Current Bootleg Trading (split from Soul Pack thread)

niknak

site note - this thread was split from the original topic in order to provide a suitable place to discuss current bootlegging seperate from the soul pack sales dispute topic

The compensation pack contained a John Wesley & a Sam Williams. Bill Bush,The Districts,Billy Woods(not even close to looking like an original)Valerie Simpson, Jeanie Tracy, etc. What do you know about these boots. I can't seem to find them on the internet for sale. I wonder how they are being dished, & for what purpose. 

On 1/22/2016 at 09:23, LambrettaGP200 said:

Out of interest, did the £30k "compensation" pack contain nice fresh copies of Sam Williams, The Salvadors, The Magnetics on Ra-Sel, The Greater Expericence & maybe a John Wesley?

Social source share

13 minutes ago, niknak said:

The compensation pack contained a John Wesley & a Sam Williams. Bill Bush,The Districts,Billy Woods(not even close to looking like an original)Valerie Simpson, Jeanie Tracy, etc. What do you know about these boots. I can't seem to find them on the internet for sale. I wonder how they are being dished, & for what purpose. 

I thought the Billy Woods looks great to be honest!

Don't know why he would say that, at a glance, half of them look superb, but the Billy Woods originals are styrene anyway, as are the Sam Williams, these are all vinyl.  I've got all of them - I've never thought them to be real or tried to sell any.  I told everyone weeks ago that they were not on sale and the only people who had them, had been given them.  If that Salvadors went on ebay though it would fetch £100, it's better than these shit old pressings and carvers with stuck on badly photocopied labels. 

Social source share

4 minutes ago, tlscapital said:

I think those newly made bootleg should be framed, named and shamed to warn people. Are them those we saw on the EvilBay that brought up some topics in the 'look at your box' forum ? Why go under such secrecy around them for those in the "known"... they are just bootlegs and should be treated as.

Read the thread - nobody has got them in any quantity to sell - there's 20 titles, 14 that appear to be known about, probably 3 or 4 people know what the others are.  There are none for sale, they have never been up for sale, the people who have got them have a single copy each.  If anyone wants to buy mine, let me know and I'll send you the photos.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Rob Wigley said:

I didn't know Jeanie Tracey had been done, however a frend recently showed me a recently purchased copy and to be honest it looked way different to the one I used to own.  Are there several new look a likes being passed off as originals on unsuspecting collectors ??

Rob that is a totally different press on a black label

Social source share

1 minute ago, Pete S said:

Look, I can see whats coming here, I'm going to cop all the flak for this when I've not actually done anything, I've not made any records, I've not sold any records, I'm just sticking up for a friend that's all and stating facts that I'm told are true.  If they are not true then I apologise but I can only go on what I'm told.  

No-one's accusing you of making or selling the boots Pete , all folk would like is a list of the titles and if possible a scan of the labels for future reference.

You know as well as I do that at some point these are going to appear for sale , not from you but from someone somewhere for whatever reason .

Surely it can only benefit the majority of us poor uninformed souls to have the details on record so's to speak to help prevent future scams ... ?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

47 minutes ago, Steve G said:

Pete, as you have them all, could you please post up a list of ALL of the titles. That way collectors will know what to be suspicious of. This is the same story that started on here before Christmas with the moody Rita Graham and Willie Tee 45s.

I mean the Sam Williams was supposedly "found" at a boot fair in Bolton according to Facebook….75p LOL

What is next in the "lookalike challenge"? 

you probably won't believe me when I say I haven't got them in here with me but I've only got 3 in here, 2 of which I photographed, so from memory

Billy Woods colour labels, on vinyl not styrene

Willie Tee unissued thing on Gator

Greater Experience

Magnetics

Sam Williams

John Wesley

Rita Graham lp track thing

Salvadors

Terry Johnson lp track on Gordy 

Metros we still have time 

Val Simpson lp track on Tamla

Jeannie Tracey

Districts

something by O'Kaysions

Jonathan Capree on Oxbow

Louis Paul

Snoopy Dean unissued thing

Willie Tee please don't go Nola demo

Bill Bush with the proper B side

sorry can't remember the rest, I know there are 5 which aren't copies or counterfeits, they are of either unissued tracks or lp tracks that leaves 15 lookalikes

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

1 minute ago, Pete S said:

Jonathan Capree on Oxbow

I was informed (by a friend who is close to Levine) that this 'turned up' in quantity recently, and a good friend of mine sold his own copy for that reason.......something smells very bad here and I think some serious shit is gonna be hitting some very large fans in the not too distant future........

• Helpful 3
Social source share

4 minutes ago, markw said:

Why would someone go to the not insignificant expense and trouble of reproducing good and convincing counterfeits of top end value rare records and then give them away? That is indeed a most generous friend.

No idea what the masterplan is.  Something else not mentioned, there are supposed to be 30 copies of each.  So they won't be around long if they get released into the wild.  I can promise you I didn't pay for mine, can you see me buying things like Jeanie Tracey and any other modern or crossover thing?

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Pete S said:

you probably won't believe me when I say I haven't got them in here with me but I've only got 3 in here, 2 of which I photographed, so from memory

Billy Woods colour labels, on vinyl not styrene

Willie Tee unissued thing on Gator

Greater Experience

Magnetics

Sam Williams

John Wesley

Rita Graham lp track thing

Salvadors

Terry Johnson lp track on Gordy 

Metros we still have time 

Val Simpson lp track on Tamla

Jeannie Tracey

Districts

something by O'Kaysions

Jonathan Capree on Oxbow

Louis Paul

Snoopy Dean unissued thing

Willie Tee please don't go Nola demo

sorry can't remember the rest, I know there are 5 which aren't copies or counterfeits, they are of either unissued tracks or lp tracks that leaves 15 lookalikes

If it looks like this, there's going to be a lot of rip-offs since it's not only wanted on the northern soul scene and not everybody will have read this topic. 56a2852ea76ef_Capturedcran2016-01-2220.3

Social source share

1 minute ago, tlscapital said:

If it looks like this, there's going to be a lot of rip-offs since it's not only wanted on the northern soul scene and not everybody will have read this topic. 56a2852ea76ef_Capturedcran2016-01-2220.3

It looks as good as that.  

9 minutes ago, tlscapital said:

Cheers LambrettaGP200, I'm not the getting too carried away kind. And I totally follow you there. But I wouldn't want to be in Niknak shoes trying to sell those bootlegs that can't be sold (apparently) !!! They are going to cause a controversial surge when proposed for silly money.

Wiggyflat's option for a full refund would have been the best option IMHO. But now it may be too late. This is the best seller's policy to avoid any muddy waters but it seems that this option wasn't offered or even a partial refund but instead extra ultra rare 45... 

I would buy them off him.

Social source share

17 minutes ago, Steve G said:

Isn't the Metros licensed by Ace / Kent? Has anyone told Ady?

Once again, nobody has got this Steve.  Nobody.  No one had even heard of it.  No one knows what label it is on.  So whats the difference between having that and making your own carver.  Some of the records I listed have ever been seen by anyone and that includes Ian Levine.  Snoopy Dean, Louis Paul, Jonathan Capree, Okaysions, Metros - none of you would know anything about these if I hadn't mentioned them above.  If anyone can show me a copy of those last five records, I'd love to hear from you.  I've got one of each.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

20 minutes ago, Pete S said:

No idea what the masterplan is.  Something else not mentioned, there are supposed to be 30 copies of each.  So they won't be around long if they get released into the wild.  I can promise you I didn't pay for mine, can you see me buying things like Jeanie Tracey and any other modern or crossover thing?

Doubt anyone would press as little as 30 copies of each to be honest.........also didn't Simon Soussan apparently re-surface in recent months..........?????  Could history be repeating itself?..........

Social source share

5 hours ago, Rob Wigley said:

Are there several new look a likes being passed off as originals on unsuspecting collectors ??

These look-a-likes are getting to look so real. 

Spoiling it for individual sellers, who want to sell originals.

Soon buyers are going to lose confidence in buying rare originals, unless they are sold by well known dealers like John Manship Records etc whom they feel they can trust.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

5 hours ago, Pete S said:

5 hours ago, tlscapital said:

I think those newly made bootleg should be framed, named and shamed to warn people. Are them those we saw on the EvilBay that brought up some topics in the 'look at your box' forum ? Why go under such secrecy around them for those in the "known"... they are just bootlegs and should be treated as.

Read the thread - nobody has got them in any quantity to sell - there's 20 titles, 14 that appear to be known about, probably 3 or 4 people know what the others are.  There are none for sale, they have never been up for sale, the people who have got them have a single copy each.  If anyone wants to buy mine, let me know and I'll send you the photos.

So you're not averse to making a quid off these pieces of crap after all, that's pretty choice.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

1 minute ago, wiggyflat said:

We may have to go back to the bad old days when records were dropped once booted and you were after the next biggie and exclusive......GREAT.

Yes and once they were dropped, the price of the original used to plumet, and there where some nice bargains to be picked up!

