Clubs In Manchester Mid To Late 70's

above from the man who had the first copy of City of Angels LP by The Miracles, whish he brought down to the Piccadilly Club, and Brian Walker promptly scratched biggrin.png

Anyway, Try The Pendulum, Ashton Tiffs, Duckinfield Rugby Club, Carolines, Black Bird,

Rafters( complete wth live appearance of Major Lance), Rowntrees Sound &Spring Gardens(later Barons) Belle Vue.

And More.

Thats funny, he did exactly the same with my motown commodores machine gun lp with the zoo on.

Tony

Edited by Budgie
Social source share

Guest east rob

Has anyone mentioned Druffy's in Dukinfield....Duckinfield Rugby Union Football Club.....Dave Stubbs was one of the dj's there......Dave Griffin?????

Stubbsy had some proper tunes. but Druffies had the worst dance floor ever :)

Social source share

Has anyone mentioned Druffy's in Dukinfield....Duckinfield Rugby Union Football Club.....Dave Stubbs was one of the dj's there......Dave Griffin?????

Funny was only talking to Dave about Druffies yesterday :)  Tiffanies in Ashton tuesday nights very slippy dancefloor :ohmy:  Blazes in Stockport Saturday nights above a car salesroom IIRC very dodgy place used to go alone non of my mates would go there .

Remember two Rowntrees the one in Spring gardens had a female DJ I think . There was always the Funk Room on the top floor of Placemate Seven and on a Sunday night Roosters on Burnage lane used to have a funk do :)  Great days :thumbup:

post-14807-0-22428300-1385696515.jpg Blazes Stockport

Edited by Mark S
Social source share

Guest astevec

Drew, was that what was once the Tabernacle [think it was called that]. Used to be allnighters there in late 60's.

I do remember Martyn Ellis at Torch but not so much the Pendulem. Maybe there as a punter and perhaps a guest spot. Richard was deffo a regular attender up until he got behind the decks and Va Va's started whilst he was dj-ing at Pendulem.

I have spoken to Zan a few times over past couple of years and he denies being a "scary looking ginger-haired Scottish guy" and his wife attested to him being a big pussycat at heart. I, of course, thought better of putting the counter argument.

What was that guy who ran a few things with Siz. Martin ? Always going round asking "What's the buzz".

ROD

Presume u mean Martin "What's the buzz on the streets" Christie? Dj'd as MJC. Lived in Leve. Was out with Carts (he posted earlier in the thread) recently who told me he's now a barrister or such. Think there was some problem between him and Siz/Tony Just 78ish over Belle Vue and/or Carousel.

There was a northern night at a club nr Piccadilly Bier Keller, run by Dave Evison/Brian Rae, can't remember name tho, don't think piccadilly club, but...

The mandatory hamburgers at Gaetano's were nearly as bad as the 103 club in Bury.

Edited by astevec
Social source share

Guest astevec

Rowntrees sound   was a pub with a small disco behind that opened thurs to sat playing current soul and disco sounds  of the day,  The pub was THE  main meeting place for the Manchester soul crowd,   regulars included     Jonah, Johnny Mac ,  Steve Proudlove , Zan, Gordon Thompson , Ricky Warburton  Barry Big eyes , Steve Dodd,  Mad Tony, Eddie Battin,  and many  many more ,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Most trips to Wigan started here  and also the out of towners on route to Wigan would call in as it was near to the train station   , underneath was another club that at one point was called Rufus playing current imported soul mainly , Dj, Mike Shaft, who was also a regular in Rowntrees ,   Have read threads and stuff in books recently talking about the intimidating heirachy they encountered at some northern venues ,believe me, if you could handle Rowntrees , you could handle anywhere .                                                                                                      Still pass it regularly , sad to see it now as some soulless wine bar , Zinc i think it is called .                                      

Remember meetin up with u a fair few times b4 gettin the train to Wigan. The club downstairs did have northern nights, on a fri i think, til it got busted by the DS 79/80ish i'd guess.

Social source share

Remember Tiffs in Manchester, pipps think it changed to Placemate 7 or the other way round! spring gardens, Top of the town, Popin above the Coop in Moss side,

Wasn't placemate 7 the upstairs of the wheel whitworth street ?

Bernadette's on Princess Parkway, The Oaks in Chorlton,

Cheers Jim.

Social source share

A short lived All-Nighter, run by Russ & Richard called Sobers.

It was on Great Cheetham Street near the crossroads with Bury New Road.

It was a Friday Night thing, I think there was only 2 or 3 circa 74 or 75.

I want to the 1st night, but did not go again.

I remember it wasn't busy.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Remember Sobers, vaguely, not for any Northern or Soul connection, but if i recall correctly it was an alcohol free night club-hence the name...

