1,355 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 (edited)

New Holidays Maybe So Maybe No / If I Only Knew Soulhawk 1008 45 7"

Near Mint condition copy - will accept a sensible offer

£100 £90 £80 PayPal ok

Edited 19 Jun 2010 by mike shawe best

found this from a few years ago

so its a bit of a guess.

the reissue sells for more crazy or what.

ricky.

Social source share

Guest trickbag

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:29 pm: 
    Interesting scans from Robb and Graham. I have the new Holidays on Soulhawk on a Green label pressing and I found the Westbound pressing at a used shop.

"Maybe So, Maybe No..." got some radio play in Detroit. The problem was finding the record because the label was independent and they couldn't afford or keep up with pressings due to demand and radio play, which might explain why Westbound took it over?

It was included on a vocal group CD, a bootleg disc. I've got it somewhere around the house.

Soulful Detroit

ricky.

r

Social source share

RE: The Westbound press of The New Holidays.

During several conversations with James Holiday of The New Holidays and after playing him "My Baby Ain't A Play Thing" (again several times) he didn't recognize any of the voices involved and vehemently denies ever recording the song. Although obviously a 'Popcorn' Wylie production, so who knows what shenanigans occured between Popcorn and Armen Boladian when Westbound picked it up, thus the true identity of the performers is still to be found.

Dave

Edited by Louise
    • Helpful 2
    Social source share

Guest trickbag

Maybe So, Maybe No’ by the New Holidays was the fifth of six 45s (seven but one was issued twice) on Tony Hester and Richard ‘Popcorn’ Wylie’s Soulhawk imprint.

Released in 1969, it was the first of two 45s (the second issued on Westbound in 1970) by the New Holidays, James and Jack Holland, Maurice Wise and (at least on this track) ex-Contour Joe Billingslea.

Almost all of the tracks recorded on the label were Wylie/Hester compositions, with artists like Jimmy ‘Soul’ Clark, Eric and the Vikings, The Mighty Lovers and Third Party.Wylie had gotten his start at Motown, as part of Popcorn and the Mohawks, also working as a songwriter and session musician. After parting with Motown, he went on to found his own labels, one of which was Soulhawk.

Funky16Corners

Up for sale is a rare 45 by New Holidays released on Westbound Records. Produced by Popcorn Wylie. Hard to find promo copy! This is 100% guaranteed an original pressing! EBAY

ricky.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!