree,stuff like billy hambric,fab apollos [got that back of tim brown]moses dillard,moses smith on cottillion and some awesome detroit ,too many to mention really.fortunes turn but and managed to get most back,still not got a moses dillard though [pay the price].

BAZ A.

Baz - don't mention lost Detroit items mate, it makes me sick to the pit of my stomach :thumbsup:

Kev

Social source share

Too many to mention :thumbsup:Sadly all 3 collections I've had. I was a mere 16yr old when I starting collecting RCA issues and MGM demos, sold when got married - then 2 joint collections which had to be sold, heartbreaking, had some good rare stuff and nice foreign and dare I say on here, R & B bits n bobs :thumbsup: ....

Rebuilding my own collection again, which unless am gonna lose the roof above my head and have no food for the table - it ain't going no where..........

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Too many to mention :thumbsup:Sadly all 3 collections I've had. I was a mere 16yr old when I starting collecting RCA issues and MGM demos, sold when got married - then 2 joint collections which had to be sold, heartbreaking, had some good rare stuff and nice foreign and dare I say on here, R & B bits n bobs :thumbsup: ....

Rebuilding my own collection again, which unless am gonna lose the roof above my head and have no food for the table - it ain't going no where..........

Karen

Jackey Beavers, Tamala Lewis, George Blackwell, Salvadors, Johnny Hendley, Daybreak, Yum Yums,Jimmy Delphs and loads more ! (Like a lot of people )

But speedlimits list, Lester Tipton and the Cairo's. Oh dear. :lol:

Although I remember turning down a water damaged label copy of Al Williams, LaBeat white demo for £15 at Clifton Hall. And I still haven't got one. :angry:

Social source share

Guest Hector Rivera

sold a lot of stuff in 87 at a record fair here in belfast,

needed the money to start a francise, iv still got the

francise 18 years later,could have bought them all back

plus a lots more, but taped them all anyway, so thought

na.

Ricky,

I think I bought some off you then as that was just the time I started collecting and

I remember getting a good haul at one of the (usually crap) Belfast fairs.

Had you a load of magazines for sale as well ??

Social source share

Sean

Had you reduced it from £15, and written on the cover, 'On Brady's list for £20'??

If so it was me that bought it. (At Stafford)

Yes Sir, I believe that was me.... and if you recall, I actually only sold you the 20 year lease on it (for the measley £15).... which, as it happens, expires any time now.

I'll pm you my address.

Please pack it well.

Cheers

Sean

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I really feel for my mate Wayne (if you're looking in mate :D ) when this topic comes up.

He had a really good collection which, due to misfortune in life, he had to sell, & unfortunatley just before the boom.

We were talking the other day, & he recalled letting an "issue" of "Youngblood Smith - You can split" go for £15 !! £5 of which he never recieved !!!! (hope you feel guilty whoever it was)

God knows what he would get for it today ? According to Kev Roberts Top 500 book it don't even exist !! ( alledgedly ) :thumbsup: phew nearly forgot to put that :thumbsup:

Social source share

Laugh or cry i don't really know, seems like we have all done it but here goes don't ask the prices coz i can't or don't want to remember...lol

Empires, Blue Jays, Gene Toones Stock/Issue, Ray Pollard- Shrine, Soul Shakers - Teri de, Imperial C's, Twans, Eric Mercury - Sac, Chuck Holiday either sold for peanuts or stolen out of my flat in North Wales, Lou Pride - Love Is Fading, Betty Wilson - Dayco, Ron Baxter, Jesse Davis - Hang On In There...and numerous other bits and bobs over the years...sold a few big ticket items in recent years but no problem there as i got good trades or prices.......spare a thought for what the likes of John Anderson have had through their hands over the years....Mr Massey will remember that legendary Detroit list from 'Soul Bowl' way back... i got Tempos - Diamond Jim, Volumes - Impact, Masqueraders - How and several others for the cost of a pok pie way back...lol all horses for courses, swings and slides and the nature of the beast...lol

Help...we all need it!

Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Laugh or cry i don't really know, seems like we have all done it but here goes don't ask the prices coz i can't or don't want to remember...lol

Empires, Blue Jays, Gene Toones Stock/Issue, Ray Pollard- Shrine, Soul Shakers - Teri de, Imperial C's, Twans, Eric Mercury - Sac, Chuck Holiday either sold for peanuts or stolen out of my flat in North Wales, Lou Pride - Love Is Fading, Betty Wilson - Dayco, Ron Baxter, Jesse Davis - Hang On In There...and numerous other bits and bobs over the years...sold a few big ticket items in recent years but no problem there as i got good trades or prices.......spare a thought for what the likes of John Anderson have had through their hands over the years....Mr Massey will remember that legendary Detroit list from 'Soul Bowl' way back... i got Tempos - Diamond Jim, Volumes - Impact, Masqueraders - How and several others for the cost of a pok pie way back...lol all horses for courses, swings and slides and the nature of the beast...lol

Help...we all need it!

Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark

I do remember but what about Keith rylatts list he had the complete Thelma collection on it the most expensive one was Martha Starr solution at £7 :D most expensive on the list was Connie Van Dyke wheelsville for £25

My big mistake was having William Powell Heartache Soveniers in my house at £120 and didnt buy it, had the money as well

I really feel for my mate Wayne (if you're looking in mate :D ) when this topic comes up.

He had a really good collection which, due to misfortune in life, he had to sell, & unfortunatley just before the boom.

We were talking the other day, & he recalled letting an "issue" of "Youngblood Smith - You can split" go for £15 !! £5 of which he never recieved !!!! (hope you feel guilty whoever it was)

God knows what he would get for it today ? According to Kev Roberts Top 500 book it don't even exist !! ( alledgedly ) :thumbsup: phew nearly forgot to put that :thumbsup:

I've got an issue not that rare

Social source share

Hi Mark

I do remember but what about Keith rylatts list he had the complete Thelma collection on it the most expensive one was Martha Starr solution at £7 :thumbsup: most expensive on the list was Connie Van Dyke wheelsville for £25

My big mistake was having William Powell Heartache Soveniers in my house at £120 and didnt buy it, had the money as well

Deffo Heartache Ted for sure...lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Now ,then if we,re talking "lost DETROIT items ,where did my---Lester Tipton,Al Williaim,Utopias,Buddy Smith,Cynthia and The IMaginiart Three,Brooks Bros and my faves------Jimmy Mack(Palmer) Al Williams(La beat) Al Gardner(Sepia) the list goes on ,i had virtually everything on Ric-Tic,Golden World,Wingate,D-Town ,Sidra,Drew, La-Beat, Cool- School,Gordy and associated labels---up until 1981--it was more important to me than my job ---but hey-- the girlfriend gets pregnant, your,e whole set of priorities change.

In those days there was no-one on a large scale like J.M.etc,,,i took my sounds (100) at a time to WIGAN(sat night) and one night came home with £900--- Mother in law thought i,d mugged someone------I went upstairs to cry for 3 hrs-----Tim Ashibende,and Chris Plant will remember this night well-----(Rita and Tiaras,George Kirby,Little Johnny Hamilton,George Lemon___which Pete Lawson said i should have kept--- and many more.

But hey we,ve all done it ,and the baby Paul is now 22 ,a teacher and drop dead gorgeos so i,m told.Hope i,ve not ramled too much

Love and stuff to all

Tony.C.

Social source share

Hi Mark

I do remember but what about Keith rylatts list he had the complete Thelma collection on it the most expensive one was Martha Starr solution at £7 :thumbsup: most expensive on the list was Connie Van Dyke wheelsville for £25

Does anyone know roughly how many were issued then ?

Just checked the Top 500 again definatley says Unless anyone knows otherwise, the record was never issued.

Any chance of a scan ? be nice to put the issue to bed, so to speak, as we were arguing about it existing the other day.

Social source share

I gave away Wade Flemmons Jannette and AC Reed on the same day 8

Pat & the Blenders - FAST EDDIE with rarer b side :thumbsup:

IWe were talking the other day, & he recalled letting an "issue" of "Youngblood Smith - You can split" go for £15 !! £5 of which he never recieved !!!! (hope you feel guilty whoever it was)

God knows what he would get for it today ?

Passed one up while back in favour of Freddie Gorman. Was £125, issue I think.

Social source share

Now ,then if we,re talking "lost DETROIT items ,where did my---Lester Tipton,Al Williaim,Utopias,Buddy Smith,Cynthia and The IMaginiart Three,Brooks Bros and my faves------Jimmy Mack(Palmer) Al Williams(La beat) Al Gardner(Sepia) the list goes on ,i had virtually everything on Ric-Tic,Golden World,Wingate,D-Town ,Sidra,Drew, La-Beat, Cool- School,Gordy and associated labels---up until 1981--it was more important to me than my job ---but hey-- the girlfriend gets pregnant, your,e whole set of priorities change.

