Current Bootleg Trading (split from Soul Pack thread)

niknak

10 minutes ago, shinehead said:

I get that too Ian,  but after seeing so many of our artists make nothing at all and leave the industry broke and disillusioned , to see someone like Candi still in the business after all these years makes me happy and good luck to her and the other survivors.  

She re-recorded all of her hits apparently.  Not an Ian Levine project, one that he was commissioned in to do.

Social source share

6 minutes ago, fishcake said:

He probably has now in the light of all this,but up to a week or so ago there were pics of each other together on their facebook pages.

Now they have been taken down,together with the comments.

Facebook took all his stuff down though I think - plus the picture was probably taken ages ago, the one with Tim Brown?

Social source share

31 minutes ago, scotchmartin said:

Just wanted to chip into this on 'Bill Bush' to set the record straight.

In 2004 I tracked Bill down through the local paper, the rest is history and we became friends up to his untimely death in 2014. Over the years I sold several copies of his single I'm Waiting with profits going to Bill. He had at the time a very limited stock of his single which had been in the attic in the pressing plant box for 40 years, this was where the copies came from that I have sold. Anyone who has bought a copy of this single from Bill through me can be assured it is an original and from the artists own stock, and your details will remain confidential.

Bill's copies do not have a RONN /Jewel/Paula sleeve as it was never properly released, but this has been added legitimately by major record retailers on a couple of occasions, and by me on one occasion as it was signed by Bill.

On the original, the matrix reads, in this order anti-clockwise, TM2399 handwritten in the 3rd band of the run-out, then R-17 and SL-1311 - position varies on original copies. It is pressed onto vinyl and has a bevelled edge running down to the centre hole. It remains 'rare soul' in every sense and I'll do my best to keep it that way, for Bill.

I hope that helps to address some concerns about this record - a copy will be auctioned on eBay starting Monday 4 April 2016 to assist with school trip to Europe for his grandson.

It was never released then?  How did he get the copies, did they just scrap the release?

Social source share

4 hours ago, Pete S said:

UPDATED LIST

GUIDE TO THE “NEW LOOKALIKES” by PETE SMITH

Jonathan Capree

Gonna Build Me A Mountain / Big City
Ox Bow

Dead wax details:
Gonna Build Me A Mountain

At 4 0 clock RI 3109A scratched in

At 3 0 clock looks like CI/M DW scratched in but much smaller than the one mentioned above

Big City
as above except says RI 3109B instead of A and the smaller markings read RI/M DW
Circular pattern on label is very easy to see around the centre
Black print on original is darker

Sam Williams
Love Slipped Through My Fingers / Let’s Talk It Over
Tower

Dead wax details:
Love Slipped Through My Fingers
At 2 0 clock 61554 . T – 367 scratched in
Let’s Talk It Over
At 12 0 clock 61553   T – 367
Circular pattern on label is hard to see except for on the black of the Tower logo

Record is pressed on vinyl – original is on styrene

Jeanie Tracy
Making New Friends / Trippin On The Sounds
Brown Door

Dead wax details:
Making New Friends

At 11 0 clock 131238A – 1A scratched in
Trippin On The Sounds
At 6 0 clock 131238B – 1A

Circular pattern on label extremely easy to see

The Districts

One Lover (Just Won’t Do) / Like Clouds

Nile

Dead wax details:
One Lover (Just Won’t Do)
At 7 0 clock N40A scratched in
Like Clouds
At 7 0 clock N40B scratched in
Circular pattern very easy to see around centre and on Nile records logo

The Salvadors

Stick By Me Baby / I Wanna Dance

Wise World

Dead wax details
Stick By Me Baby
At 10 0 clock 62771 scratched in

I Wanna Dance

At 5 0 clock 62772 scratched in

Circular pattern easy to see all over when held to the light

The Greater Experience

Don’t Forget To Remember / Carol’s Carol
Colony “13” records

Dead wax details

Don’t Forget To Remember

At 8 0 clock very light CS scratched in. At 6 0 clock CSP – 45 2572A

Carol’s Carol
Reading anti clockwise from 9 0 clock small c inside large C and small s inside large S scratched in then CSP – 45 2572 – B

Original has a very deep CS stamp. Original is much glossier print, darker lettering.  The “Forget” in the title is almost touching the edge of the label on the original. 

