Simon T profile photo

Switching Utility a*seheads?

Freebasing Simon T

Posted

Anybody had a good experience of switching utility companies? Any recomendations? Anyone experiencing problems with EON or are they all a bunch of a*seheads?

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted
36 minutes ago, simon t said:

Anybody had a good experience of switching utility companies? Any recomendations? Anyone experiencing problems with EON or are they all a bunch of a*seheads?

Hi Simon

Quite a few local authorities are running big utility switching programmes - check out your county or borough council. I've been involved in Leicestershire from a work point of view.

Peter

:thumbsup:

soul source url
Posted

Here's a link to a presentation which has more info - if it works

.switching.pptx

soul source url
Posted

I switched to First utility about 2 years ago with no problem at all. It went very smoothly.

I'm now in the process of looking to change. I'll let you know if I have problems!

soul source url
Posted

We did the Greater Manchester Collective Energy Switching thing a couple of years back and the winning provider has renewed the deal each year since. I'm very happy with the outcome.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

I've had no problems at all switching and I do it quite often.  If you use a website that compares for you then they now have a disclaimer that says they don't show you all the companies.  They give you an option to see the others too - sometimes much cheaper.  HOWEVER, if you want to stay with the big names jot down the best quotes and go onto quidco.com or one of the other sites that gives you cashback and type in fuel - sometimes you can get quite a bit of cashback on top of the best quotes!!  :thumbup:

soul source url
Posted

My current contract is up at the end of March and I'll be definitely switching from Sainsbury's Energy as their standard tariff is a lot dearer and the only other option they've quoted is for a fixed rate to June 2018, which is more expensive than the one year fixed rate I'm currently on, despite wholesale energy prices taking a nosedive.  Been on uSwitch, and my best two options with regards to price are Flow Energy, or Co-op Energy, each saving about £600 a year on Sainsbury's standard tariff, and £200 cheaper than my current deal.  Never heard of Flow, so tempted to go with the Co-op.  Has anybody dealt with them?  What I like about them is that they're UK owned, with no shareholders as it's owned by their members according to the blurb on their website.  What I don't like is some of the negative reviews I've been reading online about poor customer service.  Any other recommendations?

soul source url
Posted

Almost a year on, and I'm shopping around for a new supplier as I decided to go with nPower last year and they've just announced exorbitant price increases, which I want to avoid once my fixed deal ends.  The comparison websites reckon IRESA is my cheapest option, although I'll still be paying about £200 a year more.  The online reviews for IRESA are pretty mixed, ranging from excellent to shocking.  As they're new to the market I think they initially underestimated the amount of customers wanted to switch over to them, and had to close to new customers for a time while they recruited more staff.  Anybody have any experience of this company, or any other recommendations?   I'm tempted to give them a go as there's no exit fee should they turn out to be crap.

soul source url
Posted
29 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

Almost a year on, and I'm shopping around for a new supplier as I decided to go with nPower last year and they've just announced exorbitant price increases, which I want to avoid once my fixed deal ends.  The comparison websites reckon IRESA is my cheapest option, although I'll still be paying about £200 a year more.  The online reviews for IRESA are pretty mixed, ranging from excellent to shocking.  As they're new to the market I think they initially underestimated the amount of customers wanted to switch over to them, and had to close to new customers for a time while they recruited more staff.  Anybody have any experience of this company, or any other recommendations?   I'm tempted to give them a go as there's no exit fee should they turn out to be crap.

Is that £200 more than what you are currently paying or £200 more than what your new bill with Npower will be? I just got my NPower increase letter through today and I've been spending the last couple of hours looking at alternatives. I too was looking at Iresa which would give me an annual  saving of £220 against the new Npower rates but like you I have reservations about their Customer Service.

