Harvey "Any way you wanta" demo or boot ?

15 hours ago, Matthew Hardison said:

Seen this today ... It kind of looks like the original but not quite ... anyone know if this is a boot or the real deal ?

Cheers

harvey.png

These were floating around a lot in Belgium due to the demand for the Pop-Corn scene in the 7T's. I always found them suspicious and when I finally got myself a genuine stocker, I understood these ones (like your scan) were bootlegs made in the the USA in the 7T's. They have all the characteristics from a pressing plant (which particular one I don't know) that are made with thick vinyl and even thicker center with a "basin" toward the center hole and with bad print quality on the paper label. Then there's this one also (legit ???) that from the look like an 8T's thing to me...56a9d28c162ec_Capturedcran2016-01-2809.3

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It looks like a bootleg to me, in that its printing is so light.  I have that version of the white DJ, and it did NOT have the small faces.   But the print is MUCH. MUCH darker, and thicker.  It appears to have been made from a scan or photocopy of the label, as is so common with lookalike bootlegs.  I've never heard of Harvey and Gwen re-issuing any 45s legitimately, after their merger with Motown.  I think that a legitimate '70s reissue would have been difficult to bring to fruition, due to their divorce.  Furthermore, a legitimate re-issue to feed the collectors' market would NOT have been placed on an original lookalike DJ - especially with the "wrong" flip (Challengers).  That has got to be a boot.

Social source share

Way back in the mid ‘90’s whilst in America looking for records I was reliably informed by a well known dealer in Pittsburgh that the only sure fire way to get a definite October 1962 released original of this record was to obtain the green stock copy. It was bootlegged quite heavily (time period unknown) as a pretty convincing white demo in the Pittsburgh area to supply local demand so I was told. Apparently it was a big record for local Radio DJ legend ‘Mad Mike’ (Metrovich) in the mid ‘60’s.

The first press has Nashville Matrix and Bell Sound stamped in the run out groove just like my green stock copy has.

Derek

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Also available on Popcorn lable ;popc126 = Harvey ;"anyway you wanta" ,on discogs or ebay Chatahoochie {a dealer!] ,Lest we forget jnr walker did his version ?interpretation on the b/side of " Pucker up Buttercup" {A Special request to the Simply Adorable Blackpool Bombshell I.G.L.} LOL Johnny ,Malaga.

Social source share

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Stay Loose said:

I've had green stock copies, with title differences. 

(Dance) Any Way You Wanna

Any Way You Wanna 

The "B" side, "She Loves Me So", title credits on those 2 different pressings varied, as well.  On the large font, RCA Midwest pressing, it lists "Harvey and The Spinners" as the artists, and on the small font regional pressing, it lists only "Harvey (formerly of The Moonglows)" as the artist.

Social source share

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, The Fox said:

I know what you're saying Mal,  but it looks like the original posted further up, I was just adding to the possible list of genuine pressings 

_20180601_184934.JPG

The original has a two stamped run out as quoted by the lord of Bradford derek!!

the Pittsburgh bootleg has a a Nashville stamp which is very faint-a good bootleg but certainly not a proper un!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Don't want to sound like I'm in denial (perhaps I am) but the label and shape of the dish is exactly as described for the good un higher up. This doesn't have a nashville stamp so wouldn't be the pittsburg one. 

Does anyone have have any knowledge of the Audio Matrix copy?  The picture I added above is the actual copy, as you can see there is no bevelling and the print is bold and solid. The only other info is the number is etched not stamped.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

The Audio Matrix feintly stamped white promos look OK.  No faces on the label or other deadwax machine stamps but have checked on discogs and the TP-1017 for this record looks like a  Audio Matrix number. However, it is a missing number from the Audio Matrix, Inc. listings on discogs. The nearest one from Audio Matrix, Inc. listed is TP-1019 - Johnny & Jackey - Baby Don'tcha Worry / Stop What You're Saying - Harvey. Hope this helps. 🙂 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!