The circular pattern is very hard to see on this one.

John Wesley

Love Is Such A Funny Thing /Stop The Music
Dead wax details

Love Is Such A Funny Thing
At 11 0 clock scratched inM-4196 R-250

Stop The Music
At 5 0 clock M-7195 R-849

Circular pattern easy to see even without bright light

Billy Woods

Let Me Make You Happy / That Was The Love That Was
Dead wax details

Let Me Make You Happy

At 7 0 clock SUX 213 B scratched in
At 5 0 clock very poor triangle a la Monarch, sides aren’t straight and two sides don’t meet at the top.  Delta number 100849 scratched in.
That Was The Love That Was

At 7 0 clock as above but triangle looks more like a small arrow. 

At 2 0 clock SUX 213-A scratched in.

This side also has something extra – the word TRAY scratched in in large capital letters.

Circular pattern quite hard to see.

This copy is vinyl, the original is styrene.

Willie Tee
Please Don’t Go / My Heart Remembers
Dead wax details
Please Don’t Go
At 11 0 clock 174-2332

At 5 0 clock NIA-737 A

My Heart Remembers

At 7 0 clock NIA-737 B

At 4 0 clock 174-2333

The giveaway on this one is that the label is slightly too small, a black outer ridge can be seen before the run off groove.  The white of the label is really bright white instead of dull white and the printing of Dist. By Dover Records at the bottom is not well defined at all.  The circle pattern is extremely hard to see but can just about be seen in the black box under the 737 number.

Facebook is the new Black, apparently.

Massive massive amount of records sold to an incredibly huge captive audience - I can reach 500 people on here or on my list, but 15000 on facebook

I wish my posts would stop merging as they are unrelated

I've just had my weekly peruse of Manship's Auction 'Latest Additions' and there's nowt there. Being not right in the head, I thought, wouldn't it be funny if the next time I did, there was an auction comprising solely of all the recent "look-a-likes" !

"The holy grail of second issue,  trophy repress, collecting, complete in their birth sleeves - just right for today's scene"

Edited by simon t
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

23 minutes ago, simon t said:

I've just had my weekly peruse of Manship's Auction 'Latest Additions' and there's nowt there. Being not right in the head, I thought, wouldn't it be funny if the next time I did, there was an auction comprising solely of all the recent "look-a-likes" !

"The holy grail of second issue,  trophy repress, collecting, complete in their birth sleeves - just right for today's scene"

No that's my list next week...

• Helpful 3
Social source share

3 hours ago, simon t said:

Oh that would be so good, please let it be so. :yes:  :lol:

Social source share

9 hours ago, Quinvy said:

Oh that would be so good, please let it be so. :yes:  :lol:

And if the happened, do you think the same people on here who've criticised Levine will say a single word against Manship?  Of course they won't, they'll be kissing his arse like they always do.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Pete S said:

And if the happened, do you think the same people on here who've criticised Levine will say a single word against Manship?  Of course they won't, they'll be kissing his arse like they always do.

Did not want to get involved in the whole Ian Levine Soul Pack scenario but have to say I totally agree with Pete here with his comment. To tell you the truth this whole thing is starting to turn into a bit of Ian Levine witch hunt, never met the guy so cant comment what hes like as a person but maybe instead of concentrating too much of our disgruntled opinions on the recent revelation of  "lookalike bootlegs" connected to Ian we should be perhaps trying to sort out who is this "raptorbass2014" person that seems to get away with murder with regard to bootleg lookalikes!! As far as I know theres no John Bowie reissue around?! I think they have been mentioned on this forum before for misrepresenting his auction listings with use of incorrect wording..for a start most of his listings are still incorrectly worded as most of the records on the listing are NOT "70s pressings" or "reissues" as described in most of the listings?! Its people like this eBay seller that are constantly wearing down the integrity of the whole soul collecting scene, nobody will be collecting royalties from these sales as they are all "lookalike bootlegs" being produced at an alarming rate,so "soul police" where ever  you are please lay off Mr Levine as the real criminals of bootlegs are still out there , time for some justice!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-BOWIE-YOURE-GONNA-MISS-A-GOOD-THING-BABY-MERBEN-PROMO-REISSUE-/201512940807?hash=item2eeb1b7507:g:e9kAAOSwFMZWqT4D