What I have learned through looking at the websites is that I will review this once a year - I dread to think how much money I've wasted by sticking with NPower for the last 7 years - and as I'm now retired I can't afford to be so blasé about it.

soul source url
Posted

Just stay away from Big6 especially e.on and npower in particular.  I would also avoid to tiniest such as iressa and Avro.  Lots of options now.  Definitely not all old school.  I will not say more on particular choices as our comany operates switching for most of the newer companies and did millions last year first time through for the customer with no intervention.

soul source url
Posted

Flow Energy are good, Ipswich based, been around for years.  We work with them and Co-op that were mentioned.  I'd avoid the tiny companies at the lowest price on comparison sites.  PM me if I can help.

soul source url
Posted

Saintsbury's is just a white label of British Gas, absolutely no difference.  Just badged as Saintsbury's.

soul source url
Posted
1 minute ago, gointoagogo said:

Is that £200 more than what you are currently paying or £200 more than what your new bill with Npower will be? I just got my NPower increase letter through today and I've been spending the last couple of hours looking at alternatives. I too was looking at Iresa which would give me an annual  saving of £220 against the new Npower rates but like you I have reservations about their Customer Service.

What I have learned through looking at the websites is that I will review this once a year - I dread to think how much money I've wasted by sticking with NPower for the last 7 years - and as I'm now retired I can't afford to be so blasé about it.

That's £200 more than my current fixed deal with nPower.  I would save over £600 compared to what I would pay if I just rolled over to nPower's standard tariff, but this takes into account the ten weeks or so I have remaining on my current tariff before being switched over.  I do a comparison every year, and always shop around for car insurance etc instead of just accepting my renewal.  Just switched from Sky to Plusnet for my broadband and Vodafone to Plusnet for my mobile.  I also use cashback sites whenever possible.  I've had about £1300 from Top Cashback for online purchases I would be making anyway, only difference is I log onto their site first and then follow the link to the retailer.  I bought Landlord Insurance for £109 from Direct Line, and received £85 cashback, so it's actually cost me £24.  

soul source url
Posted

Some good tips there thanks Steve. Up until 2 years ago my Car Insurance always went through a broker so god knows how much I've thrown away. It's so easy to stay with same supplier/provider/bank etc just because it's less hassle but it's much easier nowadays to change so I'll deffo shop around in future. My reluctance to use cash back sites is due to a fear that I'll get inundated with junk mail - I get enough already! Does this happen in reality?

soul source url
Posted
5 minutes ago, gointoagogo said:

Some good tips there thanks Steve. Up until 2 years ago my Car Insurance always went through a broker so god knows how much I've thrown away. It's so easy to stay with same supplier/provider/bank etc just because it's less hassle but it's much easier nowadays to change so I'll deffo shop around in future. My reluctance to use cash back sites is due to a fear that I'll get inundated with junk mail - I get enough already! Does this happen in reality?

Don't think so.  With every man and his dog selling your data it is hard to say where all the junk mail originates from.  A lot of government departments are probably the worst culprits.

soul source url
Posted

Still looking for a new energy supplier, and I came across Bulb.  They supply green energy, have no exit fees, will pay your exit fees from your current supplier, have UK based support staff and most importantly, get some good online reviews.  They're also pretty cheap, and don't mess about with dozens of different tariffs.  Just one simple tariff for gas and electricity.  Anybody use them?

soul source url
Posted

Bulb are a small recent entrant to the sector, seem good in approach.  Not used them and not had anyone mention experience good or bad back to me yet in the sector.

soul source url
Posted
4 minutes ago, ThinkSmart said:

Bulb are a small recent entrant to the sector, seem good in approach.  Not used them and not had anyone mention experience good or bad back to me yet in the sector.

I don't think they feature in any of the comparison websites yet.  I actually rang their helpline number to ask a couple of questions and they answered within about 20 seconds, British voice on the other end of the phone, and very helpful.  The fact that they only have one tariff for all their domestic customers makes things very simple.  Their website is easy to use,  The customer reviews on Trustpilot were all very positive.  Very tempted to give them a go.

soul source url
Posted

Similar to them with a comparable ethos are Affect Energy, So Energy, Breeze,Energy Fischer Energy - all British founded small companies, all service in the UK, try to be direct.

A fair number of the smaller newer companies are trying to build direct brands rather than just price comparison based over time (similar to insurance market).

soul source url
Posted
On 2/27/2017 at 12:56, Steve S 60 said:

Still looking for a new energy supplier, and I came across Bulb.  They supply green energy, have no exit fees, will pay your exit fees from your current supplier, have UK based support staff and most importantly, get some good online reviews.  They're also pretty cheap, and don't mess about with dozens of different tariffs.  Just one simple tariff for gas and electricity.  Anybody use them?

