Am I Sad?

Newer

Just bought a United Sound Systems acetate on 12" 78rpm so I cant play it and it is a gosple song by some bloke accompanied by another bloke on the organ!!!

Bought it as it says along the bottom United Sound Systems, Detroit, Michigan.

Justified purchase or sad git? Cost 50C Canadian

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just bought a United Sound Systems acetate on 12" 78rpm so I cant play it and it is a gosple song by some bloke accompanied by another bloke on the organ!!!

Both.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...you sound like a perfectly well adjusted human being to me...

TONE :wicked:

Social source share

I'm not sure if this is the best place to get a sensible opinion on the matter. :lol:

Social source share

...you sound like a perfectly well adjusted human being to me...

TONE :D

Agreed ...... top deal in my book .

Question ...... how do you know it's another bloke on the organ ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

neither.

but you gotta watch those 78s, they break. they ain't like 'modern' vinyl - more like a digestive biscuit in terms of breakability.

yes, 78s are (mostly) shellac, not vinyl. but if it's an acetate then surely it will be the same as a more recent acetate, i.e. metal disc with hard wax surface...?

Social source share

On balance, I'd say justified. It could have been an unreleased Rose Batiste classic unknown to Ady Croasdell, John Manship et al. Then you could have hawked it to a DJ at a horrendously over-rated price and basked in the glory of having unearthed a classic. Alas it was a gospel singer and a guy with an organ. And therefore the sad git bit kicks in. Life can be cruel.

Social source share

Malc has raised an important point there. Most blokes wouldn't be in the same room with another bloke playing on his organ

Could it be a woman who is playing the organ, and is it the singer's organ or her own.

Is the organ the larger variety that you find in England or the smaller Scottish model.

Is the song a standard gospel re-working or perhaps from the oral tradition that was popular in '69.

I must stop watching Graham Norton.

ROD

Social source share

OK, lets attempt to clear up the organ playing!!!

I assume the bloke is accompanying the singer because it says accopmanied by " " on the organ?

I dont have the record here at work but I am assuming it isnt a woman as the first name is, if my memory is correct, is Frank!!!

I am not sure if it is a test pressing or acetate but it just has a blank United label with typed info on it.

And finally, if 2 blokes want to get together and have a sing song and one of them wants to play with his organ I am not going to judge them!!!

Social source share

OK, lets attempt to clear up the organ playing!!!

I assume the bloke is accompanying the singer because it says accopmanied by " " on the organ?

I dont have the record here at work but I am assuming it isnt a woman as the first name is, if my memory is correct, is Frank!!!

I am not sure if it is a test pressing or acetate but it just has a blank United label with typed info on it.

And finally, if 2 blokes want to get together and have a sing song and one of them wants to play with his organ I am not going to judge them!!!

the key is frank:-

frankie & johnny were lovers. lordy how they could love

they promised to love one another, baby 'neath the stars above,

an' he was her man & he was doin' her wrong...

frank could be a woman then. of course it could be an early gay pride anthem, but we won't go there...

macca

Edited by macca
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!