the adventures - easy baby

Nitram

We've talked about Compass Records regarding The Ohio Players.  I had always thought it was a Midwestern ( Ohio) label.  But people on this forum said it was a New York label, reminding me that Johnny Brantley worked out of New York.  Yet, I don't remember seeing ANY New York artist getting a Compass release.  I assumed that these Adventurers are the same Milwaukee group that had releases on Chicago's Ran-Dee and Blue Rock.  Is this true?  Or were they a different, East Coast Group?  Didn't Greg Perry work out of Detroit?  Wasn't he a cousin of one of The Temptations (or someone at Motown)?

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

13 hours ago, RobbK said:

We've talked about Compass Records regarding The Ohio Players.  I had always thought it was a Midwestern ( Ohio) label.  But people on this forum said it was a New York label, reminding me that Johnny Brantley worked out of New York.  Yet, I don't remember seeing ANY New York artist getting a Compass release.  I assumed that these Adventurers are the same Milwaukee group that had releases on Chicago's Ran-Dee and Blue Rock.  Is this true?  Or were they a different, East Coast Group?  Didn't Greg Perry work out of Detroit?  Wasn't he a cousin of one of The Temptations (or someone at Motown)?

Right; they were at times the Ohio Players (Capitol & Compass), the Adventurers (Ran-Dee, Music World, Blue Rock), the Chosen Few (Maple/Canyon)) with Gregg Perry involvement here and there on different formations and team under Johnny Brantley's supervision.

Edited by tlscapital
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The matrix Numbers are scratched not stamped, and should read C 222 / C 221. hope this helps. Fantastic record, I Just love it, reminds me of VA VA`s in Bolton.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

Get the Issue then you won't have to worry..... :-)image.thumb.jpeg.3356603fec16cca9052f157

and very pretty dave...lol, just checked mine got the name ian ohara stratched on easy baby side and on the flip richard broughton + address very neatly

stratched. are either on here?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, russoul1 said:

and very pretty dave...lol, just checked mine got the name ian ohara stratched on easy baby side and on the flip richard broughton + address very neatly

stratched. are either on here?

I am!

Always nice to know where your old tunes end up,  I started putting details on the flip side after buying a copy of the Volcanos "False alarm" from Derek Banner where he had very neatly engraved his name etc on there  - I stopped putting my address on by '77ish, so I would guess it must be from my first collection.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Are there two boots? One with CO-7010 and one with C222, both scratched in. My copy has black text, no radio station reference, C222 scratched in and no R stamp. I thought that it was a second issue or a boot. Can anyone confirm please.

Edited by Millo
Social source share

11 hours ago, Rich B said:

I am!

Always nice to know where your old tunes end up,  I started putting details on the flip side after buying a copy of the Volcanos "False alarm" from Derek Banner where he had very neatly engraved his name etc on there  - I stopped putting my address on by '77ish, so I would guess it must be from my first collection.

ive had your old copy a few years now, brought it of james trouble, but its amazing that you owned this near on 40 yrs ago

so I take it the other name I mentioned on easy baby side was before you rich?

Social source share

13 hours ago, russoul1 said:

ive had your old copy a few years now, brought it of james trouble, but its amazing that you owned this near on 40 yrs ago

so I take it the other name I mentioned on easy baby side was before you rich?

No it must have been after me, there were no other names on it when I had it.  

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!