Short lived, wonder why  ?? :g:

Social source share

Guest astevec

I went to a do run by richard at a place round brown st/spring gdns mid/l8 70s. Think it was a nighter as we didnt leave to go til well after throwin out time, met at a m8s in sale. Again, not well attended.

Edited by astevec
Social source share

Re Sobers club on Great Cheetham street , Yes i t opened as an alcohol free club,I was at the opening night, guest of honour , Jimmy Saville !  They had Saturday night soul and funk all nighters for a couple of months in 1975, which usually had a live act on, think sweet sensation played once, these were quite poor as by 3.30 ish almost everyone was asleep !   also there were a few northern all nighters  a few months later , these were better , a guy called Carlos djed ( same Carlos that used to do Carolines on a Tuesday)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                the place lasted less than a year , most things that set up there didnt last too long ,    In its time it was the Lower Broughton Assembly Rooms,   The Whisky A Go Go, The Riverboat club, Sobers , a roller skating rink , then back to a nightclub before being bulldozed  to make way for a Macdonalds .                                                                                                                                    Just to clarify Steve, its Martin Christie who is the Barrister and not me ( in case you were wondering )

Social source share

Guest astevec

Remember carlos @ carolines on deansgate, 74ish? Saw sweet sensation @ hard rock in stretfud, always a dodgy place to get out of alive!

Social source share

Re Sobers club on Great Cheetham street , Yes i t opened as an alcohol free club,I was at the opening night, guest of honour , Jimmy Saville !  They had Saturday night soul and funk all nighters for a couple of months in 1975, which usually had a live act on, think sweet sensation played once, these were quite poor as by 3.30 ish almost everyone was asleep !   also there were a few northern all nighters  a few months later , these were better , a guy called Carlos djed ( same Carlos that used to do Carolines on a Tuesday)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                the place lasted less than a year , most things that set up there didnt last too long ,    In its time it was the Lower Broughton Assembly Rooms,   The Whisky A Go Go, The Riverboat club, Sobers , a roller skating rink , then back to a nightclub before being bulldozed  to make way for a Macdonalds .                                                                                                                                    Just to clarify Steve, its Martin Christie who is the Barrister and not me ( in case you were wondering )

I knew martin Christie late 70,s think he actualy lived in leigh,was a heavy drinker and as dodgy as they come with money.Not surprised to hear he ended up a barrister,had the perfect credentials for the job lol.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Presume u mean Martin "What's the buzz on the streets" Christie? Dj'd as MJC. Lived in Leve. Was out with Carts (he posted earlier in the thread) recently who told me he's now a barrister or such. Think there was some problem between him and Siz/Tony Just 78ish over Belle Vue and/or Carousel.

There was a northern night at a club nr Piccadilly Bier Keller, run by Dave Evison/Brian Rae, can't remember name tho, don't think piccadilly club, but...

The mandatory hamburgers at Gaetano's were nearly as bad as the 103 club in Bury.

Think this one was Broosters or brewsters?  I used to go to it but can't remember the year.

Tuesday nights I think

Louis

• Helpful 1
Social source share

MJC aka Martin Christie what a rogue remember him doing a hour spot at the Carousel using "One Bootleg L.P." Trying to chat over mike while flipping the album and randomly dropping the stylus mid track with the volume full on.

Also recall him paying me for a spot with a bag full of 2 pence pieces! of course it was well short but he had disappeared by then.....

God help you if he was your Barrister?

Triode

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Remember carlos @ carolines on deansgate, 74ish? Saw sweet sensation @ hard rock in stretfud, always a dodgy place to get out of alive!

The Hard Rock was a very handy 400 yards from my house. They ran a few Northern nights under its The Village tag on Wednesday nights in the mid 70's I remember Andy Peebles DJing there.

Social source share

I knew martin Christie late 70,s think he actualy lived in leigh,was a heavy drinker and as dodgy as they come with money.Not surprised to hear he ended up a barrister,had the perfect credentials for the job lol.

Had a very interesting drive home from Wigan once with Martyn, tell you about it some time. :ohmy:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Hard Rock was a very handy 400 yards from my house. They ran a few Northern nights under its The Village tag on Wednesday nights in the mid 70's I remember Andy Peebles DJing there.

Saw Jr Walker there one night. Awesome.

Social source share

Guest astevec

Brewsters, remember the name now, l8 70's sounds about right.

Think I was at the Jr Walker night and a couple of the northern nights. It was the 1st place i went to that had plastic glasses!

Martin was def living in leve about 79ish as i worked just off stockport rd and used to see him went i went out for a dinner time beer. A lovable rogue? Have a few stories meself.

Another dodgy club to get out alive from was Barbarellas in Eccles, early 70's, played a lot of northern when i went underage.

