A Motown Production???? Plain Weird

I was just scanning some Pop/Rock stuff I'm putting on e-bay and I scrutinized a great record by a group called Celebration called "Almost Summer". It's essentially the Beach Boys but under a different name whilst they were in between contracts or something. It's a Wilson/Love/Jardine song and quite obviously the Beach Boys at their best. And it's a Motown production, presumably because Motown financed the film. It's the only white film they ever made, it flopped and the Motown soundtrack was issued on MCA. Interesting ay? I never though the Beach Boys and Motown would link up in a million years.

Ian D :)

Celebration.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Different groups.  The first is Mike Love (Beach Boys lead singer) with support (no other Beach Boys in the line-up).

The Mowest one is middle of road soul group.  Included Shirley/Sherlie Matthews of Mirwood fame, and Chuck Bedford who had record on Bell.

Social source share

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almost_Summer

Almost Summer is a 1978 film directed by Martin Davidson, and produced by Motown Productions for Universal Pictures. It is the only Motown theatrical feature not to center on African-American characters. Though not successful at the box office, the film has since acquired a certain degree of historical importance because many observers consider it to be the first of a series of distinctive "youth-genre" films of which other, more prominent examples include Fast Times at Ridgemont High and The Breakfast Club.[

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert