Unknown Motown-related acetate - anyone identify the artist?

baudrillard

Not strictly soul, but definitely soul-related. I have a one-sided Emidisc acetate of what sounds like a white British artist doing a slow version of the Smokey-penned What Love Has Joined Together. Can't find any info on British artists ever releasing this, so I'm assuming it's unissued. Anyone knows better or can identify the artist, I'd be grateful. Thanks in advance

what love.mp3

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest johnny hart

Great motown Smokey tune from 62,done by;  mary Wells, Barbara mc Nair, Rita Wright, Miracles and Tempts. Early 60s UK producers would seek out US toons to grab a Blighty hit. Does it possibly sound like any of the following wannabees; Beryl marsden{ "Lets Go Somewhere" and " When The Love Lite"} , Martin  Raynor {"Candy To me"}, Helen shapiro ["Shop Around"} or John Leyton with an unlikely cover of the Tempts equally great " I Want a Love I Can See" .After all that trying to show you what smart arse i am , I Have Not got a clue ? LOL .

Social source share

15 minutes ago, davebanks said:

Could it be Bobby Rio who sang with the Essex group the Revelles? And covered the tops ask the lonely.

Dave Banks

Just listened to that and, although there are similarities in the voice, to my ears Rio sounds a bit more croonerish than this fella, but who knows? Thanks for the post, in any case. Wasn't aware of that version.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!