• Replies 3
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Dave Thorley said:

Dear old Gino never gave up on trying to get a hit or do a deal on many of his records. Wondered how many variations there were on this release, here are three I have.

gino2.jpg.236a0a09ce59651148ef4154f872dcgino3.jpg.81856ca33d446a34398eb0e1c0d3e7gino4.JPG.e0f955cdc60285e696b9bcaefeb040

Then there's this west coast promo issue (never saw a stocker of it) where the intro of 'I'll be around' (guitar stackato) is cut shorter than on the Detroit press (where funnily is rather long...). How is the intro of 'I'll be around' on the Mala copy in comparaison ? 56a36e5c1f359_Capturedcran2016-01-2313.1

Social source share

Coming back to this old tread on here; 

I'm  very interested in such little things because they tell a story also. 

I really love those kind of brute Detroit "home made" Atac/Washpan/Do-De-Re... releases.

Theoretically I'd have understand that Gino didn't release himself his own material, back catalogue included until the late 6T's early 7T's. I'd have thought that he started his own releases only after failing with the poorly promoted Mala and Atac (RPR) 45 misventure with what could be reasonably considered as his most potent and potentially hit-bound material 'I'll be around'.

Do anyone knows better for facts what's the story with those multiple releases ?

Social source share

6 hours ago, tlscapital said:

Coming back to this old tread on here; 

I'm  very interested in such little things because they tell a story also. 

I really love those kind of brute Detroit "home made" Atac/Washpan/Do-De-Re... releases.

Theoretically I'd have understand that Gino didn't release himself his own material, back catalogue included until the late 6T's early 7T's. I'd have thought that he started his own releases only after failing with the poorly promoted Mala and Atac (RPR) 45 misventure with what could be reasonably considered as his most potent and potentially hit-bound material 'I'll be around'.

Do anyone knows better for facts what's the story with those multiple releases ?

You are correct.  Some of those versions of "Like My Baby" occurred in different years.  The Mala release was issued in 1967 (I believe), and the ATAC distributed by RPR, was issued in 1968 or 1969.  The Atac red and white was issued by Gino Washington in the early 1970s.  The W.M.C. was the latest (mid or late '70s?).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!