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones
4 hours ago, Pete S said:

sam.jpg

jeanne.jpg

By the way, there's a couple of gents selling thousands of pirate and bootleg and carver records on ebay every day...and another one buying £10 boots, sticking colour photocopies on them and getting £100 a go...so not sure why anyone is getting upset over a handful of really good quality lookalikes that aren't being offered for sale anywhere.   None of these came from Ian Levine by the way - I had them before he did.

Just seen this. God,that Jeanie Tracy looks scarily close to the proper thing to me. Phew ! I would say almost impossible to tell apart from the real thing except to all but the expert eye. I'll have to do a closer inspection to the genuine one when I get a moment. 

I'd love to see good scans of them all, just so as we can all see what we're dealing with. The Sam Williams looks fantastic too doesn't it ?

Can anyone do the honours with a picture of the Billy Woods from the same batch ?

Personally, I can't really see what the big deal is with these bootlegs anyway,[apart from the obvious pitfalls of people buying them as the genuine article, that is]. They're all really rare, ultra expensive for normal collectors, or, don't actually exist in original format anyway.Realistically, the proper thing is totally unobtainable for normal people, a nice looking bootleg is the next best thing for most,I would have thought.

To me, the real problem is not so much the actual bootleg,[these ones look really nice don't they?], but people dishonestly trying to sell them for a fortune as the genuine article to unsuspecting mugs. 

Surely,I would have thought if people are gonna buy expensive rarities,then they should at least do some sort of homework on what they're buying shouldn't they ? Dont get me wrong,we've all been mugged off at one point or another with people being, shall we say, "economical with the truth", but in the case of say,Billy Woods, the orig is styrene anyway.

I know this is going off on a tangent from the real gist of the thread so apologies for that,

Ivor

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Ivor Jones said:

Just seen this. God,that Jeanie Tracy looks scarily close to the proper thing to me. Phew ! I would say almost impossible to tell apart from the real thing except to all but the expert eye. I'll have to do a closer inspection to the genuine one when I get a moment. 

I'd love to see good scans of them all, just so as we can all see what we're dealing with. The Sam Williams looks fantastic too doesn't it ?

Can anyone do the honours with a picture of the Billy Woods from the same batch ?

Personally, I can't really see what the big deal is with these bootlegs anyway,[apart from the obvious pitfalls of people buying them as the genuine article, that is]. They're all really rare, ultra expensive for normal collectors, or, don't actually exist in original format anyway.Realistically, the proper thing is totally unobtainable for normal people, a nice looking bootleg is the next best thing for most,I would have thought.

To me, the real problem is not so much the actual bootleg,[these ones look really nice don't they?], but people dishonestly trying to sell them for a fortune as the genuine article to unsuspecting mugs. 

Surely,I would have thought if people are gonna buy expensive rarities,then they should at least do some sort of homework on what they're buying shouldn't they ? Dont get me wrong,we've all been mugged off at one point or another with people being, shall we say, "economical with the truth", but in the case of say,Billy Woods, the orig is styrene anyway.

I know this is going off on a tangent from the real gist of the thread so apologies for that,

Ivor

billy woods0002.jpg

Edited by niknak
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones
10 minutes ago, niknak said:

the dust is from the scanner, not the record.

they are not impossible to tell apart. I could tell within seconds

Thanks for that,much appreciated.

Social source share

Did that shit looking 70s boot make a cameo appearance in the film then?

32 minutes ago, niknak said:

no, but you don't need to when you know what a Sussex record from this period looks like. Besides, the colour is so off the

Looks like one of those very flat Finish pressings with a stick on label, if this is the standard then I don't think anyone should be too worried.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

A little deep and philosophical Mr D!

:elvis:

Hope you are well Sir.

:hatsoff2:

Yep. I'm that way inclined tonight. I have been re-calibrating my 7" key play-out collection over the last 5 months and replacing a lot of stuff as well as clearing out some of those old bootlegs that were on the shelves that I would never actually play in a million years and I've now realised that that there is a massive market for this stuff, especially with younger people who would never get access to the originals and who could never afford them anyway. So it's better that I pass 'em on, rather than letting 'em wallow on my shelves.

In the 90s, I had a particularly good Mel Britt repro which wasn't for sale but some nutcase insisted that they had to buy that copy for £50 at the time, so I sold it. No big deal. I thought I could replace it. But I couldn't. So despite being a repro, I wish I'd kept it.

So I'd love to have a look at these Salvadors and Billy Woods repros because they'll probably be way superior to the ones I have. I want to see exactly how close they can get to the originals from a professional viewpoint. So is someone gonna send me 'em since, apparently, they're free? Am I not in the inner circle...? :)

Ian D :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, markw said:

That's a contradiction in terms. You cannot polish a turd. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig etc etc etc.

Don't waste your money mate. Buy some decent original soul records instead - you might be surprised..............

Mark, I have thousands of original soul records. In fact I've bought more in the last 5 months than I have in the previous 20 years. I have records in my collection now that I've been after for 40 years and finally managed to nail. But I don't have a spare £100K to replace some of those key classics, many of which I found in the first place. I simply don't have the level of wealth required to buy them again. So, for mainly aesthetic reasons, I'll grudgingly accept a fantastic repro 7" if I feel the need to own a 7" vinyl copy. 

I pretty much have everything I want in different formats anyway, so I already own every song I've ever wanted for the most part. I'll probably never own an original Billy Woods 7" again 'cos I don't have £5K spare, so in those rare moments when I'm in a 7" frame of mind, I'll just have to make do with a repro. It's a bitch and I self-flagellate myself daily because of it but the level of self-flagellation doesn't seem so bad if it's a GOOD repro. :)

Ian D :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I do hope this isn't going to be all about Ian.

It is ludicrous to suggest that these boots won't slip out at some point. I know Pete won't sell them but others will. There are stories swirling around that Greater Experience, Magnetics and Johnathan Capree have all slipped out and duped people. I can't prove it, but those are the stories doing the rounds. I did see someone on FB post a boot of one of them and ask how much it was worth. If he got it for free, then he's taking the p*ss.

As for soul packs. It is really funny but I was talking to a very well known dealer in the week. You all know him, but he doesn't want to get dragged in. He told me that someone who he wouldn't name but who I apparently know, has been buying up all his junk at 20-25p a pop. All the unsellable stuff that are cluttering up his room like The Softones That old black magic on Avco, the weak Ric Tics, Billy Ocean, (and maybe even Pink Cadillac). I am not going to suggest that is what is happening here, but it does make you think who would buy all that stuff? 2+2 = 5 or 4? That could be why some dealers are so defensive on this topic, because it's good business for them. 

Next up for booting? Larry Clinton? 

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones
11 hours ago, pow wow mik said:

Dont want to get into bootleg ethics again, but old records aren't comparable to art. 

Art's primary function is visual, so a fake - cheap or not - is going someway to serving it's intended purpose.

records were made to be listened to, but the means to do so is now free, so its a fake of superseded technology and has no purpose.

Old records have two functions still - the means to hear new music, if the record is unknown, and the collectibility as historic artefacts. 

Bootlegs dont serve either purpose, I dont see how having one is second best to owning an original as is often stated - surely just listening to and enjoying the music is second best, not owning some fake piece of modern tat.

But to many collectors, old records ARE art.  Why do people hanker after the original releases in tip top condition ? Because they want to have the proper thing,obviously, but also, in some cases, to show off, or, have some sort of bragging rights about owning the original. Which is fine too, people buy records for all sorts of reasons and who are we to judge anyway ? Personally, I always try to secure the best condition I can find because I find that aesthetically pleasing because I also like the whole LOOK of records too. I'm not alone in this either I know.Thats why mint records go for a premium price. So, for me anyway,they most definitely ARE art, both in sound AND vision,[ Nice topical David Bowie reference there ! ] Its also why companies make Picture frames for records/sleeves because people like to look at them as Art too. Its also why record companies reissue stuff with original looking labels,artwork,sleeves etc, because lots of collectors who buy this stuff prefer the look of them. You are correct of course in saying that you don't need records[or a physical format] to listen to music these days,[this is really hitting the whole music industry hard now for sure and may in the long term ultimately lead to its demise], however,lots of people do still choose to listen to vinyl. Where normal buyers cant afford ultra expensive rare originals lots of them will choose a bootleg instead.  The real issue is the prohibitive expense of buying super rare originals for everyone but the rich,which is why ,lookalike bootlegs will continue to flourish for as long as there is a demand for rare records. It happens in every type of old rare music scene too doesn't it ? Reggae, R&B, Rock N Roll, Doo-Wop, Rock you name it. Its the knowingly passing them off for a fortune as "originals" to mug buyers that is wrong. 

Social source share

11 hours ago, niknak said:

It's hard to say. What i do know is, one of Ian own legit record released last year The Sensationelles was made at the same pressing plant. You place this record next to the boots & every tiny detail is identical. The stand out tell is the squaring off of the label on the side by the matrix numbers (the matrix numbers on the label, not the run out) This 'tell' is on all the boots.

