Zz & Co

Guest davidg

Read this in Manship's auction listing re: ZZ:

"Authentic Original! Quick check in case you own the inferior sound quality counterfeit. THE ORIGINAL dead wax has a deeply scratched matrix reading MRP/FR-JB - 51679 -"GRFTG" - Re2 . COUNTERFEIT Lightly scratched matrix FRJB - 51679 - A .then half a turn TLP. Surely the original with strong sound quality is the only 45 worth owning."

I bought a few copies of this 45 from the artist about 16 months back; he had some of each press. When I inquired about the difference I was told the MRP/FR-JB - 51679 is the technical first press, but it was delivered flawed, poor quality vinyl, most copies skipped, so he then reordered with a different plant and the FRJB - 51679 was born. If there is an inferior press, the first would be it. To my ear they both play "loud" the FRJB - 51679 is just on better quality vinyl. I don't know where or what base the rumor of a "COUNTERFEIT" started but I believe the artist has no reason to poorly remember or lie about these things.

Anyway, maybe someone can enlighten me; not trying to talk down John's auction, I just don't believe the FRJB - 51679 is a boot, although there may be a boot of the 45 out there too.

David Griffiths

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Read this in Manship's auction listing re: ZZ:

"Authentic Original! Quick check in case you own the inferior sound quality counterfeit. THE ORIGINAL dead wax has a deeply scratched matrix reading MRP/FR-JB - 51679 -"GRFTG" - Re2 . COUNTERFEIT Lightly scratched matrix FRJB - 51679 - A .then half a turn TLP. Surely the original with strong sound quality is the only 45 worth owning."

I bought a few copies of this 45 from the artist about 16 months back; he had some of each press. When I inquired about the difference I was told the MRP/FR-JB - 51679 is the technical first press, but it was delivered flawed, poor quality vinyl, most copies skipped, so he then reordered with a different plant and the FRJB - 51679 was born. If there is an inferior press, the first would be it. To my ear they both play "loud" the FRJB - 51679 is just on better quality vinyl. I don't know where or what base the rumor of a "COUNTERFEIT" started but I believe the artist has no reason to poorly remember or lie about these things.

Anyway, maybe someone can enlighten me; not trying to talk down John's auction, I just don't believe the FRJB - 51679 is a boot, although there may be a boot of the 45 out there too.

David Griffiths

Hi David,

I own a copy of the "first press" and it plays perfectly, no skips and it looks like pretty good vinyl to me. I'd never heard of the secound press until the first copy on Johns auction a while ago.

Good thread! So how is old Z Z these days then? And what does he make of the UK interest in his wonderful 45?

Cheers Paul Woosnam

Social source share

Paul,

Old ZZ is a bit perturbed at the use of his music on a few cds which he was never sorted for. Otherwise he's in good shape, heavily involved with his church/gospel music.

If you compare the two, the one is a inferior vinyl stock, I'm sure it is rarer though, ZZ trashed the defective ones. Both presses, in nice shape, play great.

D

Edited by davidg
Social source share

Paul,

Old ZZ is a bit perturbed at the use of his music on a few cds which he was never sorted for. Otherwise he's in good shape, heavily involved with his church/gospel music.

If you compare the two, the one is a inferior vinyl stock, I'm sure it is rarer though, ZZ trashed the defective ones. Both presses, in nice shape, play great.

D

Call me a cynic :D:rolleyes: but he ain't done a Elijah Cole has he, seen how well the disc sells and pressed it up again? :lol: He is not going to admit that he repressed them because he has seen the price the record fetch's is he :lol:

Social source share

Call me a cynic :D:rolleyes: but he ain't done a Elijah Cole has he, seen how well the disc sells and pressed it up again? :lol: He is not going to admit that he repressed them because he has seen the price the record fetch's is he :lol:

Just curious but if he has would it be so wrong seeing as he ain't received any cash for it getting used on the so called "legal" compilation cd's? Only one i can think of at the moment is the Soul Supply "Essential Modern Soul Story"

Great record anyway.

Remember Searling playing it covered up as Oscar Perry & yes it did jump near the end.

Social source share

Paul,

D

Good to here "Ole' Z Z" is in good shape and blessed.

Don't own the 2nd press so can"t compare.

Any of his gospel music available on CD? Legally of course!!!

Always thought he had a great voice soulful and earthy.

"I've got ma new clothes oown.....'an I'm ready to shayine!!......Got ma rap laid out for the laaydies, designed to blow theyar minds!....An' I'm ready...!!!"

Er etc etc

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Just curious but if he has would it be so wrong seeing as he ain't received any cash for it getting used on the so called "legal" compilation cd's? Only one i can think of at the moment is the Soul Supply "Essential Modern Soul Story"

Great record anyway.

Remember Searling playing it covered up as Oscar Perry & yes it did jump near the end.

Yes,it did jump at the end :rolleyes: .However,it doesnt mean that those that play right through are second presses.........or does it-it may be that Richard had a scratched copy?
Social source share

Always loved this (28 years since first played on these shores) but also rate the 'other' version on the Jessie Butler Bound Sound LP.

(JB being the original lead on the ZZ & Co 45).

Bugger me, forgot all about that. Great track, pity I can't remember which old tapes it on, mid 80's release?

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest davidg

Call me a cynic :D:thumbsup: but he ain't done a Elijah Cole has he, seen how well the disc sells and pressed it up again? :D He is not going to admit that he repressed them because he has seen the price the record fetch's is he :D

No. The suggestion is reasonable, but based on what I found - I believe the 45s are vintage and were pressed by the musician back in 79'.

Social source share

Guest For Real

Have another great 45 by him, "Free To Be Me" which also features on the Bound Sound LP.

Good stuff!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Ah, I have this 45 (and the zz one) but never knew they were related. Thanks for the info. I like it, but 'getting ready' is the business!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!