San Diego shops

4 hours ago, Dave Harrison said:

San Diego - Can anyone recommend any decent record shops to spend a few hours in ? Failed miserably last time !!

Any advice welcome!

Cheers

Dave

Dave try out near the university there's a shop there I pulled a few from, trust me they know about NS , also there's a few second hand places like antique shops never saw 45 s all shirt LPs in the long beach area. 

Do mission beach, roller coaster old wood one. Corvette dinner, and go over the bay bridge to the beech close to the air base - don't do Mexico trash

Have fun 

Social source share

Truthfully SD is pretty scorched for records (stores anyways) at the moment.

Best bet depending on what you're after right now is Folk Arts Records

All the others (Record City, M Theory, Red Brontosaurus etc) aren't worth it.

Tijuana has at least one great store (La Circuela Electrica) which is cheaper than any of the SD stores.

Social source share

7 hours ago, Dave Harrison said:

San Diego - Can anyone recommend any decent record shops to spend a few hours in ? Failed miserably last time !!

Any advice welcome!

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Good luck over there but I can tell you the Sweet Soul collectors,and there,s loads of them in California have pretty much got it covered as far as vinyl is concerned.

Kev

Social source share

Was there last year but the shops had nothing....sent Chris Anderton  a FB contact for you who might be able to hook you up with a few guys if you have a spare couple of hours one evening....this worked out okay for me but I was buying mainly R&B so don't know if they will have much Northern etc.

Fantastic place though.....

Edited by Mace
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

There was a place out st Encinitas or that area, but it was full of LPs

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&um=1&ie=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=uk&sll=32.7556498,-117.1283787&sspn=0.0002136,0.0003386&q=music+record+shop+el+cajon+blvd

best shopping Viejas out on I8    I think it's the Alpine turn off

best beach - Coronado beach

Romona is a nice small town they use to do car nights on a friday

Escondido the Main Street reminds me of American Graffiti 

Temecula - is an old cowboy out west town all wood and broad walks 

Borrego Springs - real dessert area

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was there in June and found zilch. I asked my SD host where the vinyl joints were and she dropped me off at two or three. Also tried a Sunday morning yard sale crawl up in the University Heights area. One guy had a huge box of classic Soul 45s, mainly 70s stuff, but all beaten to fook and sleeveless. It was hot and I got bored very quickly. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

it's so weird these days, totally blown out for records, dudes setting up for 12 hour shifts at local spots with laptops & just run all the stock through their computers over a couple of days, some crazy "no stone left ungoogled" nonsense.  as a record city SD should be better :( 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!