Do You Play Your Vinyl

I've heard foul and ugly tales of vinyl collectors never playing their god given gifts, instead preferring to record them onto some inferior format, and then incredulously being happy to hide their angelic 45's away in some stinking foul closet inhabited only by loathsome toads and black watch beetles. I am a proud rare soul vinyl collector of over 25 years and would never for one minute ever fall foul to such ugly and savage behaviour, I find this sacrilegious and the work of heinous devils.

For me the vinyl record is a living being, its physical appearance is borne from the delightful artwork of the label, while the deep grooves of the raven black surface represent the veins and arteries, the stylus of the tone arm is its heart and the speakers it's voice. Like any living creature it will not live forever and even after years of playing it then becomes distorted as if been struck down with some god awful illness, then so be it........I embrace all it's qualities, it's flaws and most of all, the love it brings and gives..............................Which are you.............?

I don't advocate alcohol, drugs and violence..but they always worked for me...........

Edited by Brett
Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Records are for holding close to the breast, oh and playing..... just wish I could play mine more often. Its a tricky business when you have little 'uns that like to get a bit TOO close to the decks and the piles of vinyl....

Oh and when they're in bed we have to keep the volume to a reasonable level so as not to wake them

Social source share

I can see no point in spending good hard earned money on records only to store them away and never see the light of day, if your just gonna convert them to a digital format of some kind you might as well sell once youve done it, they were made to be played so play em No mater what its worth Just look after them, :)

Social source share

I've heard foul and ugly tales of vinyl collectors never playing their god given gifts, instead preferring to record them onto some inferior format, and then incredulously being happy to hide their angelic 45's away in some stinking foul closet inhabited only by loathsome toads and black watch beetles. I am a proud rare soul vinyl collector of over 25 years and would never for one minute ever fall foul to such ugly and savage behaviour, I find this sacrilegious and the work of heinous devils.

For me the vinyl record is a living being, its physical appearance is borne from the delightful artwork of the label, while the deep grooves of the raven black surface represent the veins and arteries, the stylus of the tone arm is its heart and the speakers it's voice. Like any living creature it will not live forever and even after years of playing it then becomes distorted as if been struck down with some god awful illness, then so be it........I embrace all it's qualities, it's flaws and most of all, the love it brings and gives..............................Which are you.............?

I don't advocate alcohol, drugs and violence..but they always worked for me...........

Hi Brett,great to read a thread I concur with....saves me from litigation!

I have a couple of tunes I would like that ,probably ,could not be played ,at most,if not all venues,that are on 78 only.

I only play from originals as we both do..........SO cutting a 45 and playing it out whilst having the 78,to me would be ok.......?ATB Stevie

Social source share

Hi Brett,great to read a thread I concur with....saves me from litigation!

I have a couple of tunes I would like that ,probably ,could not be played ,at most,if not all venues,that are on 78 only.

I only play from originals as we both do..........SO cutting a 45 and playing it out whilst having the 78,to me would be ok.......?ATB Stevie

Could always take one of these with you Steve :)

images.jpg(post-3218-1159299620.jpg

Social source share

wots the point of havin records if u dont play them?? :yes: ...u gotta hug them...cooo over them...clean them...double sleeve em...and if yer anyfink like my better half they have to be all the same way up in alphanumerical order :yes: ...cant find a blitherin thing after hes been in me box ...ooh er :)

play the damn things its wot they were invented for :fool:

cookie :lol:

Social source share

Play 'em! Some of the best nights I've had have been a few of us getting together round at mates or round at mine all of us with boxes of tunes fighting to get on the decks. Even some of BB's records are ok....! :yes::lol::)

Social source share

I love playing records but its a rare occurence nowadays. In the past it was fantastic when i'd buy a collection or some stock from someplace. I'd spin everything briefly to get an idea of how each sounded. Then i'd put all them into some kind of order and audio cassette them. After the tape was done i'd pull the best for further plays as and when. A recenct post here asked about the Mike Shane Love Bug on SS7. This rec was played so often its a wonder i didnt wear it out. During the mid 90s i used to play about 50 recs on a regular basis, my favourite sounds at the time. It didnt matter to me whether they were known or not, just that i liked to hear them. In the Y2K on era, that continued but with a much smaller selection and less often, but the recs i spin in my home nowadays includes the following that i still love. :)

Jay.J.Jones I dont know about you V-Tone which has the same backing as the Butlers.

