The Missing Link

Steve G

Heard a lot about "gaps" in the scene and the one that strikes me isn't modern mouldies (sorry Mikey), but good plain old 60s soul. Now we used to have great 60s soul nights in and around London - where you could hear such classics as "lipstick traces", Spellbinders "Help me", the un PC "She blew a good thing" :lol: , Darrell Banks, Dells, Radiants, Maxine brown, etc. some of the better Tamla Toytown, but basically good old rip roaring 60s soul (as opposed to northern - though there would be some of that as well).

Seems like there is nowhere that plays this now, and whilst I realise most people probably have many of these records, they still sound great out. So for my money there is a real gap in the market place for an authentic 60s soul night 8-1. Am I the only person that thinks this way? :yes:

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

That'll do nicely sir.

hi, i agree that there is a gap in the market , a kind of halfway house , so we've opened The Attic in Mansfield with much the same sentiments. I'ts just a small club ,playing the stuff you play at home but never hear out nowadays.At the moment its working, so we're gonna keep going, while trying to introduce a bit of rarer and underplayed bits,,Kev.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Heard a lot about "gaps" in the scene and the one that strikes me isn't modern mouldies (sorry Mikey), but good plain old 60s soul. Now we used to have great 60s soul nights in and around London - where you could hear such classics as "lipstick traces", Spellbinders "Help me", the un PC "She blew a good thing" :lol: , Darrell Banks, Dells, Radiants, Maxine brown, etc. some of the better Tamla Toytown, but basically good old rip roaring 60s soul (as opposed to northern - though there would be some of that as well).

Seems like there is nowhere that plays this now, and whilst I realise most people probably have many of these records, they still sound great out. So for my money there is a real gap in the market place for an authentic 60s soul night 8-1. Am I the only person that thinks this way? :yes:

Talking of which. I used to love Cello's Coast to Coast nights when they were at Marble Arch. I didnt enjoy them so much in Shoreditch.

They played rare stuff as well as some great soul like you mention.

Are they still going? He used to attract a very diverse crowd.

Social source share

Some of the tracks you mention Steve were played at These Old Shoes, which while concentrating on rare/Northern, had all the feel of a "proper" sixties soul club.

Would the description you are looking for be Club Soul, as my definition of that would include the stuff you refer to?

Back in April, Martin RBMan kindly invited me to join him in a session at Bar 12 in Hatfield, which was a sixties and Motown evening, basically club soul. I did CD-Rs (shock, horror) and tried to use slightly lesser known tracks by well known singers, but the people there wanted the songs they knew.

Nice to hear that sort of material, but from a personal point of view, I heard all the biggies from that era (early/mid/late) sixties at the time. It might end up with continual requests for "play something we know", e.g. In The Midnight Hour, I Can't Help Myself, etc.

While I didn't take part in the Northern scene in the 70s, I understand that the Atlantic / Stax type records were dropped from playlists after the Twisted Wheel, is that right? So it might be nice to hear some of the lesser known records in that style out in a club. I used to dance to them then, so could now I imagine.

I've noticed Loretta Williams' Baby Cakes on a few playlists lately. I remember that one from when it was issued (65/66).

Others that might be nice to hear again at the sort of night you hope for might include:

William Bell - Don't Stop Now (played by Nogsy at the CSC); Monkeyin' Around

Billy Young - The Sloopy

Tommy Duncan - Dance Dance Dance

Impressions - It's All Right; Talking About My Baby; You Must Believe Me, etc.

Major Lance - Monkey Time (still a fantastic dance record imo)

Derek Martin - Daddy Rolling Stone

Solomon Burke - Got To Get You Off My Mind

Rufus Thomas - Willy Nilly; anything off the Walking The Dog LP

Miracles - That Groovy Thing

James Ray - If you gotta make a fool of somebody

Vibrations - My Girl Sloopy

Shirley Ellis - The nitty gritty; The name game; The clapping song

Jackie Ross - Selfish one; Jerk and twine

Larks - The jerk

Blendells - La la la la la la

Cannibal & The Headhunters - Land of a thousand dances

Betty Everett & Jerry Butler - Ain't that loving you baby

Sorry some of these are pretty well known but brain is slow today. However you get the picture, don't hear many of them at a Northern night (unless I'm DJing, lol). There are loads of lesser known stuff.

It's an interesting idea, actually might get a few people in who are not on the Northern scene, but like soul music, but don't know where to go hear it, people in their 40s or 50s. Obviously have to be advertised.

You're over my neck of the woods Steve, perhaps a soul night for Cheshunt or Enfield?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Been there, done that and if you can start up a venue that I can get to easily I'd have no problems with doing it again, mate!

TONE biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!