Hinckley leisure centre

Pga1

14 hours ago, Johnny One Trout said:

Ric Tic Revue also made an appearance at the Ritz in Manchester (All Dayer if I recall correctly)

Notts Palais too.

I missed the Ric Tic nighter, why I don't remember as I did most Hinckley nighters. 

Remember one nighter, as mentioned before the Major Lance one - it was my then Girlfriends first nighter. We spent what seemed life half an hour squashed against the glass doors trying to get in. Chaos - and some would have you think nighters were all empty back then :)

Social source share

4 hours ago, Byrney said:

Notts Palais too.

I missed the Ric Tic nighter, why I don't remember as I did most Hinckley nighters. 

Remember one nighter, as mentioned before the Major Lance one - it was my then Girlfriends first nighter. We spent what seemed life half an hour squashed against the glass doors trying to get in. Chaos - and some would have you think nighters were all empty back then :)

Yeah I went to that mate, bought a yellow copy of the Superlatives for a fiver - funny how some things stick in your mind, can't remember much else about it :(

Edited by Steve L
Social source share

On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 12:25, Steve L said:

Yeah I went to that mate, bought a yellow copy of the Superlatives for a fiver - funny how some things stick in your mind, can't remember much else about it :(

I remember we stayed up after Hinckley and ended up at a Dayer at Newcastle Tiffs (Staffordshire) with Major on there too - now that was empty must have just a couple of hundred in tops. 

My girlfriends first nighter too and it ends up a weekender. No wonder she dumped me :)

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

I have a full album of photos I took at the Ric Tic Review show staged @ the Ritz in Manc. The album is back in the UK though and is old pre-digital print format (& my scanner gave up the ghost a while ago).

Seem to recall Rob Wigley (?) giving me a good shot of Edwin Starr on stage @ Hinckley that he had taken at the show, so he may have other gud uns.

I also have 100's of artist photos from every Cleggy Weekender from the 1st thru to 2014 (last year's was the 1st I ever missed). Also photos from uda weekenders and live shows in London (100 Club & other venues). Some photos of soul singers I've met up with in UK & US.  

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Hiya, some cracking stuff appearing.  Mark regarding alkin suite, there was a group of us that put do's on there originally wednesday then Mondays  plus the old st johns on a Friday and to cap it all dayers at stoke rd boys club(Tom towers). Still some badges knocking around with the tall tin hat.  Excellent stuff folks, cheers

• Helpful 1
Social source share

59 minutes ago, Roburt said:

I have a full album of photos I took at the Ric Tic Review show staged @ the Ritz in Manc. The album is back in the UK though and is old pre-digital print format (& my scanner gave up the ghost a while ago).

Seem to recall Rob Wigley (?) giving me a good shot of Edwin Starr on stage @ Hinckley that he had taken at the show, so he may have other gud uns.

I also have 100's of artist photos from every Cleggy Weekender from the 1st thru to 2014 (last year's was the 1st I ever missed). Also photos from uda weekenders and live shows in London (100 Club & other venues). Some photos of soul singers I've met up with in UK & US.  

Hi Roburt

I can scan them and digitise if you have no scanner?

Social source share

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 17:24, chalky said:

Echoes advert

56c8a1368b2ef_RicTicRevueEchoesAdDecembe

That's it look right there......Terry, Gainsborough.....

Cheers,

Mark R

8 hours ago, Pga1 said:

Hiya, some cracking stuff appearing.  Mark regarding alkin suite, there was a group of us that put do's on there originally wednesday then Mondays  plus the old st johns on a Friday and to cap it all dayers at stoke rd boys club(Tom towers). Still some badges knocking around with the tall tin hat.  Excellent stuff folks, cheers

That would be the boys club where I used to play football then.....out towards Morrisons??........well, well!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Yes mate, Tom towers boys club, Brian Rae was always on here. The badge on the right was drawn by Steve Hayes as we sat in the crown one night, steve spins a few tunes down our do at prince. Gleaming dm's then and still gleaming now. Cheers

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Gene Chandler.... Can't remember where I took this though, but the wall and the railings in the background look similar to the Major Lance pic I took above...

Gene.jpg

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

12 hours ago, Awake 502 said:

Gene Chandler.... Can't remember where I took this though, but the wall and the railings in the background look similar to the Major Lance pic I took above...

Gene.jpg

Not Hinckley..........as I recall the GC gig was in the small hall which has no balcony...........and besides that balcony doesn't look the same as HLC big hall, but it's close.  HLC has concrete pillars every so often along the length of the railings. 

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
Social source share

Hiya, yep thought about contacting times as they do loads of nostalgia stuff, if people are ok with their photos etc being used  but  being serious here which is very rare I really have not got a clue about  technical stuff. If my kids were here no prob, but my one finger typing is getting better. VG -   I'd say.    Cheers

Social source share

Guest DaveWatts
On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 15:47, Mark R said:

Sports halls.......obviously, big room on one side (Ric-Tic)/anniversary etc...........small hall back corner near rear car park...........smaller events in hear, though my memory tells me the Gene Chandler gig was in the small hall.

Used to have audience seating out for the bigger events.....I remember it for the Ric-Tic and the Chuck Jackson gigs.......

There was a Major Lance live at Hinckley LP......this was before I started going ('82) but I borrowed the album off someone and taped it years ago, must have the tape somewhere............LP cover was a simple monochrome affair.....white with B&W picture of Major and "Major Lance Live at Hinckley" in black text...........

Cheers,

Mark R

Hi Mark, I have that Album and was at the nighter

Social source share

On 23 February 2016 at 00:15, Awake 502 said:

Gene.jpg

I was at this gig too... .    I had one mate shouting for "nothing can stop me" and another for "get down"

he did em both, so we all went home happy, great night 

Social source share

Ok spoke to my colleagues at Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council. They are very interested and someone from the appropriate department will be calling me. An "end of an era" event has been mooted as a possibility if there would be enough interest. I'm no promoter - I don't even go to events any more. 

Anyone?

Peter

Social source share

Actually if there was a last night  would they play 3 b 4 wrecking ball-  hole in the wall- packers.  Johny Johnson - breaking  down the walls  and dean Parrish - broken bottles and sticks.  All. On demo of course.  Cheers

Social source share

On 2/25/2016 at 15:51, Pga1 said:

Hiya, Peter and anyone else interested, the local paper ( Hinckley times) are going to do a piece. They want a few photos etc.  mark , anyone ?  Cheers

Unfortunately I don't have photo's from there which is a shame....nor from Stafford.........I think Oddfellows and Warrington Parr Hall are the only places I have photo's of..........it wasn't such a big thing back then was it, photographs?

If I can help with ticket, flyer scans then no problem, quite happy to!

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 7 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!