Ever been refused a sale?

Simon T

similar thing i tried to purchase a  Lost Soul secret of mine of JM about 3/4 years back, only to be told it had fallen down the back of a shelf or radiator or something and he couldnt find it.. anyway the sale never happened,..may have been genuine. :D

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mach said:

similar thing i tried to purchase a  Lost Soul secret of mine of JM about 3/4 years back, only to be told it had fallen down the back of a shelf or radiator or something and he couldnt find it.. anyway the sale never happened,..may have been genuine. :D

Edited. My Jack Russel says my grammer is appawling!

Edited by simon t
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

No, not as bad as you, but way back some  25 years ago I bought some vintage rare UK reggae to a Swiss dealer for peanuts through mail. He letted me buy them all (a count of 25 or so of NOS promos with few multiples) but he had to comment that he never heard such shit music in his life. Maybe that was his way to say he was happy to get rid of them ? Some people you know... or still don't !

Social source share

Here's a couple of examples

1) Stood at the bar at a club in Hinckley with my missus some time in the mid 90's - Horace was dj'ing as a guest that night, Well known local lad comes in with a sales box - stuff from a fiver up to the odd £100 sound, including the Ivorys on Despenza ( a £100 sound back then ) - he even had a hand written price list to support the box - showed the missus - she gets all excited - Ivorys her favourite sound = so peeled off a ton and pulled the 45 from the box - '£100 then' said I,

'I ain't selling it to you' - ' Why - no one else here is remotely going to buy £100 sounds said I' - took the box out of my hand and stormed off - muttering something - unintelligible - People standing around asked - 'What was that all about' - 'not a clue' - seemed alright when passing the box to me in the first place. My good lady hates this man to this day with a passion, I know what to say after all this time to rile her.

Feedback from others much later - months I mean -  apparently he thought I'd got too many good sounds already. The green eyed monster eh.

2) Well known dealer from south west of Birmingham put a massive listing of virtually all his personal collection up for auction through Goldmine / Discoveries I  think, again back in the 90's. Usual big build up and definitely no minimum bids on all sounds. Bid £211 on Four Reputations - Call on Me - Millage - - got no confirmation at end of auction so rang to check various bids. Lost out to higher bids on various pieces including - Danny Moore - when it was a serious big ticket piece, casually dropping in a reference to the Four Reputations - again a serious rare piece back then as it still is. ' Yes,  you were high bid but I'm not letting it go for that price - you know it's worth more than that'. 'Actually it's not, as you put it up for auction and the great and the good have been bidding on all your pieces and £211 is what it reached. So honour your pre-auction declaration and I'll send you the money'. 'Don't bother I'm not letting it go for that' and the phone went dead.

Vadnochka

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Only this month, bought a record through Musicstack (which I was very pleased with as it meant I had completed the run of label variations/ demos, but anyway) - was invoiced for it the same day, and paid instantly.
So about a week passes, and I have no record, which is strange as this is just coming from the UK, so I send a follow up email asking for an update and/ or tracking details.... I hear nothing... 12 days later, no record or communication so I raise a case with Paypal, and send a message via musicstack with an "enforced" reply (no response = account frozen) and only then do I get a reply, with an excuse but that they have the record and "will post it tomorrow". 
So tomorrow comes, and I receive a refund, and no explanation..... and that is where I am at with this transaction currently! I don't know about being "refused" as such, but the end effect seems the same - but that is the most baffling, ridiculous waste of time I've had in a while... 

Social source share

When I was trawling the net in the early days, long before most households had access, i was doing very well finding all sorts of stuff $2-$10 in the States. Then a certain little sweetheart published a price guide and I started to get knock backs on boat loads of records, even though they were listed at a given price !. The records would remain on the list but the price would then become what was in the price guide. Any order from the UK seemed to be become an instant red flag to U.S. dealers.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It happens all the time to me. It'll probably happen again with stuff I've ordered this weekend. It's particularly frustrating because I'm collecting very specific copies of lots of things and sometimes spend hours chasing down particular copies only to get a message saying that the record is out of stock or has been sold elsewhere and I was just unlucky that someone ordered it just before me. Very annoying.

Ian D :)

Social source share

Was once at Earl of Donny years ago when Swaggy used to run it and invited our kid up from Oxford ,he was giong through Pat Brady's cheap box ( as anyone who knows our kid, is the first place he looks).

He picked out about half a dozen and handed them to Pat to which Pat went through them and replied why are YOU buying these ? Because i want them was the reply. to which Pat said they must be too cheap i'm not selling them and put them under the counter.Much to our kids disgruntlement (We were very amused by this and never heard the end of it all night)

Edited by smudger
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, smudger said:

Was once at Earl of Donny years ago when Swaggy used to run it and invited our kid up from Oxford ,he was giong through Pat Brady's cheap box ( as anyone who knows our kid, is the first place he looks).

He picked out about half a dozen and handed them to Pat to which Pat went through them and replied why are YOU buying these ? Because i want them was the reply. to which Pat said they must be too cheap i'm not selling them and put them under the counter.Much to our kids disgruntlement (We were very amused by this and never heard the end of it all night)

Knowing your kid he probably thought they were not cheap enough, no matter what price they were :thumbsup:

Social source share

1 minute ago, davidwapples said:

Went to buy a record on here by a well known seller / business , I rang them up and agreed to pay the price they listed it on here but they claimed they had missed the 1 from the price of £120 as it was listed for £20 so wouldnt sell it to me

I was gutted as had a buyer already for it for £100

If it's the same seller I'm thinking of, they have had a tendency to do that - miss digits off prices that is. I've had the same experience.

Social source share

Many moons ago (maybe 35-40yrs ago 'kin 'ell !) went down to London for the day and ended up down Soho (as you do :wicked:) came across a market , think it was Berwick Street ? Anyway found a stall with loads of Soul 45's and had a rumage , as you do and found loads of British CBS demos and the like and then found a copy of that Motown Appreciation Society 45 that I think was done for Dave Godin, was only about £2 (which I suppose was a lot then !) . Handed the records I'd picked to matey on the stall , who was talking to a mate of his and he said " you can't have that one mate this bloke wants it" then his mate said "No , it's ok he can have it" but he still wouldn't sell me it :huh:

Another thing I did that day was go and have a few beers as you do , got on the tube to Tottenham Court rd. went walking about for ages , found a clothes shop , went in tried a pair of really nice (Expensive !!) Navy Blue Italian trousers on but they were a bit long , so the geezer says if you come back at 4pm I'll get them altered , nice one !! Paid him and went for a walk and a few more beers then about 4pm (our Train was going back about 6ish ) said to the lads " better go get my Trousers " Never did find that shop again , so had forked out a weeks wages for a pair of trousers that are still in fooking London !!!!!!!! :(

Sorry for prattling on but the Vinos kicking in :yes:

Swifty:thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Was actually asked to leave a store in Portsmouth VA, when the guy heard my accent.  Was also at a Soul Night darn south many, many moons ago, had never been there before & cant say that it particularly stuck in my mind, other than the fact that when I picked a few discs out of some ones tut box, there was an exchange behind the table with one of his mates & all the prices became suddenly more expensive, when I asked why, I was told his mate had told him who I was....lol, laughable, as I am a bloody nobody, especially when it comes to buying cheap records out of the crap box blind !!!....

Russ 'worst record finder in NATO' Vickers

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 29 January 2016 at 22:52, JNixon said:

yeah quite a few times and usually when the person who posted the sale realises they underpriced it.

Ditto on that one...plus when you ask for more than one copy and they possibly think....why do they want a few copies?

Thats life!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

About a year ago, found a rare lp in Relics Leeds, whilst I was checking the condition (the vinyl in Relics is kept behind the counter so you have to ask for it) the guy looked it up on popsike and realised he had underpriced the record by approx £385 and wouldn't sell it to me.  I was stupid for not just buying the record without checking it!

Social source share

14 minutes ago, reforee said:

Ditto on that one...plus when you ask for more than one copy and they possibly think....why do they want a few copies?

Thats life!

indeed it is. "oh i broke it / cant find it" and so on. people should just be straight.

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Bobby Taylor ="Oh ,Ive been Blessed"= Lebanese issue tamla motown ,starting bid £150 nov 2015 . Runs for a week , no offers, seller relists no offers 1 Polite email from yours truly ,Lower the start bid ,then i can enter ,low start encourages bidders to start a auction battle, reesponse ; Nope , I need , Its worth More I m gonna put it with The amazing manny ! Good idea I agree best of Luck 1 Me watches Manny to enter the massive bidding storm ,No Bobby! DECEMBER ON EBAY AGAIN ,starting bid £ 150 ! Again no bids . Mi Amigo , I think your on Soul source ,17 million people visit ebay sales amonth ,so 16,9999,people are wrong?  Again the very best of luck with "Bobby "if you have not done the deal , have a great day lol  johnny

Social source share

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 13:10, markw said:

I can't remember the record (probably wasn't anything major or rare) but I did once get the infamous "Not selling to you mate. You're not on the approved list" treatment at Stafford.....................

I had that once at Stafford too.

And the classic exchange:

'I'll have this one please'  

'Do you know it?'

'No, but it looks interesting'

'Well if you don't know it, you don't get it'

I got my mate to go up and buy it about 10 minutes later with instructions to say 'yeh! Great track!' when asked if he 'knew it'.

Social source share

10 minutes ago, LiamGP said:

I had that once at Stafford too.

And the classic exchange:

'I'll have this one please'  

'Do you know it?'

'No, but it looks interesting'

'Well if you don't know it, you don't get it'

I got my mate to go up and buy it about 10 minutes later with instructions to say 'yeh! Great track!' when asked if he 'knew it'.

Yep. That's it. Of course, I enjoy reading these days about how the Northern Soul scene was always so welcoming and friendly..................... :g:  Of course it was!! :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I posted this in April last year:

"At an event a few weeks ago I'm flicking thru a very well known record dealer's box, while chatting to him and another DJ/mate of  mine. In the background a record came on which all 3 of us turned and listened to and made favourable comments, not being quite sure what the record was. The dealer then remembered who it was and it's title, ....and by amazing coincidence I had just found it in his sales box, so I pulled it and said, "great, I'll have this".....at which the dealer took it from me and said "sorry i'm keeping it". I thought he was joking, so did my mate, but no, he was serious. "

It was a 30 quidder (!) and turned out to be not too hard to find a few weeks later. I've spent 1000's pounds with this dealer over the years, and for the sake of 30 quid he's lost me as a customer who would probably spend 1,000's in the future. 

8-)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest JonnyMonk

I'm sure I can't be alone in having won a record on eBay for a reasonable sum, only to be refunded straight away with the seller claiming 'it's worth more than that now'...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!