C/U

Kev John

On 1/19/2016 at 18:23, Dave Thorley said:

A rare English Psych 45 that has been played before under several C/U names. Recently sold one to Japan for around £400

Ta dave

I didn't pay that much for it lol m8

This has been played to a lot of collectors which all liked 

Even Mr Chapman  & Mr Minshull was impressed with the sound when they heard it & right for BIG rooms 

atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
Social source share

I agree with all that it's not a soul 45 and it's not for me, that's why I sold it, but in this great melting pot each to his own. Have noticed at a few big northern events, well the few I've been to that a couple of the DJ's have been playing psych/beat 45's including Sean Chapman, hope this isn't the future.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

10 hours ago, Benji said:

Are you really playing stuff like this at soul venues?

9 hours ago, jim g said:

Sorry, but that is utter s*** IMHO 

9 hours ago, Steve G said:

and mine :lol:

1 hour ago, lfcjunkie said:

That's bad ...real bad can't hear oone ounce of soul in that ...it's even a bad pop record...mind you heard a 'soul' dj on the radio playing 'one minute every hour' the other day ...jesus..I   nearly blew the radio off the shelf with the 12bore...

Y'all beat me to it, dreadful racket.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

29 minutes ago, lfcjunkie said:

Don't blame you selling it Dave...surprised at 400 and more surprised a japanese buying that kind of stuff especially if he was a soul collector..

Atb

Dave L

I don't know if the Japanese guy was a soul collector, but as I said at the very beginning it is a very rare British Freak Beat/Psych 45 and has sold privately and on Ebay for that on a fair few occasions. 

Social source share

8 hours ago, jim g said:

What I don't get is non soul drivel like this even gets considered OK to play out. In the beginning records were played because they "sounded" right and we danced to them. Later, i some cases we were horrified to find out the were really pop songs but by none soul singers. But there was no internet, mobile phones, etc. etc., so we could be forgiven. Today, we can find out almost anything pretty quick and there is no excuse for playing rubbish like the record in this topic. 

Am I being elitist, maybe. But I have always been focussed on loving soul music. And there enough great soul records that never get played anywhere to last another lifetime without resorting to garage/psyche/pop trash at soul venues. Yes our roots our mod/soul/pop, but over time soul music became the driving force for me. When I was young (and now) I always sought out good soul records. 

We can be forgiven for loving the old classics  for the reasons stated in the first paragraph, but today DJ's should not being playing any old crap just because it is rare or exclusive. Perhaps though that is the issue, having an "exclusive" is more important than the content of said record. After all, for over 40 years now, there has always been a pissing contest between DJ's and collectors about records which has lead to some truly awful records getting played out because they are rare.

Anyway, this is just my 2p worth which was fuelled by listening to the awful record above.

On a closing note the record below on auction on JM site at the moment is equally bad, the description even mentions psyche!! (and ironically, the artists name is "The Lost Soul")

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/index.php/auction/10639/im-gonna-hurt-you-for-you

Precisely Jim why bring these records to a soul/site/forum at all ...just by listening to the vocal in fact everything ..you know it ain't soul..oh am i missing 'the beat'.....and some folks slag off deep soul....the mind boggles....

Dave L

Social source share

some damming opinions on this, not hot on it myself, but I've heard some awful soul and funk records played out too and the northern scene has always been a dance scene first and foremost so why the hell shouldn't there be a place for tunes like this. Is it really pushing the envelope any more than playing ten year old,bad house records? or even black rock and roll tunes from the 50's? or yet another tune that's a version of tighten up? variety is the key for me that and tolerance, it may lack soul but is does have a certain sense of atmosphere and probably enough momentum to carr it on the dance floor so why not!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I'd sooner listen to the banana splits and scooby doo than some of the music masquerading as rare/northern soul.  Far too much is so far removed from what we are used to.  Far too much played for rarities sake. Quality control seems to have taken a break.

most of these records are enjoyed by a tiny vocal minority.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 1/20/2016 at 18:11, lfcjunkie said:

On a closing note the record below on auction on JM site at the moment is equally bad, the description even mentions psyche!! (and ironically, the artists name is "The Lost Soul")

I love the Lost Soul record and their other one 'Secret Of Mine', both might be blue-eyed but these guys definitely got Soul. The 'psyche' mentioned is for the flip.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soul-Slider said:

I love the Lost Soul record and their other one 'Secret Of Mine', both might be blue-eyed but these guys definitely got Soul. The 'psyche' mentioned is for the flip.

I fully respect your taste and opinion, for me it as soulful as Timmy Mallet. To each their own as they say!

Social source share

22 hours ago, geeselad said:

some damming opinions on this, not hot on it myself, but I've heard some awful soul and funk records played out too and the northern scene has always been a dance scene first and foremost so why the hell shouldn't there be a place for tunes like this. Is it really pushing the envelope any more than playing ten year old,bad house records? or even black rock and roll tunes from the 50's? or yet another tune that's a version of tighten up? variety is the key for me that and tolerance, it may lack soul but is does have a certain sense of atmosphere and probably enough momentum to carr it on the dance floor so why not!

Sure does, it stinks :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, maslar said:

Well it's obviously not a soul record. But then again neither is it "psych". Not to me anyway. I'd class it more "bubblegum". Sounds like something you might have seen/heard on Eurovision 45 years ago.  Not my cup of tea anyway.

I believe it sells mostly for the other side, which really is out-and-out psych.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

On 1/20/2016 at 03:36, Russ Vickers said:

Definitely not for me, there are so many brilliant soulful dance records out there, why play white pop records ?....I'm sure its respected within its genre, but should not be played at a Soul event.

Best Russ

Russ, I could (and do) say the same thing about records like "Your Autumn Of Tomorrow" by The Crow on Dire Ear (I think that's its US label?) - not for me personally, and definitely not a soul record, but seems to float someone's boat nonetheless!

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Gene-R said:

Russ, I could (and do) say the same thing about things like "Your Autumn Of Tomorrow" by The Crow - not for me personally, and definitely not a soul record, but seems to float someone's boat nonetheless!

I love the Crow, I would call it funk ?...not every ones cup of tea I know & I would be the last person to say I like every NS record, cos I don't, but to me, the record this post is about is a stinker for NS dance floors, but not saying that within its genre it isn't considered a good example, I don't know, as Im mainly interested in Soulful/Funky dance music.

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Not saying I like the 45 in question, but Iisten to some of the people on this thread, you were all happy to play funk records when you thought them trendy, why not psych/beat 45s?

talk about hypocritical...

m

Explain. Where is the hypocrisy? Psych/beat 45s have a clear place on the Mod end of the spectrum (though I suspect not all people calling themselves 'Mods' would necessarily like that end) but do they (generally speaking) have a place in the Rare Soul & Funk/Northern Soul end of the spectrum? I think most would agree, probably not on the whole. Despite protestations from some corners, funk has a clear fit with Rare/Northern Soul because funk has always been there or thereabouts somewhere in that spectrum. I haven't seen anybody on this thread being hypocritical - I've seen some fairly frank views about this particular record and a fair degree of acknowledgement that it might even fit with some corners of this vast spectrum. But I am struggling to see where you're coming from and the comparison you draw with the infusion of funk into the Rare/Northern scene in recent years?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

this is the kind of 45 i may well  have bought 10/15 odd years ago after hearing it  on a player at 4am  smashed at  a niter,when i was into all sorts of music and desperatley trying to find something  differant.....and been mortified to hear it again at home on monday:ohmy:.......i have some 60s psych records but this is not to my liking im afraid.........just pop to my ears.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, markw said:

Explain. Where is the hypocrisy? Psych/beat 45s have a clear place on the Mod end of the spectrum (though I suspect not all people calling themselves 'Mods' would necessarily like that end) but do they (generally speaking) have a place in the Rare Soul & Funk/Northern Soul end of the spectrum? I think most would agree, probably not on the whole. Despite protestations from some corners, funk has a clear fit with Rare/Northern Soul because funk has always been there or thereabouts somewhere in that spectrum. I haven't seen anybody on this thread being hypocritical - I've seen some fairly frank views about this particular record and a fair degree of acknowledgement that it might even fit with some corners of this vast spectrum. But I am struggling to see where you're coming from and the comparison you draw with the infusion of funk into the Rare/Northern scene in recent years?

I bet myself 5 quid one of you could not say no, and I was right...  you owe me five quid and at least an essay on why you dont like Psych records and chin stroking in the 21st Century...

Social source share

23 minutes ago, Mal C said:

I bet myself 5 quid one of you could not say no, and I was right...  you owe me five quid and at least an essay on why you dont like Psych records and chin stroking in the 21st Century...

I haven't got a clue what you are on about mate.

Social source share

On 22/01/2016 at 14:59, Gene-R said:

Russ, I could (and do) say the same thing about records like "Your Autumn Of Tomorrow" by The Crow on Dire Ear (I think that's its US label?) - not for me personally, and definitely not a soul record, but seems to float someone's boat nonetheless!

cant believe you`re even comparing it to the crow.. thats a great record... this one wont ever grow on me

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

Is this you talking to yourself, as surely a bet with yourself means you owe the money to yourself, and maybe even the essay, though I'm sure you'd be better off giving the money to a well deserving charity rather than just swapping pockets, and I for one wouldn't read the essay as I'm a chin stroker with a rather large beard at present:wicked::g:sadly emoticon comes beardless!!

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Yeah you do Mark, the clincher for me was you recently giving some guy negative feedback for not responding to a reply you gave on one of his wants... what planet are you on?

You are a lovely bloke, but I find my self biting my lip every day at sanctimonious view of everything to do with Northern soul... you know what the, chap who started this thread, likes the track, and if he wants to call it Northern soul, he can call it northern soul... Tattoo Dave, I'm not expecting you to read between the lines...

P.s I sold a record on here today, I could not help my self, but I deliberately took the sales price off the sales post after I sold it...

Whatever....................

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!