Oscar Perry - Face Reality. How Rare?

Gene-R

• Replies 56
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Erm.....yes Pete. It was...erm...um....me who won the bidding for the "shit record"! :yes:

Pretty hard to find - only ever seen a couple (including the one on ebay) would say £500 plus easily. I'll have a look in guide books later, but think Tim Brown rates it at £750.

Great record IMO :lol:

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Wasn't there one on a set sale list recently...250 quid??

I bet that went incredibly quickly then.

I had one for sale for a friend this time last year. It went for more than 3 times that, and had at least 8 people trying to buy it. The only track more popular on the list was Purple Mundi, which had the buyers going mad to get.

I even recieved an email asking if the OP was still for sale a couple of months ago.

Superb record :yes::lol:

Social source share

I bet that went incredibly quickly then.

I had one for sale for a friend this time last year. It went for more than 3 times that, and had at least 8 people trying to buy it. The only track more popular on the list was Purple Mundi, which had the buyers going mad to get.

I even recieved an email asking if the OP was still for sale a couple of months ago.

Superb record :yes::lol:

Thanks Mikey! I don't feel too bad now, having paid £209 including P&P.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Tim's wrong in his price guide on this one. Damn rare record. And as usual most records that Pete Smith thinks are shite are usually very very good and massively in demand by lovers of good dance records. :yes:

Two copies on ebay recently, one just over $1000 and the latest one which was won at a VERY cheap price IMO.

I think the reason for the last one going 'cheap' (and the first one was arguably cheap as well)was because it is pretty unknown, as in it's hardly played out in clubs because hardly anyone has it.

Quality funk, brilliant northern :lol:

Social source share

Thanks Mikey! I don't feel too bad now, having paid £209 including P&P.

An absolute steal at that price - didn't watch it as assumed it would go for over £400 even on the often unpredictable Ebay.

Social source share

I think the reason for the last one going 'cheap' (and the first one was arguably cheap as well)was because it is pretty unknown, as in it's hardly played out in clubs because hardly anyone has it.

Quality funk, brilliant northern :lol:

Yes, I expect that is the case - had some exposure at Stafford (covered as Fenton Robinson?)

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Yes, I expect that is the case - had some exposure at Stafford (covered as Fenton Robinson?)

Keb played it, so he told me. But I'm far too young to have been there. blush.gif:D

I've not heard it played out personally though. I was gutted seeing how cheap that last one went for, I had an $800 or $900 snipe on the first one on ebay to try and get a bargain, but i forgot to put on on this one. The winner was very lucky IMO, well done :thumbsup:

Social source share

It's probably pretty unknown to you because you know f*ck all, but it was played in the early 80's, then the late 80's, it was shit then, it's shit now, thats why it didn't go big.

Social source share

It's probably pretty unknown to you because you know f*ck all, but it was played in the early 80's, then the late 80's, it was shit then, it's shit now, thats why it didn't go big.

Gotta disagree with you on this one Pete....fooking brilliant record....

But need an oxygen tent after dancing to it these days.... blush.gif

Mick H played it for me at the last Rugby and the doorman asked if I was alright when I went to sit back down.... :thumbsup:

Edited by Rugby Soul Club
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The thing with you Pete is that you consistantly display a total lack of taste or feel for what makes a good dance track so no one takes a blind bit of notice to what you've got to say about records. blush.gif

And jsut because you heard it played in Burnley Working Men's club in 1983 and then again at the Doncaster Miners Reunion held and the Stirlington Village hall in 1987 does not mean that it is "well known" today.

And since when has "being good" been a prerequisit for a record to "go big" on the northern soul scene in the 80s? You really are a funny character Pete and aparantly a little bit dim as well as tastless :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

They must have been f*cking mad wanting to buy that rubbish! Add this one to the all time worst list.

Purple Mundi is not my mug of rosie either mate. I think it was James' mates after the other side. Its pretty big on the funk scene allegedly.

I have a tape of Keb playing OP at the 2 1/2 anniversary. Well I say I do, I havent been able to find it in ages. But for some reason I associate it with Gary Rushbrooke, upstairs.

Was played at the Dome, but then they did have clued up residents :thumbsup:

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

The thing with you Pete is that you consistantly display a total lack of taste or feel for what makes a good dance track so no one takes a blind bit of notice to what you've got to say about records. blush.gif

And jsut because you heard it played in Burnley Working Men's club in 1983 and then again at the Doncaster Minors Reunion held and the Stirlington Village hall in 1987 does not mean that it is "well known" today.

And since when has "being good" been a prerequisit for a record to "go big" on the northern soul scene in the 80s? You really are a funny character Pete and aparantly a little bit dim as well as tastless :thumbsup:

And you're just a flash c*nt who thinks he knows everything. Do the time, show some respect to your elders and betters instead of just buying your way in.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Irish Greg played it a couple of times?