Social source share

Remember Tiffs in Manchester, pipps think it changed to Placemate 7 or the other way round! spring gardens, Top of the town, Popin above the Coop in Moss side,

Bernadette's on Princess Parkway, The Oaks in Chorlton, 

Cheers Jim.

Pips was behind the cathedral. Placemate 7 was the name of the club on the Wheel site in Whitworth Street. The Solem Bar at the university union had a great soul night on Tuesdays. There was a Sunday allayer on the road going past the prison but can not recall it. Do remember the suit of armour in the middle of the dance floor at Rafters. Across the street from Rafters was a club where Tommy Hunt featured, had palm trees in the upstairs room but can not recall the name. Sure was a good place to be in the mid to late 70's though.
Social source share

Pips was behind the cathedral. Placemate 7 was the name of the club on the Wheel site in Whitworth Street. The Solem Bar at the university union had a great soul night on Tuesdays. There was a Sunday allayer on the road going past the prison but can not recall it. Do remember the suit of armour in the middle of the dance floor at Rafters. Across the street from Rafters was a club where Tommy Hunt featured, had palm trees in the upstairs room but can not recall the name. Sure was a good place to be in the mid to late 70's though.

Cloisters?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The place with the suites of armour in alcoves was I think Cloisters opposite the Palace theatre and no longer there [the building that is]. Dave Withers and the ultimate lover of modern soul Uncle Rod did a night there but it didn't catch on. Don't ask what year..Last weeks a blur.

dean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pips was under the corn exchange near the cathedral and featured several small rooms playing different styles of music. the clip is obviously the roxy/bowie room rather than the jazz-funk! Placemates is Whitworth Street Wheel again carved up into different themes. Later it was a largely gay club called The State and I used to play a night called Djangos in the early 1990's playing rare funk/jazz/reggae etc. Remember arriving early one wet and windy friday to find the bass bins kaputt so snuck down into the dungeon to nick those ones. Didn't think anyone would notice.

dean

Social source share

I lived old Trafford and used to go to the village/hard rock Andy Peebles was the resident dj, did you live firswood or stretford/ gorse hill

Edited by mark b
Social source share

Are you talking about Oxford Street between Whitworth Street/BridgewaterStreet and Portland Street/Chepstow Street.....was it called Romanovs.....later became The Long Bar?

Romanoffs was originally Rotters or vice versa, when Rotters closed the people who opened it and renamed it were a bit stuck as the whole place was carpeted and the design in the carpet was a large R so they had to stick with a name beginning with R bit of useless info, Siz was resident dj for quite a while also wher they used to record hit man and her.

Social source share

I saw Junior Walker one Monday or Tuesday at a club on Oxford Street in mid 70's, might have been Pips..Did it have a downstairs cellar that played R&B on a Saturday night til 2am...went there a few times...was really good.

Think Brian Phillips had something to do with that maybe

Also saw Al Green + Oscar Toney Jnr + Margie Joseph all on one bill at the Hardrock...one Sunday after a Central all-nighter..helluva weekend!!

Hi Rick how you keeping mate?

Edited by PeteDillon
Social source share

Yep. Thanks for the reminder. Cloisters was the basement with the suit of armour in the basement club. Used to drink pints of lemonade there so not to fall over spinning...didn't make much of a difference though...

I used to go to Rafters 79/80 when it was Jazz Funk with Colin curtis and John Grant as the DJ's. 

Social source share

Guest east rob

Are you talking about Oxford Street between Whitworth Street/BridgewaterStreet and Portland Street/Chepstow Street.....was it called Romanovs.....later became The Long Bar?

The Long Bar was underneath Rotters, It was long... :yes:

Social source share

Guest astevec

The long bar was just up Oxford Rd frm the, long time gone, Oxford pub. Useta go in 16/17 yrs old.

Over the rd was the Playground, nxt to Palace. Goin up, past library, nr Albert Sq was a multi-floor place called Olivers i think. Big sound 73ish

Social source share

The Jazz Funk nights with Colin Curtis and John Grant was in Rafters  the club underneath Fagins

John (who was a "mobile DJ") started a club called the Exit 21 at Milnrow Con. club. Originally with Martyn Ellis, round about 75. Love to get in touch with Pete Thorpe who I met for the first time there.

post-27811-0-62392500-1386364357_thumb.j

John on right, Colin middle.

Social source share

John (who was a "mobile DJ") started a club called the Exit 21 at Milnrow Con. club. Originally with Martyn Ellis, round about 75. Love to get in touch with Pete Thorpe who I met for the first time there.

attachicon.gifrafters.jpg

John on right, Colin middle.

Think John moved down south,didn't he work for British Rail? last  I heard of Pete he was living in the cotswolds.

Edited by micksmix
Social source share

John (TNT)Grant....... no less (due to his love of pyrotechnics) was the main man for a period time last I heard he lived in a lighthouse!

