Geater Davis

One of my favourite singers has to be the late Vernon Geater Davis. Geater is often seen as just a Bobby Bland soundalike. But there resally was a lot more to him than than that. For me the records of people like Geater Davis bridge the gap between Blues and Soul. Every time I have played them to pure Blues lovers, the reaction has always been one of awe and respect.

post-1904-1100879168_thumb.jpg

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Recently got My love is so strong for you off ebay for $7 and ours was the only bid which really surpised us.

link

Perhaps because it's only a £5-8 record for many years and has been sorley overlooked!

I've got, "Will you wait", "Don't give up" and "Breath taking girl" by him and they are all fantastic tunes . Anyone got a discography? I seem to remember he died of a heart attack aged about 37, a few years ago.

Social source share

I've got these plus an LP DAVIS, GEATER HOUSE OF ORANGE US SWEET WOMAN'S LOVE

DAVIS, GEATER ACE 3006 NICE & EASY / STRANGE SENSATION

DAVIS, GEATER ACE 3019 THERE'S GOTTA BE SOME CHANGES MADE / TIRED OF BUSTING MY BRAIN

DAVIS, GEATER HOUSE OF ORANGE 130 YOUR HEART IS SO COLD / YOU MADE YOUR BED

DAVIS, GEATER HOUSE OF ORANGE 2401 SWEET WOMAN'S LOVE / DON'T MARRY A FOOL

DAVIS, GEATER HOUSE OF ORANGE 2402 MY LOVE IS SO STRONG FOR YOU / I CAN HOLD MY OWN

DAVIS, GEATER HOUSE OF ORANGE 2405 FOR YOUR PRECIOUS LOVE / WRAPPED UP IN YOU

DAVIS, GEATER HOUSE OF ORANGE 2407 BEST OF LUCK TO YOU / I KNOW

DAVIS, GEATER HOUSE OF ORANGE 2410 COLD LOVE / LONG VERSION

DAVIS, GEATER LUNA 804 DON'T WALK OFF ( AND LEAVE ME ) / I DON'T WORRY ( ABOUT JODY )

DAVIS, GEATER MT 2 I'LL TAKE CARE OF YOU / RIGHT BACK FOR MORE

DAVIS, GEATER SEVENTY SEVEN 130 DJ YOUR HEART IS SO COLD / SAME

DAVIS, GEATER SEVENTY SEVEN 136 I'M GONNA CHANGE / I'VE GOT TO PAY THE PRICE

Paul

SITC

Social source share

I've got these plus an LP DAVIS, GEATER HOUSE OF ORANGE US SWEET WOMAN'S LOVE

DAVIS, GEATER HOUSE OF ORANGE 130 YOUR HEART IS SO COLD / YOU MADE YOUR BED

DAVIS, GEATER HOUSE OF ORANGE 2401 SWEET WOMAN'S LOVE / DON'T MARRY A FOOL

DAVIS, GEATER HOUSE OF ORANGE 2402 MY LOVE IS SO STRONG FOR YOU / I CAN HOLD MY OWN

DAVIS, GEATER HOUSE OF ORANGE 2405 FOR YOUR PRECIOUS LOVE / WRAPPED UP IN YOU

DAVIS, GEATER HOUSE OF ORANGE 2407 BEST OF LUCK TO YOU / I KNOW

DAVIS, GEATER HOUSE OF ORANGE 2410 COLD LOVE / LONG VERSION

Thanks. Of the HoO singles are they all Geater Davis or are some just Geater?

Social source share

100's.  All you hear form a lot is the £100's they've spent on each record and hardly ever the the cheap stuff.

link

full marks to likes of robbo, who always pushes out a enjoyable set that has some thought and bollocks behind it... and not just a sheep set thumbsup:

Social source share

That's because some people get behind the "wheels of steel" and "think" they have to put on the "big ones" in case somebody comes and haves a look at what they're playing :lol:   :lol: ....

link

And thinking about it.... I must defend the "big ones" who have come to Ponds Forge as a guest.... they played "what the f*** they liked" irrespective of cost and it was a pleasure to have them.... :lol: ....

Social source share

Geater Davis was one of the South's great lost soul singers, an impassioned stylist whose voice was a combination of sweetness and sandpaper grit. Comparable to the blues-drenched likes of Johnnie Taylor or, especially, Bobby "Blue" Bland, Davis wound up even more of a cult artist than deep soul peers like James Carr or O.V. Wright, having recorded mostly for small local labels during his prime. Davis was born in Kountze, TX, in 1946 and did the vast majority of his recording during the first half of the '70s, often writing or co-writing his own material and occasionally producing or playing guitar as well. He cut an album, Sweet Woman's Love, for the House of Orange label in 1971, and his cover of Jerry Butler & the Impressions' "For Your Precious Love" later became a favorite among British soul collectors. He went on to release singles for Luna ("I Don't Worry (About Jody)") and Ace ("Strange Situation," "Tired of Busting My Brain") before a longer spell with 77, where his output included "Long Cold Winter," "I'm Gonna Change" (recorded at Muscle Shoals), "I've Got to Pay the Price," and "Your Heart Is So Cold," among others. Unfortunately, Davis' records never sold very well, even in spite of heavy touring on the blues and chitlin circuits. He died of a heart attack on September 29, 1984; he was only 38 years old. In 1998, West Side released Sadder Shades of Blue: The Southern Soul Sessions 1971-76, a compilation covering most of the labels for which he recorded (except House of Orange). ~ Steve Huey, All Music Guide
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!