Yep.

One time he played it quite early in the night. To my horror I was the only one dancing to it. 3/4s of the way through, with lungs on fire, and knees crying enough, I realised that I was alone, and I couldnt give up. I dont know how I made it to the end, but I do remember Carrots saying she was standing by with an oxygen mask in case I fainted. blush.gif

I think I went home early that night :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

And you're just a flash c*nt who thinks he knows everything. Do the time, show some respect to your elders and betters instead of just buying your way in.

And again you display the attributes of a dim man.

Obviously you are not the sharpest tool in the box, but these comments really are very, very stupid. :thumbsup:

Are you suggesting that I should respect you because you are older than me and that makes your comments hold more water? How does making comments like "it's shit" make you a 'better'.

And what does "buying your way in" mean? What am I ment to be 'buying into'? Are you saying that collecting and trading rare soul records for over 10 years is an easy way to build a collection? I'm a bit confused by this comment? You seem to be quite a bizaar man Pete and I feel a littel sorry for you to be honest but I'm more than happy to go toe to toe with you on here to brighten up a dull Tuesday afternoon if the moderators don't mind?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Yep.

One time he played it quite early in the night. To my horror I was the only one dancing to it. 3/4s of the way through, with lungs on fire, and knees crying enough, I realised that I was alone, and I couldnt give up. I dont know how I made it to the end, but I do remember Carrots saying she was standing by with an oxygen mask in case I fainted. blush.gif

I think I went home early that night :thumbsup:

:D

Social source share

Keb played it, so he told me. But I'm far too young to have been there. :lol::D

I've not heard it played out personally though. I was gutted seeing how cheap that last one went for, I had an $800 or $900 snipe on the first one on ebay to try and get a bargain, but i forgot to put on on this one. The winner was very lucky IMO, well done :thumbsup:

Thanks James! blush.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

You seem to be quite a bizaar man Pete

James, over the last couple of years I have watched with interest as you have gradually got slightly closer to the spelling of that word, having started off with "bazaar" which I recall is some kind of church fete where they sell white elephants (probably for the ivory). But I can't stand it anymore. The word is spelt "Bizarre". Yes, Pete is bizarre, we all are on this site. blush.gif Now please write it out one hundred times.

And where the hell were you when Oscar Perry got hammered by McOirish amongst many other things? Jigging about to tedious third rate funk records with the other seven people who make up the members of the funk scene who actually leave their homes no doubt. :thumbsup:

Nice one Gene, you got a good price there, think it is sensibly at least about £400-500. isn't the flip quite pleasant as well? I turned down a copy at £700, thought that was a bit much but may have been wrong (as usual).

Social source share

Nice one Gene, you got a good price there, think it is sensibly at least about £400-500. isn't the flip quite pleasant as well? I turned down a copy at £700, thought that was a bit much but may have been wrong (as usual).

Cheers Stu! Another one to play at SHS on 20th October...........now I just hope it arrives safely! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James, over the last couple of years I have watched with interest as you have gradually got slightly closer to the spelling of that word, having started off with "bazaar" which I recall is some kind of church fete where they sell white elephants (probably for the ivory). But I can't stand it anymore. The word is spelt "Bizarre". Yes, Pete is bizarre, we all are on this site. :D Now please write it out one hundred times.

And where the hell were you when Oscar Perry got hammered by McOirish amongst many other things? Jigging about to tedious third rate funk records with the other seven people who make up the members of the funk scene who actually leave their homes no doubt. blush.gif

I have some dyslexia, so I have an excuse. However, there is no excuse for bad taste and stupidity . I can mipslel wodrs and you wlil slitl unterndasd what I am siyang, but terhe is no unanersdidtng Pete Smith.

Who's McOirish? :lol::thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

................................................................................

didnt go big ??? it was one of kebs biggest sounds at stafford / 100 club circa 84/85

Social source share

Keb played it, so he told me. But I'm far too young to have been there. :thumbsup:blush.gif

Lucky you! For some reason I've always associated it with Oscar Wright - Fell In Love (another great record) - so they must've been first played at the same time at Stafford

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

James, over the last couple of years I have watched with interest as you have gradually got slightly closer to the spelling of that word, having started off with "bazaar" which I recall is some kind of church fete where they sell white elephants (probably for the ivory). But I can't stand it anymore. The word is spelt "Bizarre". Yes, Pete is bizarre, we all are on this site. :lol: Now please write it out one hundred times.