It’s possibly because current vinyl pressing machines have factors in common, but this is not correct.  The new ones were made in America.

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Mace said:

I'm still puzzled why these would be given away to folk to appease soul pack purchases.....unless....

Suppose 50 copies of the supposed 20 titles were pressed....that's 1000 x 45s, probably for an outlay of £2K

This thread has now brought them out into the open.....and guess what, values of £50 to £100 a piece are already being discussed.

We all have a moan and groan, fingers get pointed and a few people get slagged off.

Then, these appear on the market, not at originals, but for what they are....and sell for, lets say, £50 a pop.

After dishing out a few freebies, that probably leaves 40  x copies of 20 titles = 800 x45s @ £50 each = £40K

Nobody gets ripped off, cus folk will buy them for what they are......and a potential profit of £38K is made.

Now suppose there is more than 20 titles.....and more than 50 of each pressed......

They don't need to be flogged as originals to create a healthy profit.

Are we being played folks.....???

Thats exactly what I thought as soon as I started reading this thread. Just saying.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Mace said:

I'm still puzzled why these would be given away to folk to appease soul pack purchases.....unless....

Suppose 50 copies of the supposed 20 titles were pressed....that's 1000 x 45s, probably for an outlay of £2K

This thread has now brought them out into the open.....and guess what, values of £50 to £100 a piece are already being discussed.

We all have a moan and groan, fingers get pointed and a few people get slagged off.

Then, these appear on the market, not at originals, but for what they are....and sell for, lets say, £50 a pop.

After dishing out a few freebies, that probably leaves 40  x copies of 20 titles = 800 x45s @ £50 each = £40K

Nobody gets ripped off, cus folk will buy them for what they are......and a potential profit of £38K is made.

Now suppose there is more than 20 titles.....and more than 50 of each pressed......

They don't need to be flogged as originals to create a healthy profit.

Are we being played folks.....???

Are there 50 titles worth making though?  There's a few in that 20 that would barely sell 10 copies - I wouldn't buy Val Simpson, Okaysions, Districts...

Social source share

Just now, Pete S said:

Are there 50 titles worth making though?  There's a few in that 20 that would barely sell 10 copies - I wouldn't buy Val Simpson, Okaysions, Districts...

20 titles......50 copies of each.......and yes, some might not sell so well, but on balance some may well sell for more than £50.......

Social source share

Just now, Mace said:

20 titles......50 copies of each.......and yes, some might not sell so well, but on balance some may well sell for more than £50.......

No I mean you saying there could be more, up to 50 titles - I don't know if I could think of 50 records 

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Pete S said:

No I mean you saying there could be more, up to 50 titles - I don't know if I could think of 50 records 

Mixed across the genres I don't think 50 titles would be difficult........but if not, hey £38K for 20 titles ain't too shabby a deal

Edited by Mace
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Mace said:

The maths is off here Mace. The cost of the label artwork, the masters, setting up the machines etc…no way are 1000 records across 20 titles going to get done for £1k. Whether it's 50 copies or 300, most of the cost is in the upfront setting up, not the number of copies, if that makes sense. 

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Steve G said:

The maths is off here Mace. The cost of the label artwork, the masters, setting up the machines etc…no way are 1000 records across 20 titles going to get done for £1k. Whether it's 50 copies or 300, most of the cost is in the upfront setting up, not the number of copies, if that makes sense. 

That's right, it would be more cost effective to get 300 rather than 50.

https://www.discmanufacturingservices.com/vinyl-prices.htm

just the basic black and white label as well.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Steve G said:

I actually said £2k.....I know of records being pressed up at £2 a copy......but yes, more than 50 copies for sure......I implied as much earlier in thread that no-one would press up the supposed 30 copies of each as mentioned by Pete.

My instinct says 200 of each, and I think at that number you would get them for around £2 each........and they probably wont ALL sell for £50 to £100 each.......but I bet most do.

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Mace said:

I actually said £2k.....I know of records being pressed up at £2 a copy......but yes, more than 50 copies for sure......I implied as much earlier in thread that no-one would press up the supposed 30 copies of each as mentioned by Pete.

My instinct says 200 of each, and I think at that number you would get them for around £2 each........and they probably wont ALL sell for £50 to £100 each.......but I bet most do.

Yes but again...where are the copies for sale?  Could you get any of them, right now?  

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Pete S said:

Yes but again...where are the copies for sale?  Could you get any of them, right now?  

Exactly......you've already said you've had loads of people messaging you for copies and that certain ones you'd want at least £50 for................only time will tell but shall we meet back here in 6 months without editing our comments and see who got it right?

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!