The Inverts - who were they?

Ljblanken

Credit to Dave Moore for this little bit of info to get you started:  https://www.theresthatbeat.com/hitsville2006/playsnds/rec_review_dave_moore.html

The Inverts - Look Out Love (Tower)
CLICK on RECORD to LISTEN!
The Inverts - Look Out Love Tower, 324
I'm presuming this is the same group as Sherry And The Inverts who recorded "I'm Lost" on the same label.

This particular record features a female lead, ably supported by male back ups on an excellent mid to uptempo drum and guitar based track. Not sure if it's the same group who recorded "Time Will Change" on MGM, it may
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The lead singer on look out love is Timi Yuro. If you can find the literature on the rear of some of the non soul LPs it mentions she did work with the Inverts. I got rubbished for this years ago, but I remember reading it. And I have a good memory for rubbish anyway!

If you have the record listen to it carefully as it cannot be anyone else.

Northern Soul Wheelie Bin Emptier!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ditto, sounds just like Timi. I have 'Look Out Love' by the Inverts, as well as 'I'm Lost' by Sherry and the Inverts which sounds a bit like Timi at times but like another singer at other points of the record. I also have a Bell Test pressing by the Inverts called 'Baby I'm Lost' which is an instrumental version of 'I'm Lost', presumably unreleased. All good tracks I hasten to add. So, who is Sherry then?

Social source share

Sherry sounds nothing like Timi to these cloth ears. Granted on Look Out Love the lead does. But there is nothing in any Timi Yuro bio to suggest it is her which if it is I find strange.  Timi was also under contract to either Liberty or Mercury at the time.

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, chalky said:

Sherry sounds nothing like Timi to these cloth ears. Granted on Look Out Love the lead does. But there is nothing in any Timi Yuro bio to suggest it is her which if it is I find strange.  Timi was also under contract to either Liberty or Mercury at the time.

Yeah, well I never thought such a thing before now, but by reading dun post here I gave it some thought and honestly I dig the idea. I did buy few copies years ago for peanuts and finally even sold mine not long ago because of the "voice" after playing it a last time. And since I don't like Timi Yuro (sorry folks) it all makes sense to my ears. And dun's theory could as well fit Timi's thirst to do a side project "incognito". Why would so many do that and not her ?

Social source share

Speculation in a Yahoo Group from 2013 suggests that the lead singer is Geralene/Geraldine Toomer...

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/spectropop/conversations/messages/48631

I don't know much about the group either, except that, as you say, the lead singer was Geraldine (occasionally, Gereline) "Sherry" Toomer. The BMI data base has her as Gerrie Toomer, and lists two compositions 'Lonely Lover' and 'Say Hey There' (the latter title appears to have been published in the late 1980s, so may be by a different artist).

As far as I know there was only one release on Broadway, and then two on Tower (the second credited to Sherry & The Inverts). The Broadway 45 was produced by "Clarmike Productions", the first Tower single by Gene Redd, the second by Billy Jackson.

The Inverts
Broadway 404 (1966) - Lonely Lover (Geraldine Toomer) / Time Will Change (Charles Williams)

Tower 324 (1967) - Lonely Lover (Gereline Toomer) / Look Out Love (Barry Barney)

Sherry & The Inverts
Tower 418 (1968) - I Was Made To Love You (Billy Jackson) / I'm Lost (Billy Jackson)

'Lonely Lover' on Tower (credited to Gereline Toomer) is a different (inferior, in my opinion) version of the Broadway cut from a year before. All six songs can be found on Youtube.

Social source share

"Granted on Look Out Love the lead does"

"Speculation in a Yahoo Group from 2013 suggests that the lead singer is Geralene/Geraldine Toomer.".

"Timi was also under contract to either Liberty or Mercury at the time."

Good reason to give a young girl at the time a chance under a different name for contract reasons. Not the first time an artist has done this.

Dunc 

Social source share

On 02/02/2016 at 21:18, dunc said:

"Granted on Look Out Love the lead does"

"Speculation in a Yahoo Group from 2013 suggests that the lead singer is Geralene/Geraldine Toomer.".

"Timi was also under contract to either Liberty or Mercury at the time."

Good reason to give a young girl at the time a chance under a different name for contract reasons. Not the first time an artist has done this.

Dunc 

I know acts moonlight. But usually they are neglected artists at their labels. Timi was recording with some success.

reading the above are you suggesting Geralene Sherry Toomer is in fact an alias for Timi?

But If you want to belive it is Timi I'm not going to argue. 

Social source share

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 21:44, dunc said:

The lead singer on look out love is Timi Yuro. If you can find the literature on the rear of some of the non soul LPs it mentions she did work with the Inverts.  

Sounds like Timi , but I would have thought if this information was mentioned on back of LP sleeves it would be a well known fact to fans of hers and would be mentioned in Timi Yuro bios.

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!