Been with Bulb now for about  month, and just had an email saying that they're dropping their prices by 7.5% because of the lower wholesale price of gas and electric.  Because I'm on a variable tariff I'll be saving straight away.  So far I have no complaints.  Smooth switch over from nPower, plenty of communication telling me what is happening, and now a price drop when all the other suppliers are increasing their prices.

soul source url
Posted

Give OVO a try and I don't mean vinyl lol

soul source url
Posted

Just had an email from Bulb Energy announcing a drop in their standing charge for both gas and electricity.  That's the second price drop this year when the big six have all increased their prices.

soul source url
Posted

Bulb are good. Just signed them up as a client. Seem very switched on (so to speak).

soul source url
Posted

Just In the process of helping my aunty switch from eon to Bulb energy, and saving her a lot of money in doing so.  She recently received a letter from eon telling her they were ending her current Economy 7 tariff and the new tariff would mean an increase of over £300 a year.  Bulb only have one tariff, and it's even cheaper than the one that eon are getting rid of.  They are also giving both my aunty and me £50 each as part of their friends referral scheme.  If anybody out there is thinking of switching, I would check them out.

soul source url
Posted
11 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Just In the process of helping my aunty switch from eon to Bulb energy, and saving her a lot of money in doing so.  She recently received a letter from eon telling her they were ending her current Economy 7 tariff and the new tariff would mean an increase of over £300 a year.  Bulb only have one tariff, and it's even cheaper than the one that eon are getting rid of.  They are also giving both my aunty and me £50 each as part of their friends referral scheme.  If anybody out there is thinking of switching, I would check them out.

Switching seems to be the big thing at the moment and just been looking on here and MSE and the Cheap Energy Club. Some good reviews on Bulb and according to the CEC I can save about £300 per year. I'm with Utility Warehouse (a good few years) and never really looked at changing, stuck in a rut. A sticking point is the variable rate rather than a fixed one, might take some getting used to. Need to sort my car insurance out this next month as well :unsure:

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, soulandy said:

Switching seems to be the big thing at the moment and just been looking on here and MSE and the Cheap Energy Club. Some good reviews on Bulb and according to the CEC I can save about £300 per year. I'm with Utility Warehouse (a good few years) and never really looked at changing, stuck in a rut. A sticking point is the variable rate rather than a fixed one, might take some getting used to. Need to sort my car insurance out this next month as well :unsure:

I would give them a go, as you're not tied in to a long term contract and they don't charge exit fees, and will even pay any exit fees from your current supplier.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
On 8/6/2017 at 22:09, Steve S 60 said:

I would give them a go, as you're not tied in to a long term contract and they don't charge exit fees, and will even pay any exit fees from your current supplier.

If you have a referral link it could be worth £50 for us :thumbsup:

soul source url
Posted

Nice to see the regulator coming down hard on British Gas after they were caught overcharging customers when they switched to another supplier.

soul source url
Posted

It annoys the hell out of me that we need to mess about switching - You should get the best / fairest price for being a regular customer.

More often than not, it's low income families that pay the most (maybe on meters) Over complicated bills, almost impossible to speak to someone to make sense of it all etc.

It's criminal.

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 4

soul source url
Posted
25 minutes ago, LEN said:

It annoys the hell out of me that we need to mess about switching - You should get the best / fairest price for being a regular customer.

More often than not, it's low income families that pay the most (maybe on meters) Over complicated bills, almost impossible to speak to someone to make sense of it all etc.

It's criminal.

One of the reasons why I'm with a supplier that only has one tariff for gas and electricity.  You know you're on their best deal.  Also, there's no long contract and no exit penalties.  Easy to contact them as well, longest I've had to wait is about two minutes.  Happy to recommend Bulb to anyone, been with them almost a year and no complaints.  Made a substantial saving compared to my previous supplier.