Edited by foi
Social source share

Final part

The Magnetics

I Have A Girl / Love & Devotion

Dead wax details

I Have A Girl

At 12 0 clock R 7104-A scratched in.

Love & Devotion

At 10 0 clock R 7104-B scratched in

Label is very slightly smaller than the original. Circular pattern very easy to see.

Bill Bush
I’m Waiting / A Velvet Touch

Dead wax details

I’m Waiting

At 12 0 clock R – 1 and then an upside down 4 scratched in.  At 2 0 clock SL 1311 scratched in.  At 4 0 clock TM 2399 then what looks like a lower case handwritten ‘e’.

A Velvet Touch has these same markings except that SL 1311 becomes SL 1310 and TM 2399 becomes TM 2388.

Label is very slightly too small.  Circular pattern visible on I’m Waiting side.

There are already two bootlegs of this title in circulation but neither has the original flip side like this one does.  It’s very good but hold it to the light and look at the Ronn logo and you will see the circular pattern.

Louis Paul

The Change Will Do You Good / I’ll Never Have You

Dead wax details

The Change Will Do You Good
Reading anti clockwise from 11 0 clock; RE – UM 1001 A then a space RC then another space and what looks like a small oval shape with two horizontal lines running through it.

I’ll Never Have You

Reading anti clockwise from 11 0 clock: RE – UM 1001 B then a gap and a circlular shape with an oval going through it (a little like a “Saturn” )

This one really looks the part but again the labels are slightly too small.  No circular pattern on the label. 

Soul Incorporated
My Proposal / Message To Michael

Dead wax details

My Proposal

At 11 0 clock F/W scratched in.  At 2 0 clock 2031 A scratched in.

Message To Michael

At 4 0 clock F/W scratched in.  At 7 0 clock 2031 B scratched in.

Circular pattern can be seen on the label name and logo.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, foi said:

Did not want to get involved in the whole Ian Levin Soul Pack scenario but have to say I totally agree with Pete here with his comment. To tell you the truth this whole thing is starting to turn into a bit of Ian Levin witch hunt, never met the guy so cant comment what hes like as a person but maybe instead of concentrating too much of our disgruntled opinions on the recent revelation of  "lookalike bootlegs" connected to Ian we should be perhaps trying to sort out who is this "raptorbass2014" person that seems to get away with murder with regard to bootleg lookalikes!! As far as I know theres no John Bowie reissue around?! I think they have been mentioned on this forum before for misrepresenting his auction listings with use of incorrect wording..for a start most of his listings are still incorrectly worded as most of the records on the listing are NOT "70s pressings" or "reissues" as described in most of the listings?! Its people like this eBay seller that are constantly wearing down the integrity of the whole soul collecting scene, nobody will be collecting royalties from these sales as they are all "lookalike bootlegs" being produced at an alarming rate,so "soul police" where ever  you are please lay off Mr Levine as the real criminals of bootlegs are still out there , time for some justice!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-BOWIE-YOURE-GONNA-MISS-A-GOOD-THING-BABY-MERBEN-PROMO-REISSUE-/201512940807?hash=item2eeb1b7507:g:e9kAAOSwFMZWqT4D

How the fuck does he get away with the shipping costs...£11.78

Edited by headsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

14 minutes ago, foi said:

