Just ask me - inst - old time stomper

37 minutes ago, Dayo said:

Wasn't there also a British-made cover of this song?  Came out around '73. I can't remember who did it, but if I remember correctly, the flip side was a quite good mid-tempo swinger.....

Margie Miller released it on UK Route in 1975 as the B-side to "Rock & Roll Waltz", a cover version of the Kay Starr classic.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dayo said:

Wasn't there also a British-made cover of this song?  Came out around '73. I can't remember who did it, but if I remember correctly, the flip side was a quite good mid-tempo swinger.....

Was it Etta Thomas?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Etta Thomas came out on Santa Ponsa. The other side was 99 ways, not a bad poppy track. Just to confuse matters, 99 Ways also came out as by Judy Gee & the Classmates on Route. Same recording I believe.

Paul

Edited by Paul r
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

46 minutes ago, NEILO said:

Was it Etta Thomas?

That's the one.  Haven't heard it in decades, but I remember it was weak and poppy compared to the Torch monster.

56 minutes ago, Paul r said:

Etta Thomas came out on Santa Ponsa. The other side was 99 ways, not a bad poppy track. Just to confuse matters, 99 Ways also came out as by Judy Gee & the Classmates on Route. Same recording I believe.

Paul

Weird, weird.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Back in the day I always thought that the Elsie Strong was a Selectadisc Boot as it appeared in quantity at the height of the Lenis Guess popularity.

But later learned that it was a proper job.

Does anyone still play either version out anywhere?

It was certainly a MASSIVE indemander at one time.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!