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
46 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

One of the reasons why I'm with a supplier that only has one tariff for gas and electricity.  You know you're on their best deal.  Also, there's no long contract and no exit penalties.  Easy to contact them as well, longest I've had to wait is about two minutes.  Happy to recommend Bulb to anyone, been with them almost a year and no complaints.  Made a substantial saving compared to my previous supplier.

Same here had no problems with Bulb in the 12 months I have been with them and it was an effortless change over from my last supplier.

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

My partner works for Utilities Warehouse , which can give you really great deals . And the more things you use with them the better the deals can be .

https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/

86B00D0B-5E88-4C2E-B0A9-E7C527D4BF44.png

soul source url
Posted
7 minutes ago, stevegods said:

My partner works for Utilities Warehouse , which can give you really great deals . And the more things you use with them the better the deals can be .

https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/

86B00D0B-5E88-4C2E-B0A9-E7C527D4BF44.png

Tell your partner that I liked her in The New Avengers and admire what she's done for the Gurkhas.

• Up vote 4

soul source url
Posted

I will Steve , when she gets back , but she’s popped out in the MG .. 

6E4832E8-F464-433B-9AE1-F684596E2BBE.jpeg

• Up vote 4

soul source url
Posted

I phoned up Bulb the other day and apparently I waited more than 5 minutes for someone to answer.  I didn't think it took that long, but they've just emailed me to apologise and credited my account with £10 for the inconvenience.  They've also said they're taking on more staff so it doesn't happen again.  They really are a breath of fresh air in these days of poor customer service.

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Hat sounds good -I’ve been using Peoples energy, I don’t know how they are on a 1/10 scale but they have slashed my npower bill in half. i used the website lower all my bills (LAMB) who are obliged to send you a cheaper deal if it occurs.

Edited by bonhsoulie

soul source url
Posted
On 19/10/2018 at 17:37, Steve S 60 said:

I phoned up Bulb the other day and apparently I waited more than 5 minutes for someone to answer.  I didn't think it took that long, but they've just emailed me to apologise and credited my account with £10 for the inconvenience.  They've also said they're taking on more staff so it doesn't happen again.  They really are a breath of fresh air in these days of poor customer service.

Apparently I was kept waiting for six minutes the other day so I've just received another £10 credit to my account.  Looks like they need even more staff.

soul source url
Posted
4 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Apparently I was kept waiting for six minutes the other day so I've just received another £10 credit to my account.  Looks like they need even more staff.

Slightly 'off-topic' this (Maybe I should flag this as another thread) But I was checking my bank account the other day, and saw that Amazon had taken out £7.99 when I hadn't bought anything. It turns out that I had pressed a free delivery that (unbeknownst to me) was attached to a free trial, that when it ends, it kicks in a £7.99 per month charge to join Amazon Prime.

I emailed them (and pointed it out on one of their surveys) saying I was unaware of doing so, and that I would like a full refund, and within half an hour someone came back to me, not only refunding last month's payment, but the last 6 month's payments from when it started.

Good customer service I grant you, but what a dodgy trick - I wonder how many people are regularly paying this £7.99 per month without realizing...

soul source url
Posted
2 minutes ago, LEN said:

Slightly 'off-topic' this (Maybe I should flag this as another thread) But I was checking my bank account the other day, and saw that Amazon had taken out £7.99 when I hadn't bought anything. It turns out that I had pressed a free delivery that (unbeknownst to me) was attached to a free trial, that when it ends, it kicks in a £7.99 per month charge to join Amazon Prime.

I emailed them (and pointed it out on one of their surveys) saying I was unaware of doing so, and that I would like a full refund, and within half an hour someone came back to me, not only refunding last month's payment, but the last 6 month's payments from when it started.

Good customer service I grant you, but what a dodgy trick - I wonder how many people are regularly paying this £7.99 per month without realizing...

Probably loads of people.  I'm actually happy to subscribe to Amazon Prime because I think it's good value, as the whole household benefits from it.  Plenty to watch on Prime Video and listen to on Amazon Music, and next day delivery is handy.  Also, the free lending library on Kindle is a bonus.  Normally get a few extra months free if they fail to deliver orders on time and I phone up and complain. 

soul source url
Posted

Make sure you avoid Smart Meters as they cause problems when swapping suppliers. All the energy companies are in it to drive prices up in true oligopolistic style. Thatcher’s mates got rich carving up public utilities amongst themselves. Life was better when the CEGB took care of our electricity needs. Nowadays, we depend on foreign power as we don’t generate enough to be self sufficient. Energy policy in the U.K. is a total shambles...we’ll be using wind-up record players in a few years time.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
16 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Probably loads of people.  I'm actually happy to subscribe to Amazon Prime because I think it's good value, as the whole household benefits from it.  Plenty to watch on Prime Video and listen to on Amazon Music, and next day delivery is handy.  Also, the free lending library on Kindle is a bonus.  Normally get a few extra months free if they fail to deliver orders on time and I phone up and complain. 

I completely agree, Amazon Prime is very good. But my wife has it for our household, so I didn't need it - I expect there's loads of 'free trial' type things out there that trick people in to small monthly payments.

Loads of people pay for everything with their bank cards nowadays, and I doubt they wade through their statements properly, so they don't notice these relatively small amounts coming out each month (I try to pay cash for everything as it's simpler to me)

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
15 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Make sure you avoid Smart Meters as they cause problems when swapping suppliers. All the energy companies are in it to drive prices up in true oligopolistic style. Thatcher’s mates got rich carving up public utilities amongst themselves. Life was better when the CEGB took care of our electricity needs. Nowadays, we depend on foreign power as we don’t generate enough to be self sufficient. Energy policy in the U.K. is a total shambles...we’ll be using wind-up record players in a few years time.

It's annoying isn't it? I was convinced (by them) that Smart Meters were, well smart, so now have one.

soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, LEN said:

I completely agree, Amazon Prime is very good. But my wife has it for our household, so I didn't need it - I expect there's loads of 'free trial' type things out there that trick people in to small monthly payments.

Loads of people pay for everything with their bank cards nowadays, and I doubt they wade through their statements properly, so they don't notice these relatively small amounts coming out each month (I try to pay cash for everything as it's simpler to me)

dunno if you are aware Len but you can now 'give' amazon prime to other family members - its all part of the cost/service

not sur eof full details, my wife makes use out of the free postage etc, maybe worth a look for ya

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, LEN said:

It's annoying isn't it? I was convinced (by them) that Smart Meters were, well smart, so now have one.

Not a very smart move Len 🤣

Will we be seeing you next week mate ? 

Steve 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

:D I know! I get so confused with utility bills - I'll be completely conned when I'm old.

I can't make next week as work's going bonkers at the minute - Have a goodun mate.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
On 16/05/2019 at 11:29, Steve S 60 said:

Maybe you should ring them a few more times every day 😉

soul source url
Posted
21 hours ago, LEN said:

Similar thing happened to me for their Kindle downloads after I purchased a Kindle for my wife Christmas '17 got to May before I realised. They refunded the money so not out of pocket but you do have to watch which buttons you press when completing a transaction. 🤓

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
29 minutes ago, Soulfusion said:

Maybe you should ring them a few more times every day 😉

Shouldn't have to ring them at all now.  Had to phone in my Aunt's meter readings as Bulb weren't geared up for Economy 7 readings on their website.  They've now added this so it's a quick minute on the internet once I've got her readings.  As an energy supplier they're a breath of fresh air.

soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Soulfusion said:

Similar thing happened to me for their Kindle downloads after I purchased a Kindle for my wife Christmas '17 got to May before I realised. They refunded the money so not out of pocket but you do have to watch which buttons you press when completing a transaction. 🤓

Another one! I've been paying BT £4.99 per month for PC Security, but my IT man says I don't need it as he takes care of all that business.

To be fair though, I expect some people need it - But they have just refunded 20 months worth credited to my next bill regardless.

I'm doing well this week :D

soul source url
Posted

Just had an email from my energy supplier (Bulb) informing me that they are starting to install smart meters in my area, and they've invited me to book an appointment.  These are second generation smart meters which can supposedly be read by any supplier.  Anybody got one and if so, what's the verdict?  Worth having, any problems with installation, billing etc?  I'm tempted to go ahead and have one fitted, but have heard a few horror stories, however that's probably more to do with the first generation of meters.

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.