Did not want to get involved in the whole Ian Levin Soul Pack scenario but have to say I totally agree with Pete here with his comment. To tell you the truth this whole thing is starting to turn into a bit of Ian Levin witch hunt, never met the guy so cant comment what hes like as a person but maybe instead of concentrating too much of our disgruntled opinions on the recent revelation of  "lookalike bootlegs" connected to Ian we should be perhaps trying to sort out who is this "raptorbass2014" person that seems to get away with murder with regard to bootleg lookalikes!! As far as I know theres no John Bowie reissue around?! I think they have been mentioned on this forum before for misrepresenting his auction listings with use of incorrect wording..for a start most of his listings are still incorrectly worded as most of the records on the listing are NOT "70s pressings" or "reissues" as described in most of the listings?! Its people like this eBay seller that are constantly wearing down the integrity of the whole soul collecting scene, nobody will be collecting royalties from these sales as they are all "lookalike bootlegs" being produced at an alarming rate,so "soul police" where ever  you are please lay off Mr Levine as the real criminals of bootlegs are still out there , time for some justice!

But you did anyway. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

26 minutes ago, foi said:

Totally agree with P

Out of interest - I see that previously he's sold a copy of Don Gardner, Cheatin Kind. He claims this is from a limited edition reissue of 400 licensed by Don Gardner himself. Is this true?  

Edited by maslar
typo
Social source share

21 minutes ago, foi said:

I know who that is, he was buying old pressings off me on Discogs.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

26 minutes ago, foi said:

Totally agree with P

Every thread on here that mentions Ian Levine usually turns out the same way. You have to understand that he was the guy who the downright affrontery to unlease Carstairs It Really Hurts Me Girl onto the stomping classes, how very dare he, he should burn in hell etc. etc.. Good God its one of the best group soul records to grace the scene IMHO.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Pete S said:

Yes that is true, I've got one, you had to buy the Don Gardner double LP from Germany and the single was included, but the whole thing including postage was £34 so why people are paying £50+ for the single on it's own...crazy

Wow that's new to me. One of my all time favourites. That's the way to own it then unless I win the lottery. I've always assumed the Grapevine release was also legit but never got round to getting a copy.

Social source share

14 minutes ago, maslar said:

Out of interest - I see that previously he's sold a copy of Don Gardner, Cheatin Kind. He claims this is from a limited edition reissue of 400 licensed by Don Gardner himself. Is this true?  

Yes it is according to the sources that have been selling the LP compilations with the free 7" singles. Issued by Tramp Records in Germany, think the LP+ free 7" single reissue (of Cheatin' Kind) copies have all been bought up now!?! Not surprised as it'd be great investment if indeed they were licensed by Don Gardner.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

thread is about current bootleg trading - lets keep it to that please

closed temp will reopen in  a few hours

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if people do want to talk about ian levine be it his history, his past, other members views on him, involvement in current bootlegs etc etc

then  just start up a stand alone new  thread and we see how it goes - taking into account various things such as terms of use, legal issues etc etc

using this thread as a vehicle for such discussion  is simply not on people!

will remove any more at first sight

--------------------------------------

thread re-opened

Social source share

28 minutes ago, soulboy69 said:

Been reading this thread and these pressings obviously "look" like the real deal but what do they sound like? 

It's usually the poorer quality sound that i pick up on at venues that makes me realise that the dj is playing a boot.

They sound fantastic.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

26 minutes ago, guest said:

Those 'swirls' again...

Indeed. The paint brush effect again. I wonder…..with the right contact, I bet you could get some of these done in the UK somewhere or Europe, with a bit of "cash under the table" / after hours.:wicked::wicked: There seems to be a lot of these swirl boots appearing now.   

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Pete S said:

I don't agree that the Tony Colton comes from the same plant by the way.  I think the Don Gardner official repro does.

I agree Pete.

Tony Colton is flat.

Don Gardner swirls.

So does anyone know where Don was Pressed?

Almost certainly Europe, not USA.

Sean

Don G.JPG

Edited by Sean Hampsey
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Sorry are you talking about my photo of Tony Colton?  There are hardly any visible circles compared to the others, trust me, it might be a camera trick but it's nothing like the others - that Tony Colton was done at the same place as the Candi Staton so use that one for reference not my photo

Social source share

What I don't understand is the Swirls part ? Why would a printed label have swirls , even if they were printed the old way or on a digital printer I

don't see how the swirls would appear . Unless there are swirls on the vinyl underneath the label which may give the same affect ?