Gary Edwards & the Embers-Sherry My Love-Fraternity

Larry Henley-I'd be a-lyin Hickory (as good as any Newbeats he sung with)

Paul Real-Reason To Believe-Her-Man (better than Janice Weaver or any other version.)

Sheppards-Walkin-Okeh (how this never got niter action is beyond me)

The BEAS-International girl-Chattahoochie (too poppy for some,but what a stomper)

Lee Greenwood Affair-Think It over-Dot. ( White power stormer that just kills me)

the Jades-Flower Power-Uni. ( stomp,stomp,stomp,stomp, white, but again.so what?)

James Gang-What about hurting-BBC (a 1-time 1-off but i seen it listed since, this copy came from somebody who couldnt get any action with it due to rarity, but what a stomper;

it gives me the required goosepimples and has been a favourite since the very early 80s)

Richard Domar

Social source share

Bit of a nightmare in the Car though Brett!

Wouldn't go out of the door without my home spun CD compilations.

Got to agree with you though, that indoors, dear old vinyl is the Daddy!

Sean

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

well i play my vinyl records at odd times but to record them or have them on CD is also better because time spent on a computer or doing something else means you can stick the CD on and play it without having to keep changing it.

How would you expect to sit here at say 11.00pm or 11.00am on a computer with a vinyl record player and a box of say 45's and have to keep changing when one is finished. or even an LP which can be like 6 songs per side but still a CD can hold up to say 25 songs

Social source share

Play 'em all the time. Although I burn a few onto disc for the car/mates etc, there's nothing better than her indoors buggering off out somewhere, cracking a case of something open and bending the speakers a bit.

Even now whilst I'm waiting for my lift I always stick a few on - Manny Laskey's 'Sweet Lies' and prob follow it with Lill Duprees 'I've got a shield' (although Jimmy Gilstrap's 'Love Game's' is winking at me. :)

Filing and storing is akin to book-burning heresy.

Social source share

It's always worth burning a copy of your acetates though :) I've watched and weeped as the sound quality has deteriorated on a few of my early purchases right in front of my eyes

Social source share

It's always worth burning a copy of your acetates though :) I've watched and weeped as the sound quality has deteriorated on a few of my early purchases right in front of my eyes

Hi All

I love to play the Vinyl when I can. I used to have the Twin Decks etc - Mono in those days which always had plenty of Bass.

Now I tend to play through a Deck coupled to my computer sound card.

If I am playing MP3's which I do for convenience most of the time, I use a program called TPLAYER which is a bit of Freeware that I stumbled upon.

It operates very much like the Twin Decks but with MP3's https://pages.videotron.com/tplayer/

It searches the computer for all MP3's and lists them. You can play, cue next track and fade across to the other track, set playlists, or just let it play automatically.

You can even change the pitch + or -

Oh and I know I've already mentioned this, It's free.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Play the bit of black vinyl for godsake... or don't bother collecting.. no point covering with a card board sleeve and boxed... Admire (label), listen (vinyl) n enjoy (sound)... on a regular basis... that's what I do anyway's.. :thumbsup:

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

There aint a day gone by that i have`nt at least played a few of me records just to keep that smile on me face and satisfaction of knowing why i bought them in the first place.

Social source share

Really can't understand how anyone could want to buy a record & not play it, but i suppose each to his own.

Something else i would like to say, is, i never used to belive the HiFi buffs who advacated that vinyl was better than CD. But i am a beliver now !, since i added a decent deck to my system i have noticed it really is a different sound ! If you play a clean copy of a vinyl record & then a CD of the same track the difference is astounding, vinyl wins every time !!!

Social source share

For me the vinyl record is a living being, its physical appearance is borne from the delightful artwork of the label, while the deep grooves of the raven black surface represent the veins and arteries, the stylus of the tone arm is its heart and the speakers it's voice. Like any living creature it will not live forever and even after years of playing it then becomes distorted as if been struck down with some god awful illness, then so be it........I embrace all it's qualities, it's flaws and most of all, the love it brings and gives

well said sir, couldn't have put it better myself.... :wicked:

Social source share

I GET MINE OUT EVERY MORNING AND GIVE THEM A GOOD POLISH THEN PLAY WITH THEM...SORRY THAT'S PLAY THEM !!!!!!!! N'ER A DAY PASSES WHEN I'M NOT FIDDLING WITH ME WAX BEHIND DRAWN CURTAINS...THERE MINE ALL MINE !!!!!!!!!!!

DJ 'DEAD-WAX' OR IS THAT 'DREAD-WAX' IRE !!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by bearsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!