In those days there was no-one on a large scale like J.M.etc,,,i took my sounds (100) at a time to WIGAN(sat night) and one night came home with £900--- Mother in law thought i,d mugged someone------I went upstairs to cry for 3 hrs-----Tim Ashibende,and Chris Plant will remember this night well-----(Rita and Tiaras,George Kirby,Little Johnny Hamilton,George Lemon___which Pete Lawson said i should have kept--- and many more.

But hey we,ve all done it ,and the baby Paul is now 22 ,a teacher and drop dead gorgeos so i,m told.Hope i,ve not ramled too much

Love and stuff to all

Tony.C.

I'm crying for you Tony...lol still again we have all done it and all have a tale to tell, but you did the right thing at the time, and who's was to know how the price of records would end up 'NO ONE' that's who, imagine trying to sell a record for even £500.00 way back you would have be classified a nutter...lol now we are all nutters.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

bELIEVE I bought the W ater damaged W.D.of A l Williams of awell known Skegness guy at the time(1978/79) i already had the issue --just loved the sound!!!!!

Jackey Beavers, Tamala Lewis, George Blackwell, Salvadors, Johnny Hendley, Daybreak, Yum Yums,Jimmy Delphs and loads more ! (Like a lot of people )

But speedlimits list, Lester Tipton and the Cairo's. Oh dear. :thumbsup:

Although I remember turning down a water damaged label copy of Al Williams, LaBeat white demo for £15 at Clifton Hall. And I still haven't got one. :angry:

Social source share

ive sold some nice 45s in the past......Parisians £25....Soul Communicaters £30.....Charades £30........and a fair few more.......everyone would like a crystal ball......its what you do with the money....i bought more 45s i liked better......which (if i could remember the deals that went on).....have prob appreciated.as much....you bring these things up in the pub........mucho wringing of hands......(neglecting to mention you got £500 for that Sam Nesbit 45 you bought for £5 in 77 ) :wicked:

Social source share

My most famous 2 minutes was a deal with Ian Levine at the Ritz All Dayer circa 1978.

in less than 120 seconds of madness I sold him

Don Gardner - Cheatin' Kind £3.00 (cleared the floor in my spot)

Inspirations - No One Else Can Take Your Place - Breakthrough £20.00

Utopias - LaSalle £15.00

and then i swapped Bernie Williams - Ever Again for Andre Gagon's "Wow" cause he had no more money on him.

He obvously felt he was "done over" cause the next deal he proposed to me, was over 20 years later..."did i want to buy some "one-off rarities" ?

Which were the...4 Vandalls, Jeanne & The Valamonts, and David Rhodes

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

and then i swapped Bernie Williams - Ever Again for Andre Gagon's "Wow" cause he had no more money on him.

...not quite sure who ended up with Andre Gagnon and who got Bernie, John, but I've got a nice mint (played once) UK Decca demo of "Wow" that's been sitting on the shelf gathering dust for nearly 30 years, if you want to swap another one for, say, John and the Wierdest :wicked::wicked::P

TONY

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Yes Sir, I believe that was me.... and if you recall, I actually only sold you the 20 year lease on it (for the measley £15).... which, as it happens, expires any time now.

I'll pm you my address.

Please pack it well.

Cheers

Sean

:wicked:

If it helps at all, selling this record hurt more than any other I have had to sell. I couldnt talk to my girlfriend for days, for fear of snapping her head off. And I got over £500 for it.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest trickbag

hi charlie

yea was me have to say,sorry days those were for me,

sold all my blues/soul black/music the beat

soul survivor plus other mags,few books, badges,

any thing related to the music,held a few things back,

three times in maysfield trying to flog it all,couldnt do it again.

maybe see you in bedford st on the 8th sunday 3 till 10

wont be their on sat.

ricky.

sock it to em shorty.

Social source share

:yes: ZUU ZUU BLUES BAND - ZUU ZUU MAN £30.00 last year :lol: at least it went to the best home i know of for soul records in Ashby

I did it for $12 Jan. this year wacko.gif

Social source share

Ellipsis - People (Briarmeade) about 18 months ago to a well know record bully. Couldn't turn down the offer but miss it now...and the money :lol::yes:wacko.gif

i'd say it was more like 2 years ago now jason, my doesnt time fly biggrin.gif

Social source share

I sold Little tommy baby cant you see for £60 :huh: to Rudizt

Easy come easy go eh Ted - i remember you having a right result with a certain detroit collection at the time...

I sold loads of stuff cheap at the time (who didn't) i reckon my best cheapo cheapo sale must have been NATHAN WILLIAMS "What Price" on Lime for wait for it a TENNER :shades:

to Trev from northampton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!