Hi Paul,

yeah,forgot about that,great times,used to be straight in spin inn buying the latest import albums and 12's after hearing them there.Not heard from Pete after the last time he sold up.

Social source share

The Hard rock in Stretford held a few Northern all dayers on Sundays in 1975, remember Colin Curtis there and vaugley remember double decker drum like dance areas , the second floor was opaque so if you looked up you could see the dancers feet above ,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Brewsters was on a Tuesday night i think in 1981, Brian Rae was involved,                                                                    Who ran that record stall in the Oasis market round about 72, 73 ish?   was about 14 at that time and used to go to Spin inn , Ralphs ,Hime and Addison etc, but this place  had a  real buzz to it, especially on a Saturday afternoons,   first time i saw cover ups , remember there was one behind the counter that said " secret sound" £ 30.00 ,                                                                                     The licencing laws would not allow all nighters in the City centre throughout the seventies, first one i remember was Easter Sunday All Nighter  at Pips in 1980, Then Martin Christie was putting them on at rafters on bank holiday Sundays about 82 ish                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Social source share

The Hard rock in Stretford held a few Northern all dayers on Sundays in 1975, remember Colin Curtis there and vaugley remember double decker drum like dance areas , the second floor was opaque so if you looked up you could see the dancers feet above ,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Brewsters was on a Tuesday night i think in 1981, Brian Rae was involved,                                                                    Who ran that record stall in the Oasis market round about 72, 73 ish?   was about 14 at that time and used to go to Spin inn , Ralphs ,Hime and Addison etc, but this place  had a  real buzz to it, especially on a Saturday afternoons,   first time i saw cover ups , remember there was one behind the counter that said " secret sound" £ 30.00 ,                                                                                     The licencing laws would not allow all nighters in the City centre throughout the seventies, first one i remember was Easter Sunday All Nighter  at Pips in 1980, Then Martin Christie was putting them on at rafters on bank holiday Sundays about 82 ish                                                                                                                                                                                                             

The stall in the Oasis was Soul Galore,great atmosphere on saturdays people getting ready for Wigan,think Dave Evison worked there for a while.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I saw Junior Walker one Monday or Tuesday at a club on Oxford Street in mid 70's, might have been Pips..Did it have a downstairs cellar that played R&B on a Saturday night til 2am...went there a few times...was really good.

Think Brian Phillips had something to do with that maybe

Also saw Al Green + Oscar Toney Jnr + Margie Joseph all on one bill at the Hardrock...one Sunday after a Central all-nighter..helluva weekend!!

Hi Rick how you keeping mate?

Hi Pete

I think Junior Walker was on at Placemate (the old Wheel site) sometime in the late 70's or could have been early 80's, not sure if this was the one you went to as I don't remember him appearing at the Oxford Rd club (not Pips), whatever it was called.

Didn't go to the Hardrock as I thought it was a heavy metal venue, the clue in the name, but that show looked good.

Rick

Social source share

Remember all these great Manchester clubs and going to most of them. We also started a Northern night at the Rainbow Rooms in Eccles, actually made my DJ debut alongside Dave Evison.

Caroline's was a fab venue for hearing new tunes and also buying them, remember driving to Prestwitch and back to buy a copy of Garnet Mimms - Looking for you.

With regard to Carlos he was a good old friend who lived in the Irlam / Cadishead area and usd to go to the Casino with us. He became good friends with Richard and acquired some great tunes which became top tunes later in the day. Carlos moved to the USA some years back when his bakery business folded. Sadly he died approx 6 years ago, everyone had lost contact.

Anyone want to pm me its Tony Shawcross (Shawky) was the nick name back then!

Social source share

Remember all these great Manchester clubs and going to most of them. We also started a Northern night at the Rainbow Rooms in Eccles, actually made my DJ debut alongside Dave Evison.

Caroline's was a fab venue for hearing new tunes and also buying them, remember driving to Prestwitch and back to buy a copy of Garnet Mimms - Looking for you.

With regard to Carlos he was a good old friend who lived in the Irlam / Cadishead area and usd to go to the Casino with us. He became good friends with Richard and acquired some great tunes which became top tunes later in the day. Carlos moved to the USA some years back when his bakery business folded. Sadly he died approx 6 years ago, everyone had lost contact.

Anyone want to pm me its Tony Shawcross (Shawky) was the nick name back then!

I didn't know Carlos -Carl Wong- had died, I'm gutted,

Me and Ricky Warburton knew him from being little boys in Ordsall, when his parents had the bakery there, and used to go up to Cadishead in the early 70's where he did a night in a local WMC, where we met Brian Walker for the first time.

He had a great collection, knew he'd moved to the States. Great lad, worst news I've had for a while   :(

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!