And where the hell were you when Oscar Perry got hammered by McOirish amongst many other things? Jigging about to tedious third rate funk records with the other seven people who make up the members of the funk scene who actually leave their homes no doubt. :D

What about the Doncaster "Minors" Reunion then Stuart. Were they still minors in 1983 ? If so, they could never have worked "down t' pit "

Not a bad record though. £500 tops blush.gif

I have some dyslexia, so I have an excuse. However, there is no excuse for bad taste and stupidity . I can mipslel wodrs and you wlil slitl unterndasd what I am siyang, but terhe is no unanersdidtng Pete Smith.

Who's McOirish? :lol::D

It always amazes me that people with dyslexia can actually spell it. Its a mysteron to me :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Who's McOirish? :Dblush.gif

Gregory Mcoirish, you know the geezer. How come people who claim to have dyslexia can always spell dyslexia? One of life's great mysteries that one. :thumbsup: I dread to think what Kenny is suffering from.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

What about the Doncaster "Minors" Reunion then Stuart. Were they still minors in 1983 ? If so, they could never have worked "down t' pit "

It always amazes me that people with dyslexia can actually spell it. Its a mysteron to me :thumbsup:

LOL great minds think alike. Rumour had it that the Donny Minors closed down when Thatcher snatched their milk. That was probably before the days when the do gooders stopped children doing a proper days work for their keep, hardly anyone uses their chimneys round where I live nowadays, I blame that on the interfering busybodies too.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Oi, you lot, keep on topic and stop slagging each other off or it'll be off to bed early with no supper for the lot of you :thumbsup:

:D aw but he started it. Anyway, talking about records all the time is soooo boring. blush.gif And James smells funny too. :lol:

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

Keb played it, so he told me. But I'm far too young to have been there. blush.gif:D

I remember steve phyllis from Nottingham playing this 83-84, around early stafford, not sure but i think steve might have been first too play it.

Social source share

Gregory Mcoirish, you know the geezer. How come people who claim to have dyslexia can always spell dyslexia? One of life's great mysteries that one. :thumbsup: I dread to think what Kenny is suffering from.

Scares me too!! blush.gif

Social source share

Don't ever recall seeing this on sale. I would imagine it to be genuinely rare - any idea on current price tag?
Got mine off Col Alderson 1977,£6,he got ot off frank dewhirst,who'd tried it at wigan a couple of times to no effect,think Guy was the first to play it at stafford,think i swapped mine to ion :thumbsup:
Social source share

Oi, you lot, keep on topic and stop slagging each other off or it'll be off to bed early with no supper for the lot of you :thumbsup:

Aw Rachel,

Just read this & was about to get my new shiny moderators stick out & rap some knuckles but you beat me to it.

Never mind, i'm sure i won't have too long to wait wicked.gif

Probably showing my ignorance here but i don't know this.

Love Oscar's late 70s stuff like Wind Me Up, Let Me Do It etc.

When was it made?

Soundclip anybody?

Mart...

Social source share

Aw Rachel,

Just read this & was about to get my new shiny moderators stick out & rap some knuckles but you beat me to it.

Never mind, i'm sure i won't have too long to wait :thumbsup:

Probably showing my ignorance here but i don't know this.

Love Oscar's late 70s stuff like Wind Me Up, Let Me Do It etc.

When was it made?

Soundclip anybody?

Mart...

here are Mart

first one of 12

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/rare-...to.php?lid=9748

Social source share

And again you display the attributes of a dim man.

Obviously you are not the sharpest tool in the box, but these comments really are very, very stupid. :thumbsup:

Are you suggesting that I should respect you because you are older than me and that makes your comments hold more water? How does making comments like "it's shit" make you a 'better'.

And what does "buying your way in" mean? What am I ment to be 'buying into'? Are you saying that collecting and trading rare soul records for over 10 years is an easy way to build a collection? I'm a bit confused by this comment? You seem to be quite a bizaar man Pete and I feel a littel sorry for you to be honest but I'm more than happy to go toe to toe with you on here to brighten up a dull Tuesday afternoon if the moderators don't mind?

I wasn't referring to me. I was referring to everyone you try to belittle on here. 10 years, ooh, big deal, out of those 10 how many were spent buying northern? Just having buying power doesn't make you king of the northern scene.

My problem with you comes from the time I bought a record off you on ebay and you neglected to send it me or have any correspondence off me despite having been paid for it and I had to open a paypal case to get my money back. No doubt you will 'not remember' this. The record was Living Color.

Sadly I wasn't able to continue this spat earlier and now the momentum's gone but I'll see you in freebasing if you like. But it's not important.

p.s.I'm dim am I. But able to spell.

Social source share

Don't ever recall seeing this on sale. I would imagine it to be genuinely rare - any idea on current price tag?

Hi,slightly off your original post........ :)

Hows about Oscar Perry--Big Sam--Lock-Key.....Arranged and penned by the Great man himself?

Was this his first released tune? Out of Houston Texas..........ATB Stevie z

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!