Just interested like :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, SWIFTY said:

What I don't understand is the Swirls part ? Why would a printed label have swirls , even if they were printed the old way or on a digital printer I

don't see how the swirls would appear . Unless there are swirls on the vinyl underneath the label which may give the same affect ?

Hopefully someone who knows for sure will confirm, but I agree, likely on the vinyl, which points to a particular manufacturer, because don't see on other 45s...................

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, RareMusicDirect said:

Hopefully someone who knows for sure will confirm, but I agree, likely on the vinyl, which points to a particular manufacturer, because don't see on other 45s...................

Could the swirls be on the stampers?

Edited by CRUMB
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Pete S said:

Final part

The Magnetics

I Have A Girl / Love & Devotion

Dead wax details

I Have A Girl

At 12 0 clock R 7104-A scratched in.

Love & Devotion

At 10 0 clock R 7104-B scratched in

Label is very slightly smaller than the original. Circular pattern very easy to see.

Bill Bush
I’m Waiting / A Velvet Touch

Dead wax details

I’m Waiting

At 12 0 clock R – 1 and then an upside down 4 scratched in.  At 2 0 clock SL 1311 scratched in.  At 4 0 clock TM 2399 then what looks like a lower case handwritten ‘e’.

A Velvet Touch has these same markings except that SL 1311 becomes SL 1310 and TM 2399 becomes TM 2388.

Label is very slightly too small.  Circular pattern visible on I’m Waiting side.

There are already two bootlegs of this title in circulation but neither has the original flip side like this one does.  It’s very good but hold it to the light and look at the Ronn logo and you will see the circular pattern.

Louis Paul

The Change Will Do You Good / I’ll Never Have You

Dead wax details

The Change Will Do You Good
Reading anti clockwise from 11 0 clock; RE – UM 1001 A then a space RC then another space and what looks like a small oval shape with two horizontal lines running through it.

I’ll Never Have You

Reading anti clockwise from 11 0 clock: RE – UM 1001 B then a gap and a circlular shape with an oval going through it (a little like a “Saturn” )

This one really looks the part but again the labels are slightly too small.  No circular pattern on the label. 

Soul Incorporated
My Proposal / Message To Michael

Dead wax details

My Proposal

At 11 0 clock F/W scratched in.  At 2 0 clock 2031 A scratched in.

Message To Michael

At 4 0 clock F/W scratched in.  At 7 0 clock 2031 B scratched in.

Circular pattern can be seen on the label name and logo.

You missed out the label marks / imprint on the Magnetics to identify the real thing. Talking about the marks the original shares with the Epitome Of Sound original

Social source share

19 hours ago, SWIFTY said:

I would imagine it is done when the record is pressed, I can't imagine any printer printing like that.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mentioned this in the Satan's Breed thread, but might as well put it here as well.

These swirly-look-a-likes look a whole lot like the stuff coming from the Pallas pressing plant in Germany (and its US branch).

https://www.discogs.com/label/271440-Schallplattenfabrik-Pallas-GmbH
https://www.discogs.com/label/632752-Pallas-USA
https://www.discogs.com/label/277449-PO-Pallas
https://www.discogs.com/label/137255-Pallas

Some examples:

pallas0.jpg

pallas2.jpg

pallas1.jpg

pallasUSA1.jpg

pallasUSA2.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones
On 28 January 2016 at 16:39, Pete S said:

UPDATED LIST

GUIDE TO THE “NEW LOOKALIKES” by PETE SMITH

Jonathan Capree

Gonna Build Me A Mountain / Big City
Ox Bow

Dead wax details:
Gonna Build Me A Mountain

At 4 0 clock RI 3109A scratched in

At 3 0 clock looks like CI/M DW scratched in but much smaller than the one mentioned above

Big City
as above except says RI 3109B instead of A and the smaller markings read RI/M DW
Circular pattern on label is very easy to see around the centre
Black print on original is darker

Sam Williams
Love Slipped Through My Fingers / Let’s Talk It Over
Tower

Dead wax details:
Love Slipped Through My Fingers
At 2 0 clock 61554 . T – 367 scratched in
Let’s Talk It Over
At 12 0 clock 61553   T – 367
Circular pattern on label is hard to see except for on the black of the Tower logo

Record is pressed on vinyl – original is on styrene

Jeanie Tracy
Making New Friends / Trippin On The Sounds
Brown Door

Dead wax details:
Making New Friends

At 11 0 clock 131238A – 1A scratched in
Trippin On The Sounds
At 6 0 clock 131238B – 1A

Circular pattern on label extremely easy to see

The Districts

One Lover (Just Won’t Do) / Like Clouds

Nile

Dead wax details:
One Lover (Just Won’t Do)
At 7 0 clock N40A scratched in
Like Clouds
At 7 0 clock N40B scratched in
Circular pattern very easy to see around centre and on Nile records logo

The Salvadors

Stick By Me Baby / I Wanna Dance

Wise World

Dead wax details
Stick By Me Baby
At 10 0 clock 62771 scratched in

I Wanna Dance

At 5 0 clock 62772 scratched in

Circular pattern easy to see all over when held to the light

The Greater Experience

Don’t Forget To Remember / Carol’s Carol
Colony “13” records

Dead wax details

Don’t Forget To Remember

At 8 0 clock very light CS scratched in. At 6 0 clock CSP – 45 2572A

Carol’s Carol
Reading anti clockwise from 9 0 clock small c inside large C and small s inside large S scratched in then CSP – 45 2572 – B

Original has a very deep CS stamp. Original is much glossier print, darker lettering.  The “Forget” in the title is almost touching the edge of the label on the original. 

The circular pattern is very hard to see on this one.

John Wesley

Love Is Such A Funny Thing /Stop The Music
Dead wax details

Love Is Such A Funny Thing
At 11 0 clock scratched inM-4196 R-250

Stop The Music
At 5 0 clock M-7195 R-849

Circular pattern easy to see even without bright light

Billy Woods

Let Me Make You Happy / That Was The Love That Was
Dead wax details

Let Me Make You Happy

At 7 0 clock SUX 213 B scratched in
At 5 0 clock very poor triangle a la Monarch, sides aren’t straight and two sides don’t meet at the top.  Delta number 100849 scratched in.
That Was The Love That Was

At 7 0 clock as above but triangle looks more like a small arrow. 

At 2 0 clock SUX 213-A scratched in.

This side also has something extra – the word TRAY scratched in in large capital letters.

Circular pattern quite hard to see.

This copy is vinyl, the original is styrene.

Willie Tee
Please Don’t Go / My Heart Remembers
Dead wax details
Please Don’t Go
At 11 0 clock 174-2332

At 5 0 clock NIA-737 A

My Heart Remembers

At 7 0 clock NIA-737 B

At 4 0 clock 174-2333

The giveaway on this one is that the label is slightly too small, a black outer ridge can be seen before the run off groove.  The white of the label is really bright white instead of dull white and the printing of Dist. By Dover Records at the bottom is not well defined at all.  The circle pattern is extremely hard to see but can just about be seen in the black box under the 737 number.

Facebook is the new Black, apparently.

Massive massive amount of records sold to an incredibly huge captive audience - I can reach 500 people on here or on my list, but 15000 on facebook

I wish my posts would stop merging as they are unrelated

Hello Pete,

thank you for posting up all that info,very helpful. I realise it would be a pain in the arse but is there any way that we could get good scans of the individual copies in question and then post up the relevant info for each one ? I know that the pictures were on the earlier thread then disappeared,any chance of someone retrieving or re-posting them up ? It would make things much easier for anyone interested to be able to see straight away what the differences are…….

All the best, Ivor

Social source share

2 hours ago, Sebastian said:

Mentioned this in the Satan's Breed thread, but might as well put it here as well.

These swirly-look-a-likes look a whole lot like the stuff coming from the Pallas pressing plant in Germany (and its US branch).

Yes i think it's called the "Sprungspun fork technique" :D I'm here all week.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!