Ann Sexton on Impel

Chris L

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

4 hours ago, Chris L said:

I've never seen a copy of this only the Seventy Sevens have passed through my hands. Just how rare is it ? They don't seem to come up for sale often. Would you get more than £250.00 for a decent copy ? I have to assume this is the local issue ?

Ann Sexton.jpg

This is the first label, then it was picked up by Seventy Seven records for release.

I have seen it as high as £400 several years ago. 

Some copies did turn up from a ex-jukebox distribution warehouse in the States.  Looked to be about 15/20 copies, ranging in condition.  Some mint to vg.  They have all disappeared into collections now though.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

7 hours ago, samplat said:

Yes that's right. I think I got about six of those copies

i had 5 copies..think they were nearer a hundred in the box a few years ago...split between 3 different ebay sellers

sold 3 more recently 2 £300 mint and a vg+ for £225... not connected to the original find

Social source share

37 minutes ago, dave pinch said:

i had 5 copies..think they were nearer a hundred in the box a few years ago...split between 3 different ebay sellers

sold 3 more recently 2 £300 mint and a vg+ for £225... not connected to the original find

certainly closer to that. they were everywhere it seems.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I wouldnt like to say how many were found exactly, it would just be speculation on my part but there were a fair few went through ebay. Just like the Four Tracks[Mandingo]that turned up around the same time. How many got sold to the speculators privately is anyones guess.:) All I know is I got one. I looked for years and years for this,it was very rare on Impel. A good friend of mine had a copy which came from John Anderson in the early 80s, I tried for years to get him to sell it to me to no avail. When the batch turned up and I got mine through the post,I went round and compared it with his original just make sure they weren't boots. Identical,right down to the fine white dust on the label. Happy days ! It is such a brilliant record isn't it, no matter what label its on.…..Price wise now for a mint Impel copy, I agree with Dave Pinch [£300].  Nice:thumbsup:

Social source share

I had just the one in the recent trickle. Whoever found the stash let them out subtly and sensibly - I was aware of a couple of others at auction but oblivious to a large find. So are we to believe that there were four 25 count boxes in a 100 count carton... At no time did it look like there were this number of mint records coming to market, but if deals for 5-6 copies were being done, that's hardly surprising. What were the sales prices in the bulk-buy deals fellas? Fantastic record by the way and still very hard to come by even now.

Social source share

Always wanted a copy on Impel but never actually got one.

For years I assumed it came out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida as stated on the label and when I was down that area trawling for vinyl hoped I would find/stumble on a copy but I never did.

As usual I was looking in the wrong place I should have been hundred miles away in North Carolina.

Derek

washington-sound.jpg.3882192bcf7ad6b4312

"Over the course of three decades beginning in the late 1950s, David Lee, this unheralded songwriter, musician, producer, and entrepreneur released fourteen 45s and two LPs on his Impel, Washington Sound, and SCOP labels, run out of his Washington Sound record shop in Shelby, North Carolina".

https://theruralsite.blogspot.fr/2012/03/david-lee-carolina-soul-paradise-of.html

Social source share

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 15:15, Chris L said:

I've never seen a copy of this only the Seventy Sevens have passed through my hands. Just how rare is it ? They don't seem to come up for sale often. Would you get more than £250.00 for a decent copy ? I have to assume this is the local issue ?

Ann Sexton.jpg

For some reason the SS copies even in relatively poor condition are going thru Ebay for large amounts. So I think £250 would not be